TC-W3 Oil in 1994 GTX - stalled now won't start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

krazikarl5

Newbie to owning a sea doo and this Forum. Owned it for only two weeks. A family member unknowingly bought and used the wrong oil in my ski. The tank was topped off with approx 1 quart of tc-w3. When i returned and got on the ski it started right up and ran well for a few minutes before sputtering and stalling. Would not restart after it stalled. It was only after I pushed it back to shore did I learn about the oil. Am I right to think the oil is causing the problem? Where do I go from here? drain the oil? Amsoil full synthetic the agreed upon oil of choice?

The wrong oil won't make it not start. You have issues else where. Had the fuel system every been rebuilt? Fuel lines, carbs, fuel selector replaced? Your engine does not require synthetic. You can run it, but you'll see no gain from it.

I don't think the oil is the problem, maybe in some weird case it would react with the existing oil gel up and clog the filter causing the pump to be starved of oil. I don't think this is the cause of your no start but if you really think this is the problem a compression test would tell you right away.

Check the simple stuff like is the fuel selector turned on, are the carbs getting gas, how much gas is in the tank. You might be jumping the gun on the oil thing, I agree mixing is not ideal and you're probably going to have people tell you your ski is ruined drain everything replace everything it all needs to be rebuilt your ski it totalled.

The fuel lines have been replaced (dont have the infamous gray ones) but beyond that I don't know what else, if anything has been rebuilt. I pulled the plugs and they seem to have oil on them. About to pull the spark plug pipes to see if they are shot. If so where can I get new ones specifically for my ski?

I'm assuming spark plug boot/cap. You can unscrew them and clip the spark plug wire. So when you take the cap off, use some good wire cutters and trim 1/4" off the end of the wire and screw the boots back on. Then try it. But check for spark first. Pull the plug it, out it back in the boot, ground it against the engine and try and start it while looking for spark. Just try it for a few seconds. Be careful

There is a chance the wrong oil will gel in the filter and starve the engine of oil. If the wrong oil was the only change then the engine wouldn't run I would check the compression first.

Spark plug wires don't typically go bad or have to be replaced.

Why did he add oil? Did it "run out"? I'd look at compression and I'd suspect something amiss. That's why nobody rides my shiznit any more unless I'm there. They just don't know the damage they can do rather quickly. Hope you get is solved quickly and cheaply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back