Impeller shaft wear and Oil Seal

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiggo

Just dismantled the Jet Pump and have at least 3 questions.
1. When I pulled the impeller off, I did not see an Oil Seal under the thrust bearing/washer. It looked like this.
20220124_170532.jpg
Is that correct? Does that unscrew. I thought there would be an Oil Seal with a rubber seal around the shaft.

Question #2
My impeller shaft had a little bit of play. Up and down and wiggle room side to side. I see the shop manual says a little is okay but my impeller shaft has score marks. Should I replace it and the bearings?
20220124_152938.jpg
Question #3
The Anti-rattle spring assembling fell out of the impeller cone. I see in the shop manual how it goes back in but talks about inserting a rod to hold it before torqueing the bolts. Is that just to keep it from falling out again? I'm guessing it just rests against the impeller shaft. Should I replace it too?
20220124_152959.jpg
Thanks in advance.
Alan

Was the first picture the side that you push out the bearings and this is the side with the Oil Seal that they would come out of?
20220124_182257.jpg

If you can find the anti-rattle set up like that please share the information.

On the installation of the anti-rattle mechanism you install the cone assembled but before you tighten all the way, do it progressively, you insert (through the oil fill hole) whatever fits. :) And you push on the lever "inside" the housing which is part of the anti-rattle mechanism. This makes sure it is not jamming up on you and preloading the mechanism. So as you tighten the small screws on the cone, use whatever tool fits in the hole and gently push the lever on the anti-rattle mechanism. You'll feel it. I usually have to play with them a little bit. I don't remember "if" when everything is tight, you should be able to get some movement. It's a test to make sure it is all free. As best I can describe, hope this helps.

I'm thinking if you don't have these parts that you just go back to the "OLD" Seadoo parts with the spring and the plunger. If someone could verify this that would be great. Good Luck !!

There is no oil seal on the thrust bearing.

As far as they pump shaft goes, if the grooves are smooth and shallow you can reuse it. I'd replace the oil seal on the end. Clean an flush the pump housing and put some synthetic grease in the pump bearings and the thrust bearing. Be careful when you assemble the pump. The thrist bearing can get a little sideways and get damaged. May sure it stays free during the assembly process.

Okay, thank you. I went ahead and ordered a rebuild kit and impeller shaft from OSD. I don't think anything has been replaced since 2004. Cheap insurance. The parts all look worn and some wear marks. I appreciate your help.
Alan

I use a Allen wrench to hold down the anti rattle when installing after it's installed there should be in and out movement to make sure anti rattle is working.people say use grease in the old pumps but I don't recommend grease in the older pumps have seen many many thrust bearings distorted from heat.use what it came with and lasted all this time jet pump oil

Do not use grease in the 2-stroke pumps.

On the anti rattle cone I keep pushing the lever in and out with an Allan wrench the entire time I’m evenly tightening the cone. That way you know it’s free. Too many times I previously tightened it only the find that the lever was stuck before I started pushing it in and out the entire time.

A lot of people save money and use Mobile 1 gear oil in the pumps.

Do not use grease in the 2-stroke pumps.

On the anti rattle cone I keep pushing the lever in and out with an Allan wrench the entire time I’m evenly tightening the cone. That way you know it’s free. Too many times I previously tightened it only the find that the lever was stuck before I started pushing it in and out the entire time.

A lot of people save money and use Mobile 1 gear oil in the pumps.
I bought the XPS Jet Pump Oil for it. So you put the small Allen wrench through the fill hole? And the long tab is facing that side? With the flat side of the Anti-Rattle facing the hole? I need to look at the Shop Manual for a visual. It's a weird setup because the spring is sideways in the cone. So the pusher only slides perpendicular to the impeller shaft. Right?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-01-29 124031.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-01-29 124031.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot 2022-01-29 124234.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-01-29 124234.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 7
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back