Longer Ladder?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

biffdotorg

So the only real gripe my wife has with our Challenger X20 is that the ladder on the stern is short and only has 1 step.

Is this a somewhat industry standard ladder that I can pull out and swap with something I purchase off of Overtons or West Marine that may be longer?

I do realize I may have to make a new form of strap to hold it in an upright and stowed position. But a bit longer ladder may be nice to have.

Any help is appreciated. Otherwise, I may just have to try removing the OEM ladder and check it's mounting positions and dimensions for a possible alternative.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Windline is the OEM manufacturer. Goto their website and you may find a 3 step ladder that will fit in in's place. They have one that I think will fit on my 98 as a replacement for the 2 step.

For what its worth, I had a Regal boat with a very short boarding ladder. The metal was too slippery to easily pull ourselves back into the boat with a short ladder. I got a thick section of rope, about 6 feel long with a closed loop on one end, and before jumping in the lake I would loop it over the tow hook. A couple of well place knots in the rope gave people of different heights a place to hang on too where our hands would not slip while our knees were at our shins trying to use the ladder.

I think that is it. I need to check the width to be sure though.

Sorry for diggin' up the dead, but did you guys confirm that these windline 2 & 3 step ladders will fit existing mounts on earlier models? (ie. 2001 challenger)

Sorry for diggin' up the dead, but did you guys confirm that these windline 2 & 3 step ladders will fit existing mounts on earlier models? (ie. 2001 challenger)

I posted a pic somewhere of a 2 step installed. I believe it was in another ladder thread.

Thanks IRISH, I think I saw those 2 step pics and called windline to order it yesterday. Marcy @ Windline was adamant about altering it to fit mounts....so does the curved top part cause issues when deployed? My 1 step is straight at the top, so I figured I could saw off curve and drill new holes for pins.

Thanks IRISH, I think I saw those 2 step pics and called windline to order it yesterday. Marcy @ Windline was adamant about altering it to fit mounts....so does the curved top part cause issues when deployed? My 1 step is straight at the top, so I figured I could saw off curve and drill new holes for pins.

I bought mine off Ebay it was cheaper and had free shipping. I would've liked the 3 step but I think your pushing it with the retainer strap as well as area to fold up under the swim platform.

I used the same mounts. Just swap ladders and pull your keeper stud off and screw into new ladder. Reseal your bolts when you put back on to avoid leaks. Here's the pics again.

Attachments

• IMG_1108.jpg
    IMG_1108.jpg
    558.4 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_1107.jpg
    IMG_1107.jpg
    639.5 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_1106.jpg
    IMG_1106.jpg
    513.4 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_1105.jpg
    IMG_1105.jpg
    471.5 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_1104.jpg
    IMG_1104.jpg
    577.3 KB · Views: 188
Thanks for pics. Got the 2 step today but new mounting bracket holes do not line up and I cannot use existing as they are designed for straight poles--not curved. No biggie,
I'll just swap mounts or get new ones.

Thanks for pics. Got the 2 step today but new mounting bracket holes do not line up and I cannot use existing as they are designed for straight poles--not curved. No biggie,
I'll just swap mounts or get new ones.

Thats weird they would've used different ladder's/mounts on the same year boat just different models. Mine worked perfectly.

It's weird alright. I looked on the seadoo parts warehouse site and all models only show the big brackets and straight poles. The ones windline sent me look like yours, smaller and SS. The width is the problem, as they are just a hair over 2", and the holes on boat are right at 3". Front to back holes match up exactly. I'm gonna try windline and see if they have any that will fit existing holes. Are you original owner or did previous one possibly change out ladder?

It's weird alright. I looked on the seadoo parts warehouse site and all models only show the big brackets and straight poles. The ones windline sent me look like yours, smaller and SS. The width is the problem, as they are just a hair over 2", and the holes on boat are right at 3". Front to back holes match up exactly. I'm gonna try windline and see if they have any that will fit existing holes. Are you original owner or did previous one possibly change out ladder?

I'm not the original owner, but the previous owners never used the boat. Older couple. I'm positive it was original ladder. There is a couple different models of the 2 step ladder did you get the one like mine? You have a oic of your factory ladder and mounts?

