Mercury Optimax 200 Oil Pump issue? how do I test ?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

SKutopia

Hi -
2001 Seadoo Utopia 185 with DFi Optimax 200 HP

I'm wondering if my oil pump is working correctly , since I do not see oil spurting from the oil pump when I remove one of the (7) hoses .

Please see both videos .

video #1

video #2

Is this ok (will my motor seize ) ?
Am I testing correctly ?

thanks

you could use a scan tool to set the oil pump prime sequence and make sure its working or use the throttle lever with key on and put it in break in mode which will tell it to prime

Thanks. I got the ECM repaired last week, they said they fixed the issue ... recieved back & hooked it back up ....but the oil pump still does not work properly. The oil pump prime sequence also did not work. ( 5 fwd / neutral in < 10 seconds) .

The boat runs ... ( I only have it on for 20 seconds- worried about lack of oil . ) , so I assume the main relay and fuses are okay.

To doublecheck, I re-"bench tested" the oil pump & it works fine ( by removing the lead to the oil pump and applying short bursts of direct 12v power) .

I have sent the ECM back today for re-repair.

Anything else I should look at ?

You could premix a can of fuel and run the engine off the can... this would let you get on the water and get the engine some run time to better evaluate if the oil pump is in fact working.

Good idea ! or at least test with garden hose in backyard for longer stretches of time

Hose testing is only good for 2-3 minutes. Still can overheat.

Best to run premix from a 6 gal. tank. Don't forget- leave room in built-in tank for injector system fuel to return to tank.

Carefully mark the level in the header oil tank. You may need to disconnect the main oil tank so it does not keep filling the header tank. while running on the premix, you should be able to tell if your oil pump is pumping (drawing oil from header tank).

Last edited:
Thanks. I got the ECM repaired last week, they said they fixed the issue ... recieved back & hooked it back up ....but the oil pump still does not work properly. The oil pump prime sequence also did not work. ( 5 fwd / neutral in < 10 seconds) .

The boat runs ... ( I only have it on for 20 seconds- worried about lack of oil . ) , so I assume the main relay and fuses are okay.

To doublecheck, I re-"bench tested" the oil pump & it works fine ( by removing the lead to the oil pump and applying short bursts of direct 12v power) .

I have sent the ECM back today for re-repair.

Anything else I should look at ?
you did make sure to do that key on correct?

Received ECM back again , ( they repaired ECM and showed test results and oil pump bench test on/off )
here:

HOWEVER, the oil pump still will not operate ! I see no oil going thru a clear tube ( which I inserted afterwards ) .I have checked every sensor, every ground wire and wiring diagraphms but cannot fix the lack of oil issue. Repair place suggested a Merc DDT , but no repair shop in my area wants to diagnose . Don't want to spend $1400 on a new ECM , which may or may not fix the issue.

I'm desperate . any ideas ?

update from last year..... any help is appreciated...... I swapped out the ECM , but there still is no oil pumping through while running normal . I've tested the oil pump. and it works fine. I tested all relevant wires and harness/ pins . I now have a Diacom Rinda scantool for 7 days rental (until June 19 ) and was able to test the oil pump and it worked fine.... spurts of oil seen thru a (clear) tube . The Rinda tool showed only some "trouble codes" , but i don't think they a related . any ideas ?

Attachments

• IMG_6043.jpg
    IMG_6043.jpg
    302.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6044.jpg
    IMG_6044.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 6
update from last year..... any help is appreciated...... I swapped out the ECM , but there still is no oil pumping through while running normal . I've tested the oil pump. and it works fine. I tested all relevant wires and harness/ pins . I now have a Diacom Rinda scantool for 7 days rental (until June 19 ) and was able to test the oil pump and it worked fine.... spurts of oil seen thru a (clear) tube . The Rinda tool showed only some "trouble codes" , but i don't think they a related . any ideas ?

Not real familar with O'max, but- the system is VARIABLE rate oiling. Very very little oil at idle. Can you run premix, and block off the oil hose from the big tank to header tank. Run the boat for a couple of hours. Does the level in the header tank drop? Yes? Your pump is working.

I knew the oil was variable, but your point is very interesting ! :_) ,. I assumed I could actually see the oil thru my homemade clear tube flowing, but maybe the the increments are VERY little at idle , almost imperceptible, so the only way is to see progress only after a longer period of time :) I will try it !

....and the oil pump is a simple mechanical device which spurts the *same* amount of oil each interval.. therefore on idle, for example, the single spurt of oil is every 5 minutes, but at WOT , the single spurt of oil would be more frequent ( every 30 seconds).. all timed by the ECU .......is that right ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back