Information Needed

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a 2004 Sea Doo 15' Sportster. I need to outfit it with all the necessary items to meet US Coast Guard regulations.
What diameter & length mooring (dock) lines ?
What diameter & length anchor line ?
What weight anchor, I assume a Danforth is the best choice ?
What length paddle in case the motor quits & I have to paddle back to shore ?
The boat came with a Kidde dry chemical 2-3 lb BC rated fire extinguisher. Is this adequate ?
Are visual distress signals required on a 15' boat ?
Whistle or horn required ?
Throwable flotation aid (cushion) required ?
I understand a USCG life jacket is required for each passenger
What length boat hook to assist docking ?
Any other required or recommended equipment ?
Best place to purchase aforementioned items ?
Any information would be greatly appreciated
Thank you.

Both posters above offer good advice. The link covers uscg regs, you may be subject to additional state regs. Boating safety course is always good value and offers the opportunity to learn local nuance.

I'd go with 3/8" nylon double braid for your dock lines, if trailering only you want 2 x 10' -15', if permanently mooring add 2 x 15' for springs. Pre-spliced eye at one end of each would be handy, if you're not. Learn some basic knots - bowline, cleat hitch, clove hitch.

Again, nylon double braid for anchor, but upsize to 1/2". Length should be 5x expected anchoring depth. I'd go with a modern anchor profile like a Rocna, or Manson supreme/boss, probably the smallest (I think it's a 5lb - there are sizing charts) otherwise you really have to choose anchor type depending upon typical bottom material for your area. You want 5' of 1/4" chain between the anchor and line.

For a boathook, get a collapsible/extendable twist-lock, works like a swimming pool vacuum handle. Stows well at 2' ish, extends to 4' ish.

Both posters above offer good advice. The link covers uscg regs, you may be subject to additional state regs. Boating safety course is always good value and offers the opportunity to learn local nuance.

Great advice for sure, may I ask why you suggest a fluke anchor for this boat? We just purchased a 2012, live on a lake and were going to use a old mushroom anchor we had laying around.

Great advice for sure, may I ask why you suggest a fluke anchor for this boat? We just purchased a 2012, live on a lake and were going to use a old mushroom anchor we had laying around.
Sure, if a mushroom works for you there's nothing wrong with using it. For comparative holding power, they're heavy and don't perform well with wind/wave action, as a temporary anchor. It's just their weight and silt building up on them over time that prevent them from being dragged around. Unless we're talking about a light rowboat in protected waters.

I boat on lake Ontario, typically a mud or sand bottom with plenty of wind/wave. I want to back down under low power, with the wind, to set and forget my anchor, knowing it's not going to move until I say so. If I was trying to save money and lose some of the performance, I'd go with a hinged Danforth as a step down.

And I almost forgot, go to the NOAA website and review/print a copy of the chart for wherever you plan to boat, if available! If for nothing else, to confirm there aren't any hidden obstructions that you'd rather find on paper than with your hull...

...the more you know.

And I almost forgot, go to the NOAA website and review/print a copy of the chart for wherever you plan to boat, if available! If for nothing else, to confirm there aren't any hidden obstructions that you'd rather find on paper than with your hull...

...the more you know.
Thanks for the advice

My favorite anchor is a Danforth, I think we used the mushroom in a river for a while but settled on the Danforth.

Use what you have if it works well for the conditions and otherwise suits your needs. I hear the Great lakes can present a real challenge.

I like the lite weight and holding power of my aluminum Danforth, have not needed a chain rode in our small lake but try a boat-length of chain + 8x water depth rope if you encounter performance issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back