Left my drainage plug off!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Splammy

Hey there everyone, this is my first post although it's regrettably about an issue that I have encountered.

I recently purchased a Sea-doo Spark 3up and was using it for the second time in the sea two days ago now. However when I took it to land and went to open up the drainage plug I noticed it was missing - I obviously had neglected to tighten it properly and it had consequently fallen off during me riding it.

I went to purchase another plug, however I was wondering what detrimental affects this might have on the engine. I flushed the engine out and everything seemed to be working fine - It's brand new, it's what I would expect, Although I can't help thinking there may be an underlying problem with there being salt water all over the engine due to me leaving this plug off!

Am I being overly paranoid or is it justified? As I have heard so many stories of this being a huge problem.

I need any advice and your support would be greatly appreciated,

Kindest regards,

Sam

You are fine. While moving water won't enter the hull. In fact, while moving it will exit the hull due to a Venturi Effect. So if you didn't sink it it submerged the engine you are fine.

Wash it down well with fresh water, especially the starter area. Then spray it all with WD-40 or a specified product that displaces water. Being in Salt Water you should do this anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you so much for the reassurance. I'm 100 percent totally new to this, so I apologize if I appear stupid - but where about is the starter area and do you mean wash down the actual engine? I assume this involves removing the side panel. Thanks for your speedy reply!

I have not has a Spark in my hands as of yes, so I can't tell you exactly where the starter is. Remove the sides or seat or whatever is easy. Follow the red battery wire to the solenoid, on the other side of the solenoid the red battery wire will continue onto the starter. I am guessing you probably didn't get water that high anyways or you would have felt like the ski was sluggish due to the hundreds of pounds of extra water weight weight. Like I said, if you are moving forward even below plane but faster than an idle water will not enter the hull. As you increase speed any water in the hull will be drawn right out the plug hole. Don't feel "stupid",,, If you don't know you don't know and you can't learn if you don't ask. You will learn a TON simply by reading others posts. Common faults and things to that nature. And yes, wash down the engine with FRESH water, it will not hurt a thing. You will want to spray it with WD-40 or like I said a product designed to displace water once you are done. This is something any salt water ski should do after every run. Salt water is not your friend...

Back