I'm sure it was Windline that was used at factory based on all the others that have them as well.

You're prolly right about using the curved type on newer boats. I found an old thread on another forum that said the UP-2C is the curved model and the UP-2E is the straight arms. I spoke w/Marcy today at Windline and they do not make the UP-2E any longer unless they get an order from Seadoo. They have to build me one, which is $150. Evidently Windline never made the big bracket for the straight arm ladder, as she said that SD had another source for these. Now it's gone to the simple U-bracket w/curved ladder arms on the newer models. I'll get a pic of my bracket when I get home. I could just cut the one I have and drill new roller pin holes, but it would be about 2-3" shorter. I do like the smaller profile mounts on yours Irish, and would work if the hole spacing was right. I searched the net for the mounts like yours but no go. If anyone knows of a source let me know, and I'll tell WL to refund me for doubling the price!!

The Aquaperformance ladders look mostly like jet ski application.

You're prolly right about using the curved type on newer boats. I found an old thread on another forum that said the UP-2C is the curved model and the UP-2E is the straight arms. I spoke w/Marcy today at Windline and they do not make the UP-2E any longer unless they get an order from Seadoo. They have to build me one, which is $150. Evidently Windline never made the big bracket for the straight arm ladder, as she said that SD had another source for these. Now it's gone to the simple U-bracket w/curved ladder arms on the newer models. I'll get a pic of my bracket when I get home. I could just cut the one I have and drill new roller pin holes, but it would be about 2-3" shorter. I do like the smaller profile mounts on yours Irish, and would work if the hole spacing was right. I searched the net for the mounts like yours but no go. If anyone knows of a source let me know, and I'll tell WL to refund me for doubling the price!!

The Aquaperformance ladders look mostly like jet ski application.

Would the mounts I have on my boat work with your ladder? I have another set. I didn't use the mounts I got with my ladder.

They might if they measure 3" from hole to hole (width wise) and 1 and 1/4" from front holes to back holes. This is what mine look like for the straight arms. That would be cool if yours would work, save my ass $150. I'll pay what you want for them + shipping costs.

mount1.jpgmount.jpg

They might if they measure 3" from hole to hole (width wise) and 1 and 1/4" from front holes to back holes. This is what mine look like for the straight arms. That would be cool if yours would work, save my ass $150. I'll pay what you want for them + shipping costs.

View attachment 10199View attachment 10200

I'll measure mine when I go home from work for Thanksgiving and take pics. If they'll work just pay the shipping and you can have them. I'll never use them for anything and I was just planning on waiting til someone needed a replacement 1 step ladder and doing the same for the whole deal. Mine don't look anything like that, but if the holes line up you could use my mount with your new ladder. I'll check in a week.

Thanks Irish, good karma. Here's what I have now....as you can see, the new one that works with the curved arms is about an inch shy of wide enough. The new one is also much thicker.

Attachments

• mount2.jpg
    mount2.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 97
Thanks Irish, good karma. Here's what I have now....as you can see, the new one that works with the curved arms is about an inch shy of wide enough. The new one is also much thicker.

I got bad news for you. Your going to be filling holes and redrilling new ones. The mount you have is the one I have. Which is really weird we have same year boat and basically same model. Why would they design the boats with 2 different ladders? I'll double check, but I'm sure it's same mount.

This is where I bought mine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WINDLINE-BO...996?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5882db4064

Yeah, you're prolly right that it's the same mount. It is weird that sd would have 2 different mounts and ladders manufactured (maybe because I have the Challenger X20). No biggie though, I won't have to drill/fill since I can use the big mounts I have now with the straight arm ladder they sent me. Of course they charged me an xtra $50 for straight arm ladder, which is BS! I wanted to have the extra 4-5 inches that the curved ladders allows for. I'll just return the curved one from WL when you confirm you have small mount. Thanks for your help w/this and have a good Turkey day.

Yea I have the smaller mounts here. Sorry I wish I could've helped you with this. It must be because it's a X20

Thanks for checking. This past weekend I put the strait ladder on with existing mounts and it feels fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back