Looking for a new/rebuilt 717 engine for a 95 seadoo xp

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

rogerdowling

Lost compression in rear cyclinder on my 95 xp on saturday. Looking for best/cheapest option to get back on the water. My service guy suggested getting another engine from SBT and installing which would set me back $1600 if he did it (engine, shipping, and labor) which seems too expensive as the ski is not work that. Any suggestions on how i should proceed? What is the degree of difficulty if i found a rebuilt engine and installed myself. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Its not very hard if you are somewhat mechanically inclined. The SBT Premium engine is $995 + shipping and you will need to buy/rent the engine alignment tool (or see if you can use your mechanics for a small fee). You can download the service manual online if you google it. You need to figure out why it lost compression if the first place so you dont ruin your new engine. Have you replaced the grey fuel lines, cleaned and rebuilt the carbs?

Last edited by a moderator:
Its not very hard if you are somewhat mechanically inclined. The SBT Premium engine is $995 + shipping and you will need to buy/rent the engine alignment tool (or see if you can use your mechanics for a small fee). You can download the service manual online if you google it. You need to figure out why it lost compression if the first place so you dont ruin your new engine. Have you replaced the grey fuel lines, cleaned and rebuilt the carbs?

Yes, the fuel lines have been replaced and the carbs have been cleaned and rebuilt all within last 6 months. How can i determine the cause of lost compression?

A lean condition is the usual cause of low compression, so if you've replaced the fuel lines and rebuilt the carbs. you're good to go. With a 18 year old engine the most likely cause of your problem is just wear.

Really $1600.00 including the rebuilt engine, shipping (probably $100.00 each way), alignment and labor is a very fair price. This is going to be the fastest way to get back into the water.

Depending on the condition of your ski this may be more than you want to spend, another option might be a good used engine, you might want to PM 99spxxx and see what he has.

Lou

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back