lost key

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Navy Bob

Posted this on meet and greet forum, but thought I'd try here as well:
I have a 2001 Utopia 185 with the 200 hp Merc Optimax engine. I've lost my key and lanyard. I don't believe it was a DESS key, just plain metal key with lanyard attached. Called dealer and key doesn't seem to be available, although lanyard is @$35. How can I get another key?

The lanyard is generic. If the last owner hasn't changed anything... then you can jet a Jet Logic for about $15~$20.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JET-LOGIC-P...-TETHER-UL2-/231289986627?hash=item35d9f51e43

But, since it may have been changed... please post a picture of your lanyard post.

The Key switch is Mercury... and it's VERY generic. If you know what your key number was (Like D2, A4... so on) then you can just buy it at your local Merc dealer. If you don't know what it was... then it may be printed on the switch somewhere... but I've never looked.

Regardless... the Seadoo dealer won't have it, since the breakup was a little ugly. Basically, after 2006... the Seadoo dealers stoped playing with the Merc boats.

Thanks. From the picture in the Utopia operator's guide, the key looked very generic. I only saw the key briefly last summer, after buying the boat from a neighbor and doing some minor restoration work, but as I recall, it was a simple, small metal key - nothing programmable. I'll post a pic of the ignition switch and lanyard post tomorrow - and start talking to Merc dealers around here. I don't know what the key number was, but I'll drive the boat to any Merc dealer that has them and see what fits.

Here are pix of the markings on the cylinder rim and lanyard post. On bottom edge markings appear to be 041 and 2A or 24. Can't tell if last digit is A or 4. On top edge, there's an X. Do any of these indicate the type of key I need? Thanks.

Attachments

• Cylinder_bottom_edge_958.jpg
    Cylinder_bottom_edge_958.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
  • Cylinder_bottom_edge_960.jpg
    Cylinder_bottom_edge_960.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
  • Cylinder_top_edge_954.jpg
    Cylinder_top_edge_954.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 24
  • Lanyard-Post+Cylinder_950.jpg
    Lanyard-Post+Cylinder_950.jpg
    523.2 KB · Views: 28
Well.... for some reason the pictures aren't enlarging. (web site messes up sometimes)

But, "2A" is a legit key code... and "2" Is normally the series for our boats. If you have a dealer close... you can get a key from them. Some dealers have keys on rings... and you can try them yourself.

The post looks like mine... so the jet logic lanyard should work for you.

FYI... I think the full retail on the key is about $4. Most dealers sell them for a little less.

Well.... for some reason the pictures aren't enlarging. (web site messes up sometimes)

But, "2A" is a legit key code... and "2" Is normally the series for our boats. If you have a dealer close... you can get a key from them. Some dealers have keys on rings... and you can try them yourself.

The post looks like mine... so the jet logic lanyard should work for you.

FYI... I think the full retail on the key is about $4. Most dealers sell them for a little less.
You're a lifesaver, Doc. People have been telling me I'd have to get the ECM reprogrammed. I was envisioning many hundreds of dollars, and who knows how long. $4 plus lanyard is incredible. Did you right click on the pix and "open in new tab?" That may make the enlargements visible. Thanks for the help. I'll start calling dealers tomorrow.

You're a lifesaver, Doc. People have been telling me I'd have to get the ECM reprogrammed. I was envisioning many hundreds of dollars, and who knows how long. $4 plus lanyard is incredible. Did you right click on the pix and "open in new tab?" That may make the enlargements visible. Thanks for the help. I'll start calling dealers tomorrow.

That's on the "Rotax" seadoo boats, and PWC. It's the DESS system. the Pre '95 and the Mercury boats just used normal kill switches.

Thanks to Doc Honda, now have a new key in amazingly fast time. Also want to thank local southern Maryland dealers who helped me out: Tim DiGennaro, a retired Mercury mechanic - http://timsclassicoutboards.homestead.com/ and Reliable Marine in Solomons - http://www.reliablemarineonline.com/. Tim confirmed that my key number was 2A and rooted through his collection looking for one. He didn't have it, but told me I could probably get one at Reliable Marine. It's only 20 minutes from my office, and I was able to go there during lunch hour. They had a whole ring of Merc ignition keys, including the 2A I needed, and sold it to me for a grand total of $1.06. Meanwhile, I ordered the lanyard through Amazon Prime, so should have it tomorrow. A miraculous resolution of what I originally feared would be a complicated, expensive issue. Couldn't have done it without the Sea-Doo forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back