Quick Input Appreciated!!....Newbie with Purchase Questions

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

TooTall

Hello everyone

I have been reading the forums and have a few questions about a potential purchase

The boat in question is a 2004 Seadoo Sportster 4tec 155

The boat is for sale by an Older gentleman who moved from Florida to the mountains.

He says he bought it brand new

It’s a mix of fresh/saltwater usage. According to him it’s always been Garage or storage kept,hours unknown. Upholstery is in great shape no rips or tears,and has a Bimini top. New gas gauge,speedometer works,but the tachometer does not. I can send the tach off for rebuild from what I’ve read.

No major damages from what photos I’ve seen,but he says it could use a good wash/wax/buff to really “pop”

It comes with the trailer also of course which has new tires and working lights and new bunks.

In the past week he told me that he has changed the oil/Filter,spark plugs and put in a new Battery

He also claims to have installed a new impeller,wear ring/impeller housing with only a few trips on them. Maybe 10 hours at most he says.

He has photos from last week when had it out and about on the lake after doing the above tune up maintenance.

I am considering taking a look at the boat,however when I asked about a water test he declined stating that he doesn’t want to be hassled by all of that

He says we can start it in the yard and on the hose. He says the motors fine and he would not have me travel to look at a piece of junk.

His asking price is $4,500 which is less expensive than what I’ve seen in my area.

What is the forums consensus on this situation? My wife is especially concerned about not water testing,which i can agree with. However the fun side of me says if he takes even less for it and it just needs a little TLC it could be a huge score?!

I figured start it up and see how it sounds and give it a little throttle?

Thanks for the input!

The owner said absolutely no water tests

That Its just one of those times I would have to take a leap of fait, and trust his word on everything. He repeated that he didn’t need the money and had no problem keeping it.

My response was something along the lines of “You test drive a car,why should a boat be different. You will make your money after a half hour,so if you have nothing to hide why not take me out on it”

Then crickets

I’ll forget it

Typically the owner will ask for a deposit before you test drive, but I've never had a seller refuse a test ride. It's kinda what sells the boat, unless there are issues of course.

If you really like the boat, ask if he'll allow you to have it surveyed. A survey usually involves a test ride. Not sure if a surveyor would even bother with a boat that small, but it would be interesting to see if he'll allow for a professional inspection.

If he refuses, then run. He's hiding something.

Based on his attitude,I’m not dealing with him anymore

I told him he could take it out himself with me just as an observer if he was concerned about me breaking anything. Whatever makes him most comfortable.

Apparently,I have to believe him and do things his way or I don’t get it. He doesn’t want it leaving his yard,not even if he’s the one towing it and operating it.

If he won’t take it out himself,or let me either...then I don’t think he’ll let an inspector

I’m done. Just plain old done. I’ll move on to something else,with someone who’s attitude is better. Its not such a need or desire that I let myself get scammed or pushed around. I can wait years if needed. I’ll just keep saving up.

Thanks for the support everyone!

Yeah, its tough when the owner absolutely refuses a water test. I understand that it can be a hassle if he doesn't have a lakehouse or slip, but a hard line refusal sounds like he's hiding something. Most legit sellers are willing to meet you at the lake for a quick run.

true story regarding my 2005 sportster 155 4-tec (same boat) that I just bought a month ago from a guy who also said the boat was in great shape with no issues.... I had to meet him in a local parking lot, boat was unregistered. it looked clean and we were both former Marines with vet plates- so I had some trust in him. he said he just replaced the solas impeller & wear ring and babied the boat- he gave it a quick start and let it idle for a few seconds to show me it worked. I paid him the $5700 and drove away without doing a close inspection. I got home, launched the boat- it was very hard to shift between forward & reverse positions (needs shifter cable) and it wouldn't get over maybe 25 mph and hard to plane- couldn't tell the speed because the speedo & tach, didn't work... yep. pulled the boat out and inspected the pump & impeller- the impeller was trashed, all banged up. the wear ring was destroyed. the pump housing & stator vanes were trashed (I posted pics in another thread) the drive shaft & carbon ring were destroyed. I spent another $1300 replacing all the parts myself. got it back in the water- now it drove nice but noticed it was taking on about 2 gallons of water every 24 hours sitting at the dock. no worries... I continued to use it for the week it so the kids could have a little tubing fun- I shut the boat off to pull the rope & tube in when the kids were done- it wouldn't start back up! get towed 3 miles back to my dock and pulled it out again- spent another $400 on a starter, solenoid & neutral safety switch- still waiting to put that in this weekend- AND HOPING TO GOD it's not a defective MPEM. while the boat was out on the trailer I crawled underneath it and gave the hull a close inspection... found where the water leak was coming in- major fiberglass damage on the hull up under where the ski locker is!
lots of hack gel coat hiding more damage- this Marine (sic) AKA "Christopher Richard" of Seabrook, Nh crashed the boat (maybe sunk it- I dunno), destroyed the pump and tried to hide it all. He lied & basically stole my money. I called & text him but he just ignores me. I just ordered $400 worth of fiberglass resin, fiber mat & a gallon of marine gel coat. here are the pics of how the hull currently looks- I didn't see it because it's on the very bottom of the boat, most of it hidden by the bunk cross brace. you can even see some sloppy gel coat drips on the cross brace carpet! I've owned maybe 15 boats in the last 30 years- I've always given them a good inspection- this time I didn't. It's my fault I'm in the situation I'm in- but this guy is a flipping thief. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS WATER TEST & INSPECT THE BOAT!!!!

Attachments

• gear (1)_renamed_672.jpg
    gear (1)_renamed_672.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 27
  • gear (2)_renamed_11606.jpg
    gear (2)_renamed_11606.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 28
  • gear (3).jpg
    gear (3).jpg
    69 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Rule of thumb - never trust anyone when it comes to business. Unfortunate for those honest people out there selling but there are too many dishonest con -artists out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back