keel shield installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

moochy

Hello all,
Had a wet and windy day last Saturday so decided to install my keel shield which i ordered in from the states.

keel shield.jpg

I went for the 7' long version which stops roughly three feet from the intake grate. in hindsight could have gone possibly 8" or 9" but the unknown on how that would have effected my pump I guess ill never know!

Following the instructions on the website and especially the video they had up there was really easy. Definetly a two person job with dad coming over to help out. One theing I would reccomend is either get your boat onto the stand at your marina or get yourself a car trolley to zoom around on. Its a fairly uncoumfortable job being under there for so long.

We finished it off with white sikaflex marine sealant which took away the very small black line of 3M and will hopefully keep it on there for a very long time.

Looks good.
A car Trolley....I thought you meant a cart to carry a car or a San Francisco cable car....LOL...:)

Don't know about anyone else but I refer to them as a mechanic creeper.

I just love the difference in words from Aussieland.
Just like in USA some people call Pepsi "pop" and other call it "soda"

Torch/flashlight, etc

Looks good.
A car Trolley....I thought you meant a cart to carry a car or a San Francisco cable car....LOL...:)

Don't know about anyone else but I refer to them as a mechanic creeper.

I just love the difference in words from Aussieland.
Just like in USA some people call Pepsi "pop" and other call it "soda"

Torch/flashlight, etc

haha over here we dont call soda either of those. We call it 'soft drink?'

We have a whole public transport system in melbourne that revolves around cable cars but we call them trams.

Im sure this conversation could go on all day as soon as chriso discovers it!

Looks great Moochy! Let me know if it affects the handling of your boat. The grooves could really help or hurt... or do nothing at all!

What's this pepsi you guys are refering too? Coke is the only real soda! :thumbsup: I used to call it "Pop" but when I'd say, "give me a pop", my wife.... WOULD! OUCH!

Looks good. What website did you order from? Thinking about doing this myself. I doubt if it will affect handling/performance at all.

I bought it off someone who cancelled their project. I've asked keel shield for a bit of guidance for other jet boaters. Hopefully they come back with reccomendations soon

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks great. Reading this thread got me to thinking (pretty dangerous). I wonder it this would work for a PWC. My 96GTI over the years has kinda got a little beat up, probably from beaching, on the keel area. I have made the repairs and the keel is sound, but to tell the truth I'm not much of a body man. This would cover the damage and help prevent further damage, I might give it a try.

BTW, soft drinks, pop, soda, Pepsi, here are all called Coke or CocaCola.

Lou

I plan on doing this as well. Great write up.

I have looked at Keel Guard, Keel Shield and even Keel X, which is the spray on Line-x product that some installers put on the boat without any grit for traction. It is supposed to be smooth when done. I think the Keel Shield will be the way to go.

Color and length are the only decisions from what I can tell. The company recommends 7-8ft for my 20ft SeaDoo. Or should a person just get down there and measure it? Keel Shield is very cool to work with. If you email them, they will send you free color samples so you can match it up to your hull!

Thanks again for the write up!

I'd say get down there and measure. I could have gone an extra foot if I did the measure. Use the video on the website to guide you. We stopped once to twice to review. Definetly don't do the job by yourself. Get a hand fom someone.

Get some Marie sealant too. This will finish the job off nicely as you will see a tiny strip of black 3m otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back