My 2004 Speedster 200 Project

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Woo.. Nice.. Why do you guys suggest grey diamond cut on the hydro turf? Why grey? Thought black would be better.

Very Very Impressive!!!

You've done a wonderful job. When I finally decide to get either a speedster or a couple skis I'll contact you...LOL

Cya

Woo.. Nice.. Why do you guys suggest grey diamond cut on the hydro turf? Why grey? Thought black would be better.

I think the dark grey matches the boat colors better. If I had a boat that was black like yours, i might go with the black. The diamond is just a good looking pattern in my opinion.

Boat looks great just wondering what style of hydro turf you installed.

I went with the cut diamond, dark grey. I had the molded diamond in my 98. I would have preferred the molded diamond, but they didnt offer it for the 200.

Lookin' great. The dark gray Hydoturf is the way to go, I like the way my light gray looks, but it is more difficult to keep clean than I anticipated. I had the same question about the bow locker pieces, but am really happy they are installed. I don't notice them appearance-wise anymore, but they have come in very helpful a few times when stepping on the boat. It is nice to have a soft, good-grip section on the bow, you'll like them there.... I also had a problem with one of my nav. lights. Take a look at the wiring inside the front locker, it is really easy for crap up there to knock the wire connections loose. Mine was a simple matter of re-connecting wires where the prior owner must have knocked them loose. I'm envious of that stereo system, it rocks. Have fun whenever you are able to get it out on the water! Cheers.

Thanks for the light tip...ill look in there. Im gonna leave the front turf on for now and see if it grows on me.

Looking very nice. That's a ton of work on a boat you have yet to have out for the season yet! I'm assuming you got a water trial on it before having it shipped?

Before when I was asking about the potential of a socket for the tower speakers, are you planning on using a cover with your boat? If so, you may need to add that connector there. But it almost looks like your wires are near enough to the tower, that they might feed through a tower hole.

Either way, it's a great looking project. I like the subs in the step. That looks like a nice deep space in the hull for them.

Yeah i had it on the water in TX. so i know it floats and runs. I just need it up to my standards before i take it out....lol....I already have the Poppy cover for it. It was my first mod. I had it shipped to TX so it could be towed home with it on. It goes on around the tower. Even with the wire there, i can make it work just fine. Fits like a glove.

LOL, we should have a "most valuable tips" sticky, with this one making the list!

Double checked the owners manual, and not mentioned there! Is your daughter the only one to have discovered this ;)
All kinds of threads on all kinds of forums about people with a hatch that does not pop up on its own, and they need two people to pull and open every time. This never came up!

This was so cool. I tried this on our '02 this past week and it worked as well. What an awesome tip. I have played the pop-n-run to the back game so many times!! Thanks guys!

Boat looks great Foster! You gotta be dyin' to spend a day on the water with it! All your hours of hard work have paid off...again, looks great!

I really like the font and colors on your decals...especially the color/pattern change on the front hatch and the rear decals...those in particular look AWESOME! The OEM decals on the back didn't look bad until I saw your custom decals...very nice!

Thanks!!!! I really like the new rear decals. The old ones looked horrible in person. Eventually i am going t replace the big ones on the upper sides of the boat.

You can always drive on down to Lexington and do the same to my Speedster 200. It could use a nice audio system in it as well. The factory Clarion just doesn't cut it.

You can always drive on down to Lexington and do the same to my Speedster 200. It could use a nice audio system in it as well. The factory Clarion just doesn't cut it.

The head unit is probably fine. Clarion makes quality stuff, you just need to expand. Leave it with me for a week and bring 3 grand and you can have the same setup.

Well today i loaded up all my gear on the boat finally. Fired up the engines to make sure they run and checked all fluids. I replaced the factory light pole that was missing. I bought a universal fit one from wal mart for 15 bucks and it fits and works perfect. Im not out at night much, but now im uscg compliant. Still gotta fix the bow navigation lights though. Ill mess with them some tomorrow. Gonna hit the water tomorrow afternoon. Ill post back how it does compared to the 98.

Awesome! Just an FYI giver a decent warm up time .. Just don't punch it right off the launch. I like to let them idle in "F" for at least ten mins trust me its a really sophisticated oiling system. Have fun mang it's just like the 98 but not quite as playful you'll see still at fn' blast tho!

Finally got it out yesterday. Rain delayed us big time, so i only had it out about an hour. It floats and runs. No major issues. Definitely takes some getting used to compared to the 98. It isnt as responsive on the water. Even though its only 3 feet longer, it feels like twice the boat, which it pretty much is. Overall its about twice the weight. Docking and getting it off/on the trailer was about the same as the 98 and was fairly simple.

Overall im pretty happy with it. I wish it was the 430 HP version. Since it was raining off and on i didnt pull my phone out to check gps speed. The speedo is only showing 40ish. We all know its not correct. To me it felt slower than what I was use to on the 98....but that could just be because its so much bigger. It doesnt have quite the same fun factor as the smaller boat, but it suits my needs more now. It will be more fun to socialize and be more leisurely. The audio system sure does sound impressive.

Cool Rfoster,

I understand how you feel, I know what you are saying, I felt the same way, remember you said that the older boats fiberglass was sturdier?

