if supercharger washers break will it mess up motor

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I purchased my 200speedster Naturally Aspirated (310HP), I ran against a Super Charged(430HP) model identical to mine. We had exactly the same boat load, fuel and conditions running side by side. The only difference was at speeds of about 52+. The Super Charged model walked ahead...didn't run, but walked ahead of me. We played for about 45 minutes and the Super Charged model used 2x's as much fuel...at 91 octane. After we were done playing, the big comment was he wished he saved the extra money and got the 310 HP. Less maintenance too.

Karl

Bottom line superchargers need to be well maintained.... Replace ceramic washer with metal ones, Inspect and check the slip every 25-30hrs, rebuild it every 80-100hr depending how you ride. Turbo is the best way but hard to deal with the heat. When i bought mine i went with the 155hp model so i wouldnt have to deal with all the SC issues, BUT im saving up for an RXP 215hp witch i plan to mod and the first thing ill be doing is a SC rebuild with riva washers.

how do you check the slip on the SC, can it be done on the engine? How much slip if any is ok?

I have a 2006 gtx with 44 hrs and ride it easy, just pull tubes and wake boards with it and has mineral oil in it. I hoping to get at least 100 hrs on it before I have to rebuild the SC.

Thanks you all

so if I understand correctly, if i get an 05 or newer challenger with the 215HP Supercharged engine, I'm going to need to do a rebuild about every 100hrs.

looking at RIVA
http://www.rivayamaha.com/RivaStore...IVA Heavy-duty SD Supercharger Clutch Washers

I'm assuming I would need the
420881100 Supercharger Shaft/Clutch Kit, `08 Spec

so about every 100hrs i need to drop about $350 ? I'm cool with doing it myself, but I'm one of those anal budgeting types who needs to create a spread sheet to estimate maintenance costs :)

hey guys, i replaced my washers recently on my RXT cause they had broken, luckly they were already metal when i brought it second hand so they had just cracked so nothing went threw the engine, my mates rxt recently started having the same symtoms so i said ild pull off his supercharger and do the washers for him, unfortunatly his were ceramic and one of them has gone, he wants me to just put the new washers on and put it back together cause one of his other mates told him it wont be a problem and will just sit in the bottom of the engine and not harm anything.. will the engine have to come out which is what i always thought.. i just wanna go back to him with the right answer, dont want to put it back together if it blows straight after i put it back together. thanks guys

You will have to take the engine apart. Those ceramic washers went through both oil pumps and they will have to be removed to inspect for damage.

Chester

08 Challenger 180 Washers

Is there any way to tell if mine are ceramic without taking it apart?I've got about 100 hours on mine. Is it time to rebuild anything. It runs great without any problems.

You need to have to have the super charger serviced at about every 100 hours of use. Usually a sure sign of things going bad is loss of top RPM...it will not exceed 6500 rpm's at first...then it might come apart. That's when it gets expensive. Usually at every 100 hours of use you should pull it apart and replace the washers and inspect it. It just might just let go at 102 hours of use.

Karl

Interesting thread...thanks !! I'm considering a 2010 Challenger 210 to replace an old outboard deck boat. I was leaning toward the NA instead of the supercharged version but the extra HP is tempting.

Does anyone know if the 2010 SCs have the same engineering? If so I'll definitely go the NA route.

I guess a related question would then be .... will an NA 210 be able to pull up out of shape 210 pound people ?? lol

Thanks

The 2010 SC don't have the ceramic washers anymore, but you still need the rebuild every 100 hours, because the washers are meant to slip, which causes wear. One of my ceramic washers were missing when I pulled mine apart. 2 oil pumps machined plus pulling the entire engine/pump would of cost me around $1200, but the dealer picked up the cost since I had never used it yet, plus I asked them the whole time many times if the SC rebuild had been done (had 131 hrs on it). Turned out, it hadn't. From reading plenty of threads, I think its Dr Honda who has 90 HP's and he stated it pulled fine. I had a 90 HP Bayliner jet in the past, and it tubed fine.

ATTENTION 2004-2007 SEA-DOO RXP, RXT, GTX and 215 WAKE OWNERS: Sea-Doo (BRP) has agreed to a proposed class action settlement covering the ceramic washer problem with 2004-2007 4-Tec Series supercharged watercraft. Owners who purchased these boats in CA can submit claims for reimbursement of costs associated with washer failures and for costs incurred to replace the ceramic washers. Also, BRP is extending warranty coverage on washer failure. Here is the link to the settlement website, which includes details and a claim form:

http://www.ceramicwashersettlement.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back