Ran in shallow water, wouldn't start. Now starts?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Twigg1012

My sister ran our 1992 GT in about 1ft of mud and it stalled. Cleared the intake grate and it wouldn't fire, seemed like no spark as I could not get it to fire with some extra fuel+oil through the sparkplug hole.

After the 20min tow back to the dock, it fired right up. Seemed like it would bog some but eventually it cleared out. What do you think happened and would there be a way to fix it out on the water? Is there something I should be cleaning out?

I would inspect the impeller for weeds or any other debris and a quick back flush on the hose.
Thanks for the response!

I checked right after it stalled, grate seemed clear but there was very fine mud where she was, I was standing in 1 ft of water, then I sunk another foot down standing there. Would checking the impeller require removing the pump?

After it was towed back and I ran it some on the water, I also ran it on the hose for a bit afterwards.

I was thinking of just visually looking at the impeller with a flashlight, just for weeds. It probably got a lot of sand in the cooling system, if you have flushed it and it’s running ok then I don’t think you have anything to worry about

That's what I'm hoping for but I'm confused as to why it didn't fire up right after. Tried to start it a few times after, once even while being towed, no dice, but it was fine once I pulled it on our float and it ran fine in the water afterwards. :confused:

Maybe just the extra force being exerted on the impeller from all the mud? Kind of the way they will start on land but not in the water if they have low compression? That’s all I can think of. Run it, if you have any more bogging issues though I would look into it, maybe the fuel system and post on here if you need help. Hopefully it’s all good though

Maybe just the extra force being exerted on the impeller from all the mud? Kind of the way they will start on land but not in the water if they have low compression? That’s all I can think of. Run it, if you have any more bogging issues though I would look into it, maybe the fuel system and post on here if you need help. Hopefully it’s all good though
Yes the fuel system isn't perfect. I need to squirt fuel+oil into the carbs to start it first thing in the day but it would start right up after that for the whole day.

It really seemed like it had no spark since I put fuel directly in the cylinders and it wouldn't fire at all but I guess it's due for a compression check too.

Yes the fuel system isn't perfect. I need to squirt fuel+oil into the carbs to start it first thing in the day but it would start right up after that for the whole day.

It really seemed like it had no spark since I put fuel directly in the cylinders and it wouldn't fire at all but I guess it's due for a compression check too.
Agree, if your still having issues a compression test is the best place to start

Its also possible,,that when the pump was clogged which could have prevented water being delivered to cool the engine…causing partial scoring!

Back