Just ordered a Thrust Vector for my 210 Challenger !

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

studiocat13

So I just ordered a Thrust Vector for my 210 Challenger and wanted to see if anyone else has one on their boat ? Looks like it could certainly help when docking and pulling into a slip.

I have them, they do help with slow speed tracking. I got them to help the wife docking / loading. Just watch that the gate doesn't contact cross bar when in reverse, or the top strap when in forward.

I’ve install the cobra!
I agree will help in low speed but Will be hard on the nozzle and steering at high speed
Even with a bad crafstmanship of the product (not well made) i have to do several adjustment to fit... it will help with the steering for sure.BD08DF04-EDB8-4548-863C-1D42061AB46D.jpeg0678F0E5-3955-4049-B75D-DE7D215AD617.jpeg

Wow, So did you contact Jeff at Cobra Fins? He's active on the JetBoaters forum and comments often about not using ThrustVectors on the Rotax boats. I haven't had any issues with mine.

I have them, they do help with slow speed tracking. I got them to help the wife docking / loading. Just watch that the gate doesn't contact cross bar when in reverse, or the top strap when in forward.
Thanks Kernal, Looks like the latest version has a rubber bumper to protect against that so hopefully that will help. Did you see any difference when steering up to full speed or making sharp turns at speed ? Also, what advantage would the Cobra Jet have over the Thrust Vector since it is designed to pull up at higher speeds and the Cobra is fixed ?

Wow, the welds on the cobra's are poor at best! I can't believe a company would let something like that go out!

Do you experience locking issues where you can't get out of forward or reverse at low speeds around the dock?

I have not had any issues, some say that due to the fins raising up at speed, going right to reverse could catch the fin and prevent it.

I guess my question is, why would you be slamming into reverse at high speed anyway ? I'm sure that isn't good for the boat, gate or propulsion system...

Seriously, not being in such a hurry and practice are just as helpful but I'll say if your engine unexpectedly dies under some circumstances some kind of rudder can be a life saver.

I’ve install the cobra!
I agree will help in low speed but Will be hard on the nozzle and steering at high speed
Even with a bad crafstmanship of the product (not well made) i have to do several adjustment to fit... it will help with the steering for sure.View attachment 36154View attachment 36155
Wow, That baby looks Medieval !! Certainly wouldn't want to smack my leg on it !! BTW, Just received the Thrust Vector and it looks very nice, very professional and is super light weight. I thought they sent me an empty box at first... I will keep everyone posted on how it does once installed and tested.

I have not had any issues, some say that due to the fins raising up at speed, going right to reverse could catch the fin and prevent it.
I wish I could mount a GoPro back there and watch how the fins operate. I do notice issues turning right at higher speeds, but figured that was chalked up to physics and angular momentum generated by the 2 impellers and the fact that Seafood don't have any hydrofoils or stabilizers to get them in water making it noticeable, compared to other boats.

So I just ordered a Thrust Vector for my 210 Challenger and wanted to see if anyone else has one on their boat ? Looks like it could certainly help when docking and pulling into a slip.

I would be interested to know how this works for you. The last time on the lake my wife had the option of backing down the trailer on a huge ramp or drive the boat. She decided her better option was to drive the boat, and she had a very difficult time with the steering. To be fair the boat is only about 18' long and the jet spins it around like a top.

I saw this when looking up thrust vectors for sale for SeaDoo: JetBoatPilot

Is this the brand you bought?

Regards

She decided her better option was to drive the boat, and she had a very difficult time with the steering.

She just needs to practice and learn where "neutral" is. My wife drives ours from time to time and there's a huge difference in her skill level when she does it more frequently.

I’ve install the cobra!
Even with a bad crafstmanship of the product (not well made) i have to do several adjustment to fit... it will help with the steering for sure.View attachment 36154View attachment 36155

I try it all day on the lake yesterday... low speed is somewhat good control but in high speed i can feel some dragging and resistence even going strait.... i think is because the fins is not very strait... i wondering if only 1 fin would be better..

I installed the jetboatpilot thrust vector ( same model fits all BRP jet pump drives) my sportster recently. I can certainly tell the difference at low speed. I am a relatively new boater and was a bit nervous around the busy boat ramps in South Florida where there are a lot of expensive boats. I also found this to be really nice when fishing around bridges and intercoastal docks. My only disappointment is I don't think this is build to last. My reverse bucket is already rubbing against the rubber stop of the thrust vector. The picture below is after the first few hours of install. I reached out to JetBoatPilot right away and they said they would send me a modified bumper kit. That was over a month ago and I have not received anything. They also have not replied back to my emails or calls. I am hoping this delay is due to recent impact of hurricane Michael and not bad customer service.
20180930_161255.jpg20180930_161313.jpg20180930_161258.jpg

Honestly, I think you guys will be better off without those things but I'm not sure if they'll really keep you from learning how to drive your boat.

I expect one day you'll remove it and discover your boat has more maneuverability than you imagined.

I've been driving jet boats for decades now and can vastly outmaneuver any sterndrive as long as my engine's running. The one instance where I lost power though thus had no steering and at a bad time going fast too near shore maybe some rudder could've helped but I shouldn't have been in that situation in the first place (my bad, poor choice). My boat wound up 10ft onshore sitting on a pile of rip-rap.

Don't get in a rush, boating is a time and place to relax and take it easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back