Intermittent Throttle 'Stoppage'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mgiffune

Greetings all...weird problem on my 95 XP. After a full day of riding, burning almost a full tank of gas, I had a weird throttle 'blockage' problem. Intermittently, the throttle would only 'pull' about a quarter of the way, then would stop as if hitting a physical obstruction. The throttle would return to idle and back to 1/4 smoothly and freely, but stop as soon as it hit that blocking point.

I found that if I pulled the choke slightly, the throttle would return to full motion for a period of time, and then block up again shortly after. Of course, when it's parked and not running, I can't reproduce the problem at all, everything moves free and clear. I lubed the cable with some WD-40, but no change, it happened again while riding.

Any thoughts?

Pop the air box off, and look for an issue. Generally, if it's a cable issue... then it will be stiff. What you are describing is something stuck in the linkage. BUT... make sure something didn't fall down into the carb!!!

That was my first guess, too Doc. Something binding in the linkage. Took off the airbox and evrything seemed as it should be. Spent about 40 minutes moving things around. and could get nothing to stick from the throttle cable, choke, or (I think?) the cable going to the oil pump. Everything moved freely with no binding or play.

Guess I'll get it back out on the water and see if I can get it to stick long enough to inspect it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back