Long Distance Tow California -> Canada

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

trickyslip

Hello,
You may notice that I am in the process of selling my 2007 speedster 150 - but I am also trying to work out a situation where I can keep it when I relocate . That would require me to move the boat from Santa Barbara, CA area to Vancouver, Canada. It seems like a fairly simple drive up the coast, but I have not done it yet.

Can anyone give me suggestions on what I should expect, do, and avoid, to make the haul go smoothly? Am i crazy to haul it that far? (about 24 hours of driving)

I'm still on the fence about covering it while driving. I usually do not, but I dont pull the boat far to get to the lake, and its pretty traffic free around here.. I would think on a drive that long, with all the overnight stops, I would want something to protect the boat..

Are there boat friendly hotels to stay at ? (a long shot - i know :) )

Are there any services that transport boats, and are they economical enough that I should consider transporting the boat commercially, based on the distance? (1200 miles) I doubt it - but figured I would ask..

Been there done that. I drove to Anaheim, California from Calgary, Alberta to pick up my brothers first boat in the middle of winter and wouldn't hesitate to do it again. (we took the I 15)

Couple of things to consider.

Have the bearings repacked before you hit the road. Don't think....well I had them done not that long ago they should be fine, just do it.

Bring an extra set of bearings, or better yet a spare hub with the bearings packed and ready to go. You shouldn't need it but it never hurts.

Have at least one good spare.

Most importantly have tools (including a jack) to be able to change these items on the side of the road.

As for hotels, just about any of them should have room for a truck and trailer, so that shouldn't be a problem. I would definitely cover it for that length of drive. It gives you a little piece of mind in the hotel parking lot and will keep a whole lot of road grime out of the boat as well as protect the windshield from rock damage.

Plan ahead and it's a really nice drive.

Aaron:cheers:

:agree: what he said...SBT has a hub kit...hub, bearings...etc, for 25 buks, cant beat that price anywhere, and a new/good spare maybe 2 of them, other than that, each time you stop, hit the zerk fittings on yuor bearing buddies, and check tire pressures....good luck

Thanks to both of you - here is another question - maybe for another thread - I was thinking of pulling it with my Subaru, instead of my truck... My Subaru is rated to pull 2000 pounds, the challanger 150 on trailer weighs 2,156 pounds.. do you think I could get away with it, or no? (I know, no one wants to say on the record and be held accountable - but, to me --- its seems 'close enough' ? ? ) Am I crazy?

In my opinion that is way too far to attempt to tow your boat with your car. Use your truck, you will have to get it to Vancouver anyway, so why have the boat behind it?

Aaron:cheers:

Yeah - i've been talked out of it by many people :) Thing is, the car and myself, are heading north a few weeks before the wife and kids and truck - so I was just hoping to sneak a few runs in - but yeah.. I'll wait for the truck :) Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back