Input on used Sportster and questions, New boater.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Prokesh

I’m just curious, and looking for insight from other SeaDoo 4-Tec boat owners…

I bought a used, 2007 SeaDoo Sportster, 4-Tec Superharged SCIC. The boat was a Repo! I do believe it was a repo from a death-estate, but a repo none-the-less and apparently surrendered with gear still on board. Here’s my assessments:

Cosmetic condition: The top of the boat shows some sun damage. Possibly repaired with a good rubbing compound and wax. Couple of small hair cracks in the gel-coat of the console cover and engine bay cover. Fairly new original seat covers. Minor scratches to be expected, but No apparent Hull damage and hardly no water take-on.

Mechanical Condition: Perfect! Starts instantly, Runs like a sewing machine, LOVVVVVE the Supercharger sound! The sump pumps, blower fan, stereo, lights, instruments, pretty much everything worked as it should. Doesn’t appear to express any signs of salt water.

Should also note that I asked (jokingly) if the gear on board went with it, and the response I got was “Don’t leave without it”. So here’s what I got:

Boat, Trailer, 4 brand spanking new PFD Life vests, 1 Throwable PFD, Nav lights, Extinguisher, Paddle, SeaDoo tool kit, Ski Rope with handle, One clamp-on Trolling Motor (yea…, still really confused about that one), and a cooler full of who-knows-how-old-beer.

Also included:
-T-15 Georgia transfer
-New Georgia Registration thru April 2020
-Brand New Marine battery installed by Huggins Marine
-Full Service and fluids by Huggins Marine

End Tally was $4700 cash out the door. Considering the New PFD’s for each seat, throw, paddle, extinguisher, a brand new $150 Marine battery (installed), full fluid service, Transfer and Georgia registration fees…All of which I would have had to pay out-of-pocket regardless just to put it in the water, I feel comfortable saying I walked away with the boat and trailer for $4,000 even.

Questions:

1. This is my first boat, just wondering how well I did or didn’t do price-wise?
2. I’ve searched everywhere…Does ANYONE know where the hour meter is located on this boat?
3. Is there anything I need to address, service, or inspect?
4. Does anyone know the bolt-pattern (5-lug) of the original trailer wheels? (Bad tire and looking at wheel/tire combo at Walmart).
5. Curious what octane/type of fuels and oils you guys have been running?
6. I already know about the ceramic clutch on the supercharger on this year boat and the 100-hour rebuild, hfgreg got me straight on that, but is there any words of caution or anything else hypercritical with this year/model boat?
7. Has anyone upgraded to the X-Charger on a 4-Tec boat (Strongly considering that…any Thoughts or comments)?
8. Does anyone know where I can get better speakers, or what size to shop for

Thanks SO Much for any assistance or input?

Attachments

• IMG_20170701_054738.jpg
    IMG_20170701_054738.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20170627_211916400.jpg
    IMG_20170627_211916400.jpg
    986.2 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20170701_054913.jpg
    IMG_20170701_054913.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 51
I think you did well. in Canada you would not get a 2007 for that little (taking exchange rate into account). I few years ago my seadoo mechanic was selling a similar boat without the extras for about double that. that is not to say the going rate in your area is that high. in Canada we end up paying a lot more for these.

Also, you had me a "a full cooler"

Hr meter can be determined by the ecu report .. if done over 100 hrs and the supercharger isn't serviced you will be up for even more money as they use ceramic washers that break and cause more damage.

That's an 05 or 06. 2007 went back to calling it a speedster and looked like this...
1.jpg

Still sounds like a good deal!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to know for sure check the serial number. It is probably on the transam. I can't remember how the code works but it should be easy to figure out

Well that's interesting...was posted as a 2007 when I bought it. Here's the number as it was registered with Georgia D.N.R... HINCEC1287I506. Any input on that for correct year would be GREATLY Appreciated before I start ordering parts. I hope I didn't just screw up ordering the boat cover for an 07'. This was original facebook listing shown in pic, and sure enough the credit union holding the repo paperwork listed 07 on the Form T-15.

Attachments

• IMG_20170701_174919.jpg
    IMG_20170701_174919.jpg
    377.4 KB · Views: 33
Last edited by a moderator:
Well that's interesting...was posted as a 2007 when I bought it. Here's the number as it was registered with Georgia D.N.R... HINCEC1287I506. Any input on that for correct year would be GREATLY Appreciated before I start ordering parts. I hope I didn't just screw up ordering the boat cover for an 07'. This was original facebook listing shown in pic, and sure enough the credit union holding the repo paperwork listed 07 on the Form T-15.
No problem with parts interchanging, they are the same boat minus graphics. Think there was a gauge pod change around that year also, but nothing big.

I think the last 2 digits are the year. So 2006?

You may very well be right Lumps... I know I was taught way back in the academy (25 year cop) to count VIN numbers from left to right to the tenth digit and that would decode year models. But its been so long ago I don't recall if that applied to all vehicles including boats or just road vehicles...but in actuality, the 10th digit in this number would indicate 2007 in a a car. That being said, if pvamax is correct, I can see where they made that as an honest mistake since it was a bank repo and they did the T-15 transfer.

That's an 05 or 06. 2007 went back to calling it a speedster and looked like this...
1.jpg

Still sounds like a good deal!

You may very well be right Lumps... I know I was taught way back in the academy (25 year cop) to count VIN numbers from left to right to the tenth digit and that would decode year models. But its been so long ago I don't recall if that applied to all vehicles including boats or just road vehicles...but in actuality, the 10th digit in this number would indicate 2007 in a a car or truck. That being said, if pvamax is correct, I can see where they made that as an honest mistake since it was a bank repo and they did the T-15 transfer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back