Merc 250 Optimax

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big_Port

Purchased a one owner, 2002 Challenger 2000 with the 250 Optimax. I'm finding very little info here and elsewhere about this motor. For instance, the Oil Injection by pass is something I'm interested in researching a bit more IF this engine suffers the same issues at the 240?

Otherwise, I have a month or two before putting it in the water here in Michigan for anything other than a test drive. What should I put on the list to perform maintenance before summer? I'm planning new plugs....any fluid changes? Specific trouble areas that I should look at??

You CAN NOT remove the oil system on that engine. The Optimax engines are direct injection, so the fuel only goes to the tops of the combustion chamber. SO... if you "Mixed" your oil... the lower half of the engine would never see any.

With that said... I haven't ever heard of a report of the oil system failing on the Opti's.

Just as an FYI... the 250 Opti Sportjet is basically the same engine as the Opti outboard. So, the info on the web is applicable.

For the second half of your question.....

Since the boat is new to you... I would service the jet pump. There is a sticky on this section with a PDF I posted. But, at the minimum... I would drain the gear case oil, and make sure it's clean. The High Performance oil is a little pricey, (about $12 /qt) but it's way cheaper than a blown gear box. Do not use regular lower gear case oil (like from an outboard) It can't take the power/RPM's of the sport jet.

I would also change the spark plugs... but go out at least once, to burn out any fogging oil, and old fuel first.

Other than that... it's normal boat junk. (keep things dry, and clean when it gets put away, and things won't corrode)

Post some pics... and welcome.

Ha! So glad I asked about the by pass! That's great news. He did say that they changed the gearbox oil when it was winterized at the dealership...but like you said, probably best to drain a little bit and check to be sure.

I've seen the debates here on oil....I've read the manual....but again...not much specific on here about the 250 optimax....manual says Optimax Oil or Premium plus 2-cycle TC-W3.....I've see everyone talking about using the less expensive TC-W3 oils in the 240's...but as you mentioned...the 250 Opti is a totally different animal....so, am I stuck with the high dollar oil or do I get to save a bit too on the less expensive stuff?

Some piic of my "new" baby...

And....here are a few pics....The one from the front I took on the ride home...the others were from the posting. Bought it from the original owner, they took great care of it, covered when not being used...was shocked at the condition it was in....I looked at a handfull and this was by far the best condition I had seen.

IMG_0841.jpg20160414_175650.jpgScreenshot_SmartSelect_2016-04-12-12-22-40.jpg

The oil debates on this forum are normally for the Rotax guys. Those engines need an API-TC oil. And most of the time... it needs to be synthetic. The Mercury engines can safely run a TC-w3 oil. I've personally been using Pennzoil XLF. It's inexpensive, and is actually recommended by Merc engine builders, and racers. AND... my local Walmart caries it... so it's convenient.

The XLF is labeled as a high mile, or "Older" engine oil... but it's a great synth mix. And, it's not too smoky.

The Opti engines recommend using a DFI type oil, but I think it's just so you don't use a thick "Pre-mix" only oil. As far as I know... the XLF oil will be fine in that engine, since it's ok with injection. (But I will double check for you)

The reason you don't see too much talk about the 250 engine is... it just wasn't used that much in the Seadoo boats. It was a new engine for 2003, and seadoo stopped using Mercury in 2005. And then... it was only available as an upgrade option in a couple of the boats. (yours, Utopia 200, Islandia) And... it was my understanding that is was an extra $1500, and it was only a 10 hp upgrade. But... since the 200 Opti was used for a while... we have experience with that one... and it's basically the same electronics.

Very nice boat !! I bought my Islandia way up in Traverse City, and drug it back to Pitt. It was a project boat with a bad engine.

Would love to see the engine compartment if you get time, I did an engine swap in my 2002 Challenger, also the engine cover too if you don't mind. That boat looks sweet and it's clean

Very nice boat !! I bought my Islandia way up in Traverse City, and drug it back to Pitt. It was a project boat with a bad engine.

Thank you Doc! I was pretty pleased when I picked it up....as I said, I looked at a few in that age range and this was by far the nicest! Love the Traverse City area....spend a few weekends over the summer up there.

Would love to see the engine compartment if you get time, I did an engine swap in my 2002 Challenger, also the engine cover too if you don't mind. That boat looks sweet and it's clean

Thanks Quick! Here are some engine pics that I had from the classified add....I can snap pics of whatever you like if you need to see anything in more detail.

And, the other pic is of it's maiden voyage....made it out to Lake Michigan Sunday...was a perfect day, never seen the big lake so calm! Water was freezing cold but didn't stop the kids from swimming....crazy!

Attachments

• IMG_0841.jpg
    IMG_0841.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0843.jpg
    IMG_0843.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 20160417_124033.jpg
    20160417_124033.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
Hey Quick! Sorry I'm so slow...was a busy couple days. Here are a couple pics of the cover....

Attachments

• 20160422_173044.jpg
    20160422_173044.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
  • 20160422_173048.jpg
    20160422_173048.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
Big port, thanks for pics! Did you happen to see my cover in the link? I had to cut the stock cover for it to fit.

Big port, thanks for pics! Did you happen to see my cover in the link? I had to cut the stock cover for it to fit.

Damn! Was that the 18 foot Challenger? Looks like you had to shoe horn that 250 in there! The fiberglass work is impressive!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back