Is VTS inherently flawed?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
I have a general question. I read a lot of threads about VTS not working…or being removed….or being repaired…and a lot about it being a common problem…all the way up to frying the MPEM.

My question is…what exactly is wrong with the VTS that makes it so problematic? Are they all just literally a ticking time bomb? Do they all have a flaw? Is it because owners neglect something? Or can preventative maintenance make them fine?

My 1998 GSX ltd has it intact and working…but I’m basically afraid to use it currently, because of the horror stories online about it frying the computer.

1685654606801.png

Water gets in,,,and stays in,,,and eventually fries the circuit boards…
Thank you! That seems like a pretty straightforward problem. So keep the water out...nothing to be concerned with? I understand the boot on the outside could crack, but if I always check that and replace at first sign of age...there's nothing else inside the system lurking to fry things?

The part I was not clear on when they say the "module" is bad. Rather than the motor. Is that also due to getting wet? I thought maybe there was something flawed on the design of the module that was prone to failure. Is there just a way to unplug the thing to not worry about it? Or does it have to be completely removed and the wiring redone?

Just replace the outside boot and check the inner seal on the lid. I like to put some silicone grease on the lid seal.

As Popps said, they are fine if you keep water out of them.
Water damages the motor and the magnet on the rod then they over throw and mess up the module.

If you don't use it then just set the trim to the middle and unplug all the wires to it.

Thank you guys, I appreciate the good explanation. I'm going to open mine up and inspect to see if it's ever had water in it. If it looks good, I'll replace the boot, use the grease on the seal. If it looks crusty...I'm gonna unplug it. I appreciate it!

oh my gosh, I'm so glad I looked. I opened it up and water poured out. It's a mess in there. If I replaced the motor would that be a resolution to a potential problem? Or is it even worth the expense/effort? Unplugging it would be pretty easy to do. I don't even know yet how beneficial the VTS is...i'm still breaking this ski in.
fAc3KQ.&owa=outlook.live.com&scriptVer=20230519010.jpg
If I'm understanding correctly, it's not exactly the motor that would cause a problem. It's the "magnet" which tells the motor when to stop. Is that housed somewhere inside this part number 11? If I'm understanding correctly, then this means even if I replace the motor (#21), there's still the potential for a problem. I'm just trying to not fry the MPEM for a few extra MPH...so let me know if I'm understanding correctly.

1685665794922.png

Last edited:
Back