Love the forum, second guessing the boat...

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

cstrainsgun

Just bought a 2003 Utopia 205. Loved the looks of the boat over the Yamaha I was going to get which my friend ended up buying. Was getting informed that the Mercury 240hp M2 Jet drive was way better than the two motors than came in the Yamaha 220. Both were of comperable price. So far after reading the extensive lists of threads (which are very useful) it sounds like I got the Sea Doo with the worst motor in it!:ack: Everything I have been reading talks about how much more efficient the rotax motors are and how much more power they produce (which the dealer told me this one was the big motor!, yah right:stupid:). I can say I do look better on the water than the Yamaha but it is a tad quicker than mine. Sea Doo seems to be able to turn a little better. Figured this would be the best place to get a honest answer if the motor I got is a slug waiting to break down or a descent investment. Motor was put on a diag. and has 52 hours. (few were mine). Have the entire service manual for the motor. Rebuilt mustangs for 3 years now (blowers, turbos, Kenne Bell's) and was looking through it thinking this does not seem much more difficult. Any other shade tree's out there working on there motors themselves? Any insider tips? All the help would be appreciated. This really is the most helpful forum I have seen. Wish they would have one of these for Mustangs! Family loves the boat as do I just hoping I didnt choose the wrong one and my friend will be rubbing it in my face in a month or so....:rant:

CS,

Dont have yourself buyers remorse. You got a great boat and there is nothing wrong with the 240efi Merc. Ask any Mercury mechanic and they'll tell you thats a kick butt engine. Sure its not a current 4-stroke Rotax but so what? In 2003 that was the cats a$$.

Enjoy your boat and welcome to the fun!

Craig

:agree:

Like Craig says, don't worry about buying a boat with the wrong motor. The Mercury has been around (and still is) for a long time. It is still a good engine, and can give you years of service. Like most things its all about how they are taken care of.

To start, make sure you get a factory Mercury manual and follow all the recommended maintenance procedures. Other than that, if you are comfortable working on a modern fuel-injected car, you should be OK working on the Merc.

As for your other post under XPL exhaust, I would find another dealer. If they can't get you the right fuel filter, and are recommending different plugs I'm not so sure about them. Also don't run additives in your fuel all the time, remember that with a two-stroke anything you add to the tank is also lubricating all the moving parts in the engine. Harsh chemicals can be very bad for a two-stroke. With the 93 octane fuel, although it won't hurt anything in the short term, it will put a serious dent in your wallet, and you may go through plugs at a higher than normal rate. It would be worth your while to pick up some sort of fuel caddy.

Aaron:cheers:

thanks guys

This is the kind of cool forum where hopefully everyone will be able to help someone else at some point in time with experiences they had. I may have been a little hasty with the title of this thread, I realy do like the boat, it just seems there are so many out there dogging the Merc motors. I did get the entire 1000 page :ack: service manual that shows you how to completely strip down the motor to just the block but there were a few things I have not been able to get the "here it is" answer for. The manual states that for the 100 hour overhaul I need to grease all my points with a grease gun yet does not have a single diagram showing where these points are? Can I use trusty ol' automotive grease on these? Would anyone know where to get pic of these points? All of you have been a big help already in just the week I have been on the forum so thanks to all for that. If anyone has any questions related to stereo installation or electronics I do have some knowledge in that field that may be of some use. Installed Marine, automotive stereos for roughly 10 years for a job and now really just as a hobby but can assist with wiring and different power plants. Thanks again for the support.:cheers:

The grease comment must be some sort of general statement in the manual, as there are no actual grease points on your boat. More importantly change the pump housing oil, the stator oil, and the filters once a season or 100 hours, which ever comes first, typically at storage time. Also change the plugs after the first full tank of fuel in the spring once the old fuel is gone.

Aaron:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back