Looking to buy 2019 Wake 155, only 45 hours but no oil change. Too risky?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

BCos

Hello, I'm seriously considering buying a 2019 Wake 155, 4 seasons, only 45 hours in fresh water only, never left in the water, always in heated garage. But the owner has never changed the oil. How concerned should I be? Anything specific I should look for when assessing state of the motor?

Thanks!

Motor oil shelf life still in the bottle is 5 years. In a marine environment in the motor once a year oil change is recommended. I would be more concerned if he properly stored it and how long has it been since it was last started. Check the oil on the dipstick and if it looks and feels like oil it's probably okay to start it, warm it up and change the oil. Best motor test after it starts and runs good is to test it in the water to make sure you get top speed and top RPM. I would not attempt the last part until after you have changed the oil and spark plugs. Best way to handle this would be to take it to a dealer and have them do a preseason preparation which includes a test ride and have the seller pay for it.

Oil degrades with usage from things like fuel and other contaminants and the loss of the ability for the additives to counter act.

I am going to guess the oil is not that bad but it is exactly that, a guess.

If the machine starts and runs and the levels like coolant are good, I would take it home, change the oil and plugs and ride on.

Thank you both for your comments. I appreciate it. Was able to get an appointment at a dealer (after almost begging !) in a few days, so will go that route.

Back