!!!!** My 94 Seadoo XP bogs when you give it throttle **!!!!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

sanoj94xp

Hey guys whats up,

Went to the lake today and my 94 seadoo xp was not running good at all. When i start it up it idles fine and will troll without any throttle being used. Out of water idle i noticed was a little low same as in water. As soon as i give it throttle to get up and go she is just gutless and really bogs. It wants to go but wont. I checked my fuel battle and float and it seems fine. I cleaned my carb and fuel filter. There is no water in my gas either or engine. Checked my crank as well. I also drained all the gas out and added fresh gas. Im not sure what else would be causing this problem. If someone could help me out that would be great. Cheers

Well, just based on what you are saying, it is probably not getting enough fuel. Is this something that ran fine and performed well one day and the next day it didn't?

Also, you mentioned checking the crank, how exactly did you do that?

OldSchool cheers for the reply, I bought it from a guy and it was the first rip on the lake with it. He said he had it out on the lake the week before. I had a mechanic take a look at it and he said there was some water in gas but not in the crank. Said he drained it and the crank was good. This is my first seadoo so i'm just going by what he said. He is a boat mechanic but said he wasn't and seadoo certified tech and didnt want to take it on. All the other mechanics i called said it would be weeks before i could get in. Now i'm stuck with an anchor.

might take a few compression readings and take the cover off the pto and remove the spark plugs and try turning the pto by hand (clockwise) if it spins freely its not siezed up.

Lol YEs! Ford man sure knows about compression readings

No reason to spin the pto, we know the motor is not seized

i did a compression test and the 1st test was 138-140, test #2 was 145-155 and #3 was the pretty well the same as 2. I took the carbs out and cleaned the diaphragms with fuel and fuel filters. Everything seemed good.

Hey guys, I wonder if it could be his MPEM. I've heard of this situation a couple times before and it ended up fixing their bog problems.

What is your carb set to? Try opening up the slow speed needle 1/4 turn and see if anything changes. When I first took my gs out, it wouldn't rev up, opened up the slow speed needle a bit and it made all the difference.

Hey thanks for the inputs.....I will try adjusting the slow speed this afternoon see what happens. Also yes i do still have the grey tempo lines. Could those lines really cause that much of an issue though as i have purchased a newer condition good carb and fuel pump had the fuel lines/cell flushed, filters are good an clean. Is it possible to have blockage anywhere else? what about the turn dial for gas on/off-res,could i have build up there?..... Also i have an after market speedo tach that came on it(its hooked up) but my fuel gauge dont work an the float is not stuck maybe the fuse in baffle is blown but i couldn't test that. And to go along with that the VTR had been removed an the wiring spliced- back together with merets. Electrical seems to be ok but at the same time could this have caused me any issues some how with any of the above mentioned issues?
Thanks for the help

OldSchool cheers for the reply, I bought it from a guy and it was the first rip on the lake with it. He said he had it out on the lake the week before. I had a mechanic take a look at it and he said there was some water in gas but not in the crank. Said he drained it and the crank was good. This is my first seadoo so i'm just going by what he said. He is a boat mechanic but said he wasn't and seadoo certified tech and didnt want to take it on. All the other mechanics i called said it would be weeks before i could get in. Now i'm stuck with an anchor.

Well, there ya go. The guy always had it out the week before. My last seller did too. Except mine had a hole in the resonator (which I found) a bad battery, bad carb setups, grey tempo lines, loose exhaust manifold bolts, leaky VTS oh and I broken bolt in the helm so that the machine would only turn left under throttle.

I would start off with what everyone is talking about. Comp sounds good actually, Fuel lines, the works. You never know what you are really getting unless you bought it from a friend, but start with the basics and go from there. I was an original 94XP owner, used to race it all the time. Loved those boats back then, especially on smooth water.

From 1994, IJSBA course:

seadooxp.jpg

Good morning Sanoj94XP... I am picking my 1996 GTI Sea Doo up today. It's the second shop visit. We fixed the what we thought was the carburetor/ it needed cleaning anyways. I had the same exact problem. I took Sea Doo back to shop. They took the Sea Doo out on the water to see what I was explaining to them (your exact situation). The Sea Doo is fixed now. PROBLEM SOLVED. IT WAS A WEAR RING THAT WAS NO LONGER IN PLACE (LITERALLY) AND A BENT HOUSING UNIT AND NICKED iMPELLER. KEEP IN MIND THE SOLUTION WAS A NEW WEAR RING. I DECIDED ON MY OWN TO REPLACE HOUSING UNIT AND IMPELLER WHILE IT WAS IN SHOP.

My Sea Doo would start and run strong at an idle or for quick dry start (engine never lost power). I would push throttle only to hear engine rev, rev, and rev. It wanted to grab on and take off but wouldn't. Initially it would take off and run great. After a couple of trial runs it decided to only rev, rev, and rev never moving beyond a fast idle.

I'm a newbie however I bet you have the same problem the folks at Sea Doo Forum (great peeps) diagnosed as wel as the mechanics at Extreme Sports in KY. I pick my Sea Doo up today. It was a new purchase that I have not been able to enjoy. So, I'm super excited to be on my Sea Doo this early evening. Shop says it's running like new. Good luck with your problem

Respectfully!