Well, somehow I felt that my 95 was actually more comfortable, bigger, and faster.. but I know thats not true, because I GPSd my 95, it only hit 35.5, and I GPSd my 2011 and it "felt" slower, but actually it was hitting 44-45mph... Go figure...

Also, you would "hear" the sweet sound of the 2 stroke, which i liked, I also liked the smell of premix :)...

I think all in all after you take it out a couple of more times you will come to terms that your 2004 is was better than the 98 overall. Fuel consumption should be way better.

Congrats, lets see some pictures!

The boat is looking fantastic. I have the same boat in Blue. Looking great! I did alot of the same things starting out. Re-wired. Added amps. Second Battery. Battery Switch. Replaced the little crappy black no-guage insert with a volt meter so that i can view the voltage on each battery.

I like reading what you have worked on and laugh at a few of the same things that i had to go through. I wish i had seen this earlier and i could have easily helped with the rear storage/engine compartment release mechanism. I had the saaaaaame issue :)

I replaced my speakers and did a little extra cutting and got 7" alpine speakers. I like the idea of what you did with the subs. I just had some concern with not having a sealed enclosure behind it, but it seems like the boat itself acts as a huge box as those 7" impressed me with the range of sound it produced.

Let me know if I can help in any way. Manuals and things like that can be tough to come by ;)

Replaced the little crappy black no-guage insert with a volt meter so that i can view the voltage on each battery.

That is one of my next projects. What gauge did you go with? Im trying to find something to at least kinda match the factory stuff. Is there a plug in that extra hole on the dash that just pops out or did you have to cut the hole?

It was a direct pop in. Simple.

Recommendation is to use a rocker momentary on-off-on switch. That way you can look at the status and voltage running to each at any given time. Unless you just want to see voltage all the time. I installed my second battery under the console of the left side with one amp. It was a pain to get there but glad it was out of the way. So one switch I can look at it if it is not charged before removing everything to check it.

Also, with the sound system and enjoying hanging around a lot, I installed an on board battery tender from bass pro. It is a 2 bank charger that is wired in and is installed under the back left seat. I turn battery switch off and plug it in and leave it. This way it is always fully charged and maintained, especially in the winter.

Something I learned the hard way....the tower is not really easy to take down or fold. I tried this to get it into the garage and it was a PITA. Too heavy with my speakers attached for one person. Ended up having to make a stand also so that the mounts don't scratch the sides where the little step is (above your subwoofers). Get a buddy to help the first time you attempt.

Another great install was the wired remote with display on the drivers side. Allowed me to control iPod and leave it in the glove box while driving. If you hangout a bunch, install one on back close to swim platform for easy in-water-access.

My 2cents!

It was a direct pop in. Simple.

Recommendation is to use a rocker momentary on-off-on switch. That way you can look at the status and voltage running to each at any given time. Unless you just want to see voltage all the time. I installed my second battery under the console of the left side with one amp. It was a pain to get there but glad it was out of the way. So one switch I can look at it if it is not charged before removing everything to check it.

Also, with the sound system and enjoying hanging around a lot, I installed an on board battery tender from bass pro. It is a 2 bank charger that is wired in and is installed under the back left seat. I turn battery switch off and plug it in and leave it. This way it is always fully charged and maintained, especially in the winter.

Something I learned the hard way....the tower is not really easy to take down or fold. I tried this to get it into the garage and it was a PITA. Too heavy with my speakers attached for one person. Ended up having to make a stand also so that the mounts don't scratch the sides where the little step is (above your subwoofers). Get a buddy to help the first time you attempt.

Another great install was the wired remote with display on the drivers side. Allowed me to control iPod and leave it in the glove box while driving. If you hangout a bunch, install one on back close to swim platform for easy in-water-access.

My 2cents!

What did you use for the voltmeter? Curious how it looks. I plan on just tapping it into a positive wire in the console, that way i can always see the voltage of whichever battery is on. So far i havent had to lower the tower. The storage place i keep the boat has a 15 foot door. Im hoping to not have to lower it any. I also already have the wired remote and cable...i originally planned on putting it on the swim platform like i did on the 98, but the way the rear storage area and engine compartment is made, i dont see a place to put it where i can run the wire straight through....i may just put it up by the driver seat and buy one of the floating RF remotes to use when im in the water.

I am pretty sure the gauge was made by AutoMeter. Pretty common company. I will send a picture when I get back from vacation. The tapping in the positive under the dash is a good idea. Just grab one that is on all the time when main switch is on like the radio or lights....sounds like you know this already (but others reading may not).

That is an awesome garage to keep it in. I wish I had one that size so I didnt have to lower it.

If you ever wanted to get under the console where the radio is, open the glove box and remove the screws that hold it together (Phillips) and then remove the front left side cup holder and reach in with a -I think- 10mm long-socket wrench and unbolt. The nut comes off so don't drop it. The nut and bolt is located out of site but it is approximately 3-4" behind where the point of the console meets the hull. It was a little difficult to reach with my forearms and size of cup holder. But once you remove this, there is TONS of wasted room. Hence a battery and amp installed there for me.

Forgot to mention, the voltmeter is most accurate when directly wired to battery. Most have a positive, negative, and voltage (may be a blue wire if you have leads). This way you can run the positive to a switched source (with the key or something) and read the voltage from another source. I recommend backlit also for those night time cruises.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back