2008 RXP 255 and RXT 255 Coolant Change

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mixybro4

Hello all!
I am new to the group as I just recently purchased a 2008 RXP 255 and a 2008 RXT 255. These are low hour machines, around 60 hours each. They have been sitting for about 3 years though in a heated garage. I immediately pulled the super chargers and sent them in for rebuild, I am waiting on them to return. I swapped in new spark plugs and will also be changing the oil and filter.

I researched that the green coolant is only good for two years and this may be the original coolant, so I want to swap it out. I ordered new coolant from PWC muscle, but I realized it is the orange coolant type and the two cannot mix. I looked up the procedure for the basic coolant change and it makes sense. But if I am switching over to the orange coolant, should I run the machines in the lake with distilled water for awhile to get the green coolant out of the block? Or am I okay to just drain and fill with distilled water 4 times or so? I appreciate any and all advice and I am looking forward to being a member of the group.

Thank you,
Caleb Mix

If it were me...

I would order your standard green coolant, drain and fill and be done with it.

From my perspective as well, replacing the coolant in a Seadoo every 2 years is a waste of money. Test the coolant with a test strip and do a specific gravity test. If both are good, ride on.

If it were me...

I would order your standard green coolant, drain and fill and be done with it.

From my perspective as well, replacing the coolant in a Seadoo every 2 years is a waste of money. Test the coolant with a test strip and do a specific gravity test. If both are good, ride on.
Do you know the best place to find XPS green coolant? Most places seem to be sold out of it.

Thank you.

You don't need xps green. You need a good quality green coolant, which you should be able to find at any parts store.

Any green coolant that is meant for aluminum engines is good as long as it is a good quality brand.

I used Honda coolant in both my John Deere and Seadoo as it was IAT (green). I used it because I had a bottle for my motorcycle.

You should use a low silica coolant such as OEM Orange 1 , or the coolant from BRP. The low silica helps with wear on the ceramic seal in the water pump, both are propylene based coolants with additives that make them safe for aluminum. Flushing the system a couple times first is a good idea for sure.

Yes I would unfortunately use the expensive sea doo coolant.and flush the system.i am having problems with older skis with corrosion on the pto housings and machines loosing ground contacts

Yes I would unfortunately use the expensive sea doo coolant.and flush the system.i am having problems with older skis with corrosion on the pto housings and machines loosing ground contacts

I don't understand as the cooling system is a closed loop as it has no outside element beyond that closed loop. The only corrosion input in the loop are in the loop.

If there are outside elements affecting the closed loop, it is not a closed loop.

The corrosion you describe is based on the open environment of the engine. (Saltwater environment)

I agree that the corrosion inhibitors in the IAT coolant have less of a lifespan than OAT or HOAT coolant. As mentioned, I find it just easier and cheaper to flush "green" coolant then go through the effort to flush and upgrade the coolant.

Again, my 2 cents

Condensation gets in there look at some of the older 4 tecs the pto housings are turning g that yellowish color and if you look around where the stator wires come out the housing I see a shit ton of skis with yellow flacky crap.dont know what causes it exactly but the newer skis with the pink in it it has not done it

I am doing a coolant change on my 2011 GTI SE 130. I have XPS Green regular coolant in the machine now. The replacement coolant I received is orange XPS extended life. According to the XPS website the orange is a compatible replacement. Any thoughts on this? If you replace the coolant per the service manual you are only changing the fluid in the ride plate and not the block (behind the thermostat). You will there for have a mix of extended life orange and regular green coolant.
Thoughts?……

I am doing a coolant change on my 2011 GTI SE 130. I have XPS Green regular coolant in the machine now. The replacement coolant I received is orange XPS extended life. According to the XPS website the orange is a compatible replacement. Any thoughts on this? If you replace the coolant per the service manual you are only changing the fluid in the ride plate and not the block (behind the thermostat). You will there for have a mix of extended life orange and regular green coolant.
Thoughts?……
Hello,
I ran into this same issue at the beginning of the season. I purchased replacement XPS coolant and it is orange. You do not want to mix the two different types of coolant. You’ll either have to flush every bit of green coolant out which will be a bit of a pain. OR, you can do what I did and buy some high quality green low silicate automotive antifreeze. Then just drain and fill the system with distilled water 2-3 times and fill with antifreeze when done. Run engine in the water to operating temp and recheck coolant level. I am stuck with 9 quarts of orange antifreeze because they wouldn’t take it back lol. Good luck to you.

Hello,
I ran into this same issue at the beginning of the season. I purchased replacement XPS coolant and it is orange. You do not want to mix the two different types of coolant. You’ll either have to flush every bit of green coolant out which will be a bit of a pain. OR, you can do what I did and buy some high quality green low silicate automotive antifreeze. Then just drain and fill the system with distilled water 2-3 times and fill with antifreeze when done. Run engine in the water to operating temp and recheck coolant level. I am stuck with 9 quarts of orange antifreeze because they wouldn’t take it back lol. Good luck to you.
Thanks for the reply. XPS’ website says it’s a replacement for machines operating with the 2 year regular coolant. I am a bit suspicious though. I could run distilled water through it and change the fluid several times but that would be a pain in the butt. I also could run distilled water through it and change the fluid several times but that would be a pain and very time consuming. It also gets very cold where I live so I don’t want to risk having less than 50/50 ideal mixture. I’m thinking your advice is the safest and going to the dealer and buy the green fluid and trying to sell the orange.
The only other way I could see you doing this is opening up the thermostat to drain the block. The service manual does not say to do this and I worry about getting all the air out of the block.

Thanks for the reply. XPS’ website says it’s a replacement for machines operating with the 2 year regular coolant. I am a bit suspicious though. I could run distilled water through it and change the fluid several times but that would be a pain in the butt. I also could run distilled water through it and change the fluid several times but that would be a pain and very time consuming. It also gets very cold where I live so I don’t want to risk having less than 50/50 ideal mixture. I’m thinking your advice is the safest and going to the dealer and buy the green fluid and trying to sell the orange.
The only other way I could see you doing this is opening up the thermostat to drain the block. The service manual does not say to do this and I worry about getting all the air out of the block.
The orange is the new version of the coolant, but you must get all the green coolant out in order to use it, which means running it several times on the lake with distilled water in order to properly flush the system.

Just doing a quick drain and fill with distilled water is a relatively easy process and doesn’t take too long. Just position a bucket or two and open the drain plug and then keep pouring in water. Then switch it over to green coolant until you have a steady flow of green with no air bubbles. Any automotive green low silicate coolant will do the job. I wouldn’t mess with opening the thermostat. I live in Michigan and it is rather cold as well, no issues here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back