No, I doubt that is his problem. A wear ring issue would not cause a bog. It would rev high just lack forward propulsion

Okay I trust you know more than I do. I know how frustrating it is to buy one while not getting to use it. My Sea Doo was doing the exact thing. Okay I'm being serious not a smart a__. When you guys refer to the word "Bog", does that mean it rev's but won't move in the water beyond an idle? I'm curious and want to get familiar with my new toy. I guess you could say I feel this guys pain having bought one from someone (I wanted to trust). On a good note the inside of my Sea doo is starting to accumulate several new parts. I'm hoping i can enjoy the rest of the Summer and give my wallet a reprieve. My Sea Doo Engine runs strong. It wouldn't move after the first time beyond a fast Idle at high RPM's. Thanks for the input. I definitely am not trying to confuse matters.

Yeah, the Low Speed needle might help, but if it were mine, I would be going through the carbs/lines before I even bothered to take it back to the lake.

On that machine, the easiest way to get to the carbs off is to remove all the intake/filter assembly, then remove the 4 bolts from the rotary valve cover. 13mm heads. Start with the bolt nearest the front and the bottom, it will be the most difficult to get loose and get your fingers on. finish with the rear/top bolt while holding the assembly against the engine, once you get that off, you can remove the choke cable, the oil injection cable and easily unbolt the carbs from the intake. Then you can get them apart and clean them from there.

Make sure to get all the stuff out of the carb, get a look at what needle/seat and jets you are using for future reference in case they were changed, they probably weren't, but you will know for sure if you check.

Definitely start with getting those fuel lines out of there. They do cause a lot of issues. Get a rebuild kit an rebuild the carbs while you have it apart anyway. Also take note of the needle seat. I noticed that when I took mine apart the seat was no longer round but egg shaped. This will also cause to much fuel and drown the engine. One you do that then see where you are but if there is one thing I have learned from the guys on here is start with the basics then work from there.

check your prop shaft and impeller for weeds this has happened to me and it did what you are describing until i removed the intake grate and cleared out the weeds. it could also be gray fuel lines deteriorating from modern gas and clogging the fuel filters

Hey guys once again thanks for the input. So after checking out the fuel lines they are not the grey lines they were dirty an looked grey but after wiping them down they are clearly black. Also tried opening up the carb low idle more as suggested but didnt help.As for the carbs an rebuilding,these are a rebuilt very nice condition set of carbs i purchased to replace the ones that were on there. so i wanna rule the carbs out at this point, its the 2nd set an still same thing.Have tried all the basics i can think of or have read about online, but same thing.Not exactly sure where to go next? i was thinking about pulling out the fuel baffle pick up from the tank an checking the fuse inside to see if it is blown,an if so bypassing it.Hopefully that brings my fuel gauge back on and helps with the bogging?

Also forgot to mention that in the morning i will check the prop shaft an impeller for clogging , thanks for suggestions.

Hey guys once again thanks for the input. So after checking out the fuel lines they are not the grey lines they were dirty an looked grey but after wiping them down they are clearly black. Also tried opening up the carb low idle more as suggested but didnt help.As for the carbs an rebuilding,these are a rebuilt very nice condition set of carbs i purchased to replace the ones that were on there. so i wanna rule the carbs out at this point, its the 2nd set an still same thing.Have tried all the basics i can think of or have read about online, but same thing.Not exactly sure where to go next? i was thinking about pulling out the fuel baffle pick up from the tank an checking the fuse inside to see if it is blown,an if so bypassing it.Hopefully that brings my fuel gauge back on and helps with the bogging?

So these carbs were not the ones that came with the XP sano? Was the machine running the same exact way before changing the carbs?

You are either getting too much air or not enough fuel, or possibly a little of both. I would be interested to know what the pop-off pressure is. Have you tried pulling the choke up some when applying more throttle?

What you are describing sounds 108 percent like a fuel problem. Basic demand for fuel not met for one reason or another. I have to ask, where did you get the rebuilt carbs from and also, what was the machine doing BEFORE the carbs were changed?

Take it easy and be patient. Later.

No the current carbs are not the original but it is running the exact same way as the original ones. They came from a local shop with a good reputation an they are in excellent shape. Its deff starved for gas it wants to rev up,an once in a blue moon it does rev up 1 time when ya pull the throttle but wont hold that rev.Kinda lost as to whats starving the gas.
As for the air i have checked lines an dont find any obvious issues.

No the current carbs are not the original but it is running the exact same way as the original ones. They came from a local shop with a good reputation an they are in excellent shape. Its deff starved for gas it wants to rev up,an once in a blue moon it does rev up 1 time when ya pull the throttle but wont hold that rev.Kinda lost as to whats starving the gas.
As for the air i have checked lines an dont find any obvious issues.

Hey sano, if you goose it out of the water does it rev good? Any hesitation at all when doing that?

Dang it just sounds starved. Funny, your boat is doing exactly what my partners GTX is doing, except his ran perfect until he ingested water and it runs away out of the water. Otherwise it is the same symptoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back