RESTO My 95 XP800 Restoration

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

MPower

This site is great for X4 junkies and has really passionate members that put a lot of time into restoring these skis. I wanted to add one more to that growing list. I found this ski just driving through an old neighborhood at the lake, it was sitting outside just rotting away. I tracked down the owner and he literally laughed when I paid him $400 for the ski. Got her home and started tearing it apart. I somehow forgot to get pictures of the inside of the hull, but lets just say it looked like a bomb went off in there. There was sand and water sitting on top of the pistons when I took the head off. Motor was frozen. Carbs were rusted and covered with green slime. I soaked the motor in WD40 and the damn thing broke lose and turned over really nicely. I took the motor apart to clean everything and broke damn near every bolt in the process. It was a nightmare. I did a high pressure kerosene blast on the crank and cases, cleaned the pistons, rings, etc with scotchbrite pads, new gaskets and put her back together. Compression was good and she runs like a raped ape. I can't believe how this motor runs after the shape it was in. Been running strong now for 1.5 years.

On to some pictures!

Last edited by a moderator:

504.jpg

Whoa! Where did you find the replacement decals on that thing?

I found the OEM seatcover new in the packaging from the guys over at Seadoosource.

I spent about 8 months working with a graphics guy to get the decals done. The color match isn't perfect and they had to be trimmed in a couple of areas, but unless you really know what you're looking for its hard to notice.

Wow it looks great. Does he have the file still so he can make them again?

Yeah more sets can be had! :) I am working now to get the color a closer match and hopefully the fit. If anybody is interested in a set shoot me a PM. Now that I have the showroom mint 95 XP800 I just purchased I can match the color perfectly. Originally I was having to rely on the pink hull to match color. @ issues there are that 1. that color was different from the decals even from the factory 2. even though i was able to wet sand the color back, it still does not have the same hue as when it was new.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow that is awesome, I wish someone would do that with the 99 spx or 96 XP graphics cuz they are soo hard to find, basically non existent

Yeah more sets can be had! :) I am working now to get the color a closer match and hopefully the fit. If anybody is interested in a set shoot me a PM. Now that I have the showroom mint 95 XP800 I just purchased I can match the color perfectly. Originally I was having to rely on the pink hull to match color. @ issues there are that 1. that color was different from the decals even from the factory 2. even though i was able to wet sand the color back, it still does not have the same hue as when it was new.
Dammit! You should have told me. For anything close to the price you paid I would have put them on my 96. lol

Dammit! You should have told me. For anything close to the price you paid I would have put them on my 96. lol

Yeah we talked about it but they woulda looked funky without having the rear pink section. They blend into that and the top section. Your graphics look awesome, best non stock scheme I have seen for a 96.

I remember when you did this. RacerXXX's "clapped out" thread really set a new standard over here. Since then there has been a lot of good ones with Jetskigoodies leading the pack. I love the threads and have learned a ton. But when all you boys are tired of polishing your boats lets make them go real fast!

I remember when you did this. RacerXXX's "clapped out" thread really set a new standard over here. Since then there has been a lot of good ones with Jetskigoodies leading the pack. I love the threads and have learned a ton. But when all you boys are tired of polishing your boats lets make them go real fast!

I'm ready! What do I need to get to 63ish mph?

I'm ready! What do I need to get to 63ish mph?
Race gas...but who wants to burn that up at the rate that we do?!? So I'm currently intrigued with your "ported pump gas" theory. I'm stuck thinking that 7200 rpm with either engine will yield the same top speed. Hopefully I can pull a taller prop with the SS.

Don't mean to de-rail your resto-thread. You did a amazing job on that XP800

Race gas...but who wants to burn that up at the rate that we do?!? So I'm currently intrigued with your "ported pump gas" theory. I'm stuck thinking that 7200 rpm with either engine will yield the same top speed. Hopefully I can pull a taller prop with the SS.

Don't mean to de-rail your resto-thread. You did a amazing job on that XP800

I'd love to help test that theory if you have any ideas. Pretty sad I cant get another 3-4 mph without race gas, considering I am running 87 now at 59+ mph. This is such a 180 compared to my days working with the Yamaha GPR, where you could go from 63 to 80 mph on a ported stock motor with 93 octane.

I welcome any discussion in this thread about this stuff, as this ski will be getting some power upgrades soon, but I have lots to learn before doing so.

[MENTION=52309]MPower[/MENTION] ... What is the chance your decal connection can do the front and rear seadoo logo but with a yellow fading into black?

Yikes, I really need to take the time to reload all the pictures of this build that got smoked when photo-shack went tits up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back