Just bought 2004 sportster le di

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

lashk

Today I cleaned it up and put a coat of wax on it. I added Stabil to the gas and filled it up and when I got home I ran it for about 5 minutes to let the Stabil get into the engine. It cranked on the first try. My question is this, the owners manual says to flush the engine after every use and spray lubricant into the silencer and then after shutting off the engine to remove the plugs and spray lube into the cylinders and the turn the engine over a few times and then replace the plugs. There was a can of "Bombardier Lube" in the storage compartment and I was wondering if this is the lubricant that you use in the cylinders and silencer? Also, is this the same lube for "fogging" the engine? Also, I just noticed the owners manual said to run the boat at 3500 rpm with the water hooked up, and I had it at whatever the boat idles at with no throttle, would this hurt anything and should it always be ran at the high idle? And lastly, do you run the hose full blast or not? Also, water was coming out of the large black hole on the right side of hull near jet outlet, is this the exhaust? please help!!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you run it in salt water, yes, you need to flush it out. You don't really need to spray lube in the cylinders unless you aren't gonna use it for a week or two. The Bombardier lube works good, or you could use spray silicone to coat everything after use....it's cheaper too. The engine will run at a high idle when on the hose because there is no load on the impeller out of the water. It should idle in or out of the water at about 1450 rpm's. For flushing, be sure it is running first than turn on the water...for 2 strokes let it run no longer than 5 minutes, then shut off the water and then shut off the engine. Water pressure full open on the hose should be fine. This way the water won't back up into the engine due to no back pressure coming out the exhaust. That large black hole should be the exhaust.

I hope this information helps out.

Karl

Is it okay that water is comming out of the exhaust port when the engine is running? Please bear with me, I'm new to jet boats.

Yes, the exhaust has a cooling jacket to keep it cool while it is running. That's why it is important to not run the water before it is started while it is on he hose. It will go back into the engine through the exhaust because of no back pressure from it running.
In our "Premium Member" section are owners manuals and service manuals that might give you a lot of information. You can down load it or just read it on line as a pdf file.Click on the manual link for more details. It isn't free, but it only costs $10.00 for the whole month.Check it out.

Karl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back