Mercury Sport Jet Stator Damaged centre bolt - What the???

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattcoll

I recently had my Sportjet serviced (first time since owned the boat), and the mechanic removed the rear centre plug/bolt in the stator housing...

It is now leaking gearbox fluid - albeit only slightly...

First question - my understanding is that this rear centre plug/bolt need not be removed?? Only the fill plug above it.

Second question - what are my chances of repairing this - or plugging this??

Reason - the stator assemblies are around US$800 to replace!!!

Thanks in advance for any assistance

If the mechanic damaged it, he should fix it.

As far as giving advice n how to fix it... I would need to know exactly what is damaged.

If it's leaking even slightly, it means that you are also getting water into the gear box, which is more of a problem than leaking fluid. So yes it definitely needs to be fixed. Dr Honda knows more about Merc. powered boats than anyone on the forum, so you're in good hands.

Lou

Regarding water in the unit - Yes, i've checked the oil, and it's still full, with no discoloration, so i'm watching this.

As for the the "damage", it is simply that the centre bolt is leaking, only slightly. Until "I" remove it and inspect i wont be sure, but since a new stator housing is expensive, and several weeks away if needed (i'm in Oz), i'm wanting to glean what i can from others before embarking on what is probably an exercise which will more than likely render the unit unusable.

Is the centre bolt simply a plug, or what is it's purpose? I cannot tell from the various manuals and diagrams?? If i remove it and the thread is damaged, i can more than likely repair the thread and insert a different sized bolt, but if the bolt has another purpose this will of course not be possible.

Since the leak is minor, i was hoping to extend it's lifespan by checking the oil level/contamination regularly, and then performing the repair at the end of the season - not ideal i know - but...

The mechanics suggestion is to replace it - which is obvious - although not that helpful.

Thanks for the replies.

Yes.. the center bolt is just a plug. I would remove it... clean it... put some thread sealer on it, and put it back in.

Thank you for confirming - will get into it, and report back the outcome..... Let's hope it's a "straightforward" exercise... :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back