First Time Ski Owner - 05 3D fell into my lap

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently acquired a 2005 Sea-doo 3D, this is my first ever ski and am coming from an automotive background needless to say im sure i'll be in for some excitement.

From what i've learned its a 787 RFI 2 stroke

Before i got the ski it was stored on the trailer with the passenger side wheel taken off the trailer as added security, the oil reservoir was not emptied before storage and with the wheel missing off the trailer the oil tank was a lot higher than the block, when i first got the engine was hydrolocked, i could only get it started by removing the plugs blowing all the oil out then it would actually turn over and try fire. Got new plugs in it still couldn't keep it started unless i was cheating with starter fluid.

Now i'm not helpless here, its pretty obvious this things got a intake fuel pump module and it was not kicking on. So i sourced a entire module from a 04-07 GTI that had the same connector(fuel oulet was clocked differently too had deal with that) and dropped it in. Took a few tries, but now i am getting it to start and stay running. Yes, i keep water running to it while running and kept it running for about 3 mins while it smoked out the neighborhood. Thing hasn't ran in at least 2-3 years according to the previous owner. It smoked ALOT at first but cleared up shortly and each start now has a little less smoke.

This is my first small engine, i come from rotary and boxer engine automotive background. Forgive my ignorance, but there's no oil pan right? Just the engine case and the external oil reservoir, so do i change the oil before attempting my first sea trials? I would assume fine the lowest port on the engine and drain from there, but is there even a point to do that? Should i just suck it from the reservoir add fresh and crank it over and let it ride?

Are people concerned about the oil injection? When i hear oil injection i think of failure points, is it unwise to attempt to block off oil injection and run premix?
Or is the failure rate so low on these its really about just taking care of it.

When it comes to 2 stroke oil, only thing i know currently is "tcw3" rated oil for premixing in my cars, can i use that generic stuff here? Manual says mineral oil, but i just want a 2 stroke oil i can get off the shelf around town.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
tl;dr
just got jet ski from crackhead neighbor cause was behind on rent, talking <$500 total investment so far. help me decide if want to flip or keep?

Attachments

• 27CD0777-4E1E-40EE-A6E9-93600BF89D48.jpeg
    27CD0777-4E1E-40EE-A6E9-93600BF89D48.jpeg
    375.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 9E9CD0FD-DAC3-48C0-BD10-B78E2CC0B845.jpeg
    9E9CD0FD-DAC3-48C0-BD10-B78E2CC0B845.jpeg
    575.4 KB · Views: 14
  • ADAFF7F0-D377-4831-AC40-114BF52FF23D.jpeg
    ADAFF7F0-D377-4831-AC40-114BF52FF23D.jpeg
    286.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Correct, there is no oil pan. Sea-Doo's oil injection pump is known to be incredibly reliable, and there is no real reason to convert to premix unless you just enjoy mixing fuel and spending money on oil. DO NOT use TCW3 oil in your ski - ONLY use low ash, API TC injector oil. I use Sea-Doo's synthetic XPS exclusively as it's the easiest to find near me. I would remove all the oil currently inside the tank and replace with the correct, quality oil before firing it up again.

Since the ski hasn't run in several years, I'd also fill the fuel tank full of 32:1 premix in addition to the oil being supplied by the injection pump. It'll be a mosquito fogger for the first tank, but the extra lubrication won't hurt a thing. Check/rebuild your carbs with genuine Mikuni rebuild kits as well - avoid aftermarket parts as often as you can with these skis.

Lastly, I'm not familiar with the 787 RFI skis, but if you have gray Tempo fuel lines, you'll want to change those out immediately as well. The ethanol in modern fuels eats the lines from the inside out, creating a nasty green goo that clogs carburetor passages & fuel filters.

No carbs to rebuild, no fuel lines to replace. Your ski is fuel injected.
do not mix oils, sometimes they gel and clog the filter.
your 787 RFI motor has a rotary valve that runs in an oil bath.
there is a feed side and a return side. You can drain the oil from the low side of the rotary valve oil bath. most likely you will make a mess. Change the in-line filter on the feedline from the oil tank to the oil pump. Also change the 3/32 oil lines from the oil pump to the cylinders (2) The 3/32 lines are Tygon … available at a lawnmower shop or possibly Home Depot. Lots of good information here keep searching when you have problems. Good luck.
ps: no flow in oil bath….supply bottom hose of oil tank and ‘vent’ top hose of oil tank

Last edited:
NEVER boost or jump battery… it will possibly destroy the MPEM (computer)
Fuel injection skis love a good battery

No, do not premix the fuel injected skis like your 787 RFI.

I would change both of the in-tank fuel filters and clean the fuel tank and put in fresh fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back