Long island N.Y. Seadoo REFUSE to service 1997 speedster

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

richiegtt

Can someone please explain to me how the Seadoo dealers on Long Island N.Y are allowed to refuse to service my 1997 Speedster.They all state that they do not service older boats.It is not because they do not have the parts or the training, because they did not even ask me what the problem with the boat was. One dealer stated that his cut off year was 2001.These morons believe that customers with new boats deserve to be serviced first,and i can not even be put on the waiting list. One guy said he would service the boat about November or December. This is unbelievable.If you had a 1997 Chevy or any other car or boat what dealer in his right mind would tell a potential customer this. Who would even buy a product if it can not be serviced after only 12 years .I have been very lucky with this boat in that i have never required dealer service since it was purchased new. .I have had it winterized and shrink wrapped yearly by a local guy. Nothing has ever malfunctioned on this fantastically crafted boat.It is a shame a product of this quality has to be represented by low life dealers in this area. All i needed was for a port side throttle cable to be replaced. Out of necessity i was able to figure out how to do the job my self .After this experience i would have second thoughts about buying another seadoo boat. Did anyone reading this ever experience what i stated above I would appreciate the feed back. Does any one know who i can make a complaint to. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Not uncommon in most industries. Its referred to as "End of Life". In my industry the cut-off is 10 years. Dont worry however. you can probably find many smaller servuce shops that will still work on it.

Craig

Craig's correct...Service life is 10 years...most technicians don't work for ever in a repair facility, and the new guy's are only trained on the new stuff. Haven't you noticed that there are fewer and fewer pars available. The 4-tec is the newest production and the 2 stroke will be obsolete soon. In a lot of places they are outlawed to ride due to pollution and noise restraints... Welcome to the new world of 4 stroke technology and the way of progress. Dealers don't sell any old models and the service is too time consuming as you found out replacing just the throttle cable...New machines don't have carburetors, everything is fuel injected, and once plugged in to the B.U.D.S.( (Bombardier Utility Diagnostic System) is quick to diagnoise a problem instead of checking lots of components. Have you looked under the hood of your New car lately...same thing. If you enjoy tinkering and doing your own repairs...keep the old machines.

Karl

Ouch, this is good to know.

I was just looking at a 2001 & 2002 Utopia. The '01 is actually carbed - this might be a good thing since I believe that it is the same engine used for outboards(?) and there might be broader support.

Also, I have seen over and over that with the older boats one of the recommendations is to make sure you have a Mercury tech in the area. I guess you have to check what their service policy is. Does you no good to live next door to a shop if they will not service your craft.

Thanks - this site is a gold mine!

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back