My new adventure

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I just sold the speedster :cheers:!

Now, or I should say, I have a 96 xp AND a 96 gxs!

I picked them both up for a grand total of 500.00. Yep, 250.00 each. Titled and all mine!

Now, I have been duking it out with another guy here in Houston for the cheap skis. They are all over here. Anywhere from free (95 xp 800) to 500.00 for my set. I finally scored on these 2, no carbs, but amazing compression. And vts works on both!:thumbsup:
With the boat sold, I can get busy with the skis. I have already gotten the xp carbs, rebuilt them, serviced the pump, and wear ring, greased the electrical system, and replaced the pos carbon seal with an osd bearing setup.

The fuel system was rehabbed by the po, and was done correct.
I have flushed the oil system and replaced the lines and filled with xps2 oil.
I took it to the ramp today, did a test dunk. Passed with flying colors.
Today has been dealing with cl buyers, and buffing out the xp. Sorry, no pics. But soon.

Ok, being new to the x4 family, this thing hauls ass! I blew out one of the Welch plugs, so it cut my ride short.

Being a gxt rider, long boat, nice manners, the xp is a totally different animal!
I really need some advice here.

1 porpising? Is that while going forward, the up and down action?
I was on Galveston bay, light chop, and it was a Lot of up and down.
2. Have a set of beach house sponsors on the way. Turning in a chop is iffiy at best, not sure if the trim should be up, down, neutral?
3 trim.....what is up what is down? Explain to me where the bow would be.....ie...trim down on the handle bar = bow down
4 is it normal to be effing lake wasted after a 40 minute ride?

This is all on the 96 xp. I have a 96 gsx for the wife. Next thread will be about it. But, help me on my ski first!

The X4 will kick your ass in chop. Trim tabs will help and Matt B. Was selling some recently.

I had a spare pipe from a parts ski, 97 gtx, that had a Welch plug blow in the same spot. It's the one on the bottom of the pipe where water sits. Had that welded up. The others were in great shape.
Went to pull the leaking pipe off the xp, and pulled the front motor mount loose. It pulled loose at where the rubber is glued to the metal part. Had a spare from the same parts ski.
Got everything put back together and now that the engine compartment is 100%, I can move on to the buffing the hull, traction mat removal, hood finish (maybe paint, maybe heat gun), fill rivet holes, seat cover.
I have already replaced the carbon seal with the osd bearing setup, rebuilt the pump, new wear ring, flushed and replaced oil and lines, cleaned gas tank, rebuilt carbs.

One thing I can't do is balance shaft oil. It doesn't have the plug to check.

Edit :
I will try to get some pictures up. My weekend was consumed with getting my gsx to my storage. That involved a 50 mile round trip (typical commute here in Houston ). Once I got the ski home, found that the wheel bearing on the passengers side was wasted (more like gone). Saturday was spent gathering parts. Sunday was rebuilding the hubs and lights and a trailer jack. Finally got on the lake around 430, and discovered the Welch plug leaking. Trailered the ski, and took it home and flushed the best I could. Fogged as usual.

Last edited by a moderator:
This was the Saturday I got both skis home. My wife wasn't happy I took her spot with the gsx. The boat has been sold, and the garage is now organized. The xp is on a trailer now where the boat was.
That weekend was super busy. I bought a 97 gtx and trailer. I think it was a divorce sale. The gtx had a motor, seen on the floor, that I can only turn about a quarter turn. The rest of the ski has been completely taken apart for parts. Best 200.00 I spent.

The next day, I went and picked up the 96 xp and 96 gsx for 500.00 total. Both had excellent compression, almost complete skis. Only thing missing was a set of carbs. That's where the gtx came in handy.
The gsx also has the steering locked up. Bushing in the steering column is the issue there. Gtx parts again.
That's where I stand at the moment.

Again, my garage is now clean and tidy. That was just the one weekend.

View attachment 37084

97.jpg

Removed the bacon mats in the footwells

110.jpg

Cleaned footwells and filled holes.
111.jpg

Now I can start the buffing process.

Here's the fixed pipe on
112.jpg

R&D trim tabs
113.jpg

I have taken the middle part off. It's sitting in the spare parts bin

My wife's gsx. I'll start another thread on it when I start on it. It needs more work than the xp.
114.jpg

I have checked the rafters, and they will support the weight of a ski. Of course, it would involve a couple of sections of channel iron and an electric winch. That option is out due to all the crappie in the attic.
I really need to get dimensions on some trailers.

I just checked my double trailers over the weekend.
My Shoreland'r is 186" long, 100" wide.
My Triton is 176.5" long, 96" wide.

BTW: That 96' will clean up nice!

If you take a close look, I pulled all the tails off the diamonds on the left side. That's 500 diamonds. I left the ones on the right side as an experiment. See how long it will take to wear off. That's the only complaint I have about these mats. I think it's just this pattern. Seen the same complaint on here somewhere.

Ok. Nice. Took about an hour to do the one side and decided to call it quits. Guess I have something to do tonight. Next update will involved jet trim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back