Is regular old TC-W3 oil bad for 90s DOOS?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

FultonD33

So I have owned Jet skis for about 6 months, premix, non premix, I have had both in several applications. Never ran any Sea Doo Brand oil or anything like that, I always used one of these two and I have never had any problems besides smoke and ain't that why they call em 2 smokes... I saw a couple things saying about how these kinds of oils are really bad for these engines and I am wondering if I have made a critical mistake in using them. Not sure where to get Sea Doo Oil or even how much it is but I am sure it's outrageous compared to this stuff so I would really like to keep running this stuff.

Pennzoil Marine XLF SYN Blend TC-W3 Oil | Academy

Quicksilver 1 gal Premium Plus TCW3 2-Stroke Oil | Academy

They answer is that no, you should not be using TCW-3 in your seadoo, run the recommended API-TC but the 720 and smaller engines don't need full synthetic or even semi-synthetic, mineral oil is fine.

The long answer is......
The following is from a Rotax Aircraft engineer but applies exactly to our 2-stroke Seadoos aslo powered by Rotax.....

There are many TC-W3 rated oils out there that are also APC-TC rated. API-TC OK, TC-W3 not OK, what about the ones rated both?

Hi Larry, you’ve asked a great oil question that really stirs up a lot of two stroke pilots. I have spent a lot of time researching to stroke oils. If I ask about engine oils when presenting a seminar, it seems like I’d get a different favourite oil from each attendee. Ok, here goes my opinion on the great oil debate.

Our Rotax aircraft engines operated at high load, high rpm and high piston temperature for prolonged periods. For our application the correct oil specified is API -TC (low ash) rated oil, period! This applies to to the aircooled (503) as well liquid cooled (582) aircraft engines equally.

A boat or watercraft engine is cooled by cool lake water and this engine application experiences much lower piston temperatures. These craft use TC-W3 rated oil.

A boats engines exhaust exits under the surface of the water. This reduces the exhaust sound level, however the products of combustion enter the water directly. TC-W3, (ashless boat oil) has an additive (detergent) package made up of organic substances to reduce water pollution. TC-W3 organic additive package will not withstand the much higher piston area temperatures our Rotax aircraft engine experience.

Our API-TC (low ash) oil for use in our aircraft Rotax aircraft engines has a additive (detergent) package made up of metallic substances (heavy metals) . This additive package is what allows piston area protection at much higher temperatures.

True API-TC oil users make up up a small percentage of the market, so oil companies have reformulated TC-W boat oil to also pass the minimum API-TC test standards. This fits all engines oil blend is like a “one size fits all” piece of clothing. I believe this dual purpose oil blend must contain the low temperature operation organic additive package or it couldn’t be used in a watercraft.

I would recommend you use only a specified standalone API-TC oil to protect your Rotax aircraft engine. Rotax has documents referring to correct operating fluids, including two stroke oil.

Regards John Baker iRMT 3852

Finally, will your engine blow up using TCW-3? No, probably not but it is not the correct oil, does not lubricate as well and has been known to cause the rotary valve and inner crank seals to leak.

In the end it is up to you to decide if you want to save a couple bucks and try an oil that isn't rated for your Seadoo.

You can get the Lucas for $25 a gallon.

oh no.... but I expected as much. What do you guys run for an API-TC oil thats an affordable option? I will just run what I have now but next time I need it I wouldn't mind spending a little extra on the right stuff.

Make sure the Lucas is the semi-synthetic 2-stroke. It’s good oil.
73a431b56ed96f5448a54786e5f6b424.jpg

If you have a 787 or 951 you should only be using full synthetic.

Lucas makes a few that are TCW/3 and should not be used.

Because I have 720’s,787’s and 951’s and a big group we all just run Seadoo XPS 2T full synthetic so we can buy one oil and every one can use it in a pinch.

I was always led to believe the Bombardier mineral oil was the stuff for these legacy machines. The local Seadoo dealer here in Canada brings it in in 45 gallon drums. We just bring our empty jugs down & get them refilled.
ive never worried about a few $ extra cost, a couple gallons of oil goes a long ways.
I put a little hour meter on mine when I first got it, (2nd owner, had about 50 hours when I was given it), shows 104 hours run time now, & still starts runs fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back