Impeller installation gone wrong...Need HELP!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

tnez10

So Im trying to do my own impeller and ring installation on my 03 GTX. To make a long story short I screwed up installing the impeller the first time and somehow stripped the first few threads of the nut and impeller. Does anyone know if I can use rethreading tool to clean up the bolt and impeller and if so what size of tool? I looked at some rethreading kits online but they don't look like they come with a big enough tool for the large center bolt. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Im really hoping I don't have to buy another new impeller.

If its just the first few threads, were they equally damaged? Sometimes.... there is a "dominant member". Where the male thread dominates the female thread or vise verse. With a little luck and effort, you might be able to correct this. Can you provide any pics?

Thanks for the response. Yes it is the first few threads on both the male and female side. Here are a few pics. Let me know what you think.

IMAG0436.jpg
IMAG0432.jpg

Ok , If it were mine...with the tools I have on hand...I would try to eliminate the first thread or two on both male and female. The trick of course would be re creating the starter thread. At this point I'm figuring I've got nothing to lose. I'm going to approach this with the mindset that a 10-20% reduction in thread count would be worth the shot. IF... I can't find a reasonably priced tap and dye kit.

Now keep in mind, I would be asking for advise from this forum too, before I procede

Last edited by a moderator:
So i've decided to ship my impeller back to Impros and have them clean up the threads. In the meantime i'm thinking of just reinstalling my old impeller (even though its jacked up) until I get the new one back. Judging by the pic below what kind of performance issues will I have from the banged up impeller compared to a new one. This is my first Seadoo and I bought it with bad wear ring and impeller and havnt even got to take it out yet.

IMAG0437.jpg

So i've decided to ship my impeller back to Impros and have them clean up the threads. In the meantime i'm thinking of just reinstalling my old impeller (even though its jacked up) until I get the new one back. Judging by the pic below what kind of performance issues will I have from the banged up impeller compared to a new one. This is my first Seadoo and I bought it with bad wear ring and impeller and havnt even got to take it out yet.

View attachment 14540

The clearance doesn't look bad, but the leading edge is sure chewed up. Smooth it up with a file or dremel tool and you should be okay until you get your new one back.

If the impeller gets cleaned up by the manufacturer, you still need to deal with the threads on the impeller shaft. I would take a fine toothed file, preferably a triangle shaped file, and clean up the threads so it doesn't mess the impeller up when you go to thread it on. A triangle file has fine edges on three sides so you can get into the threads better. I have done this on bolts with good luck.

As far as the old impeller El Toro is right on. Your clearance doesn't look bad but the leading edge could use a clean up. When the new one comes in, I would send the old one out to SBT for an impeller exchange. It costs around $60 but they send you a reman one then you ship the old one back to them as a core. I have done this twice now and the impellers they send are nicely done. They are originals though, not performance impellers I have had done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back