I know its stupid

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

patelmd

hi every one,

last week end when i ran out of gas on my 2004 sportster 4 tec, i poured gas into it from a portable gas container. in the process i dropped the plastic nozzle in the gas tank. its made of white plastic, about 6 or 7 inches long. stupid hann. so is there any way to get it out or any harm in leaving it in there? any suggestions? thanks.

I did the same thing with my boat 3 yrs ago, the nozzle popped off and slid into the tank hose.

Yours is probably still in the hose, I used a shop vac to suck it out.
If possible D/C the hose from the tank so you don't suck up any gas into the vac motor.

Good luck

where in Michigan do you live?

OK, I'm not familiar with the boats. Are the tanks on the white/yellow side in color?
If you can see it then maybe you can fish it out with a coat hanger or something.

Patel.Mate.Don't go anywhere near the fuel tank with an electric motor(shop vac)Sparks and fuel vapour don't go well together.If you do,I may well be picking you up from down here.

Patel.Mate.Don't go anywhere near the fuel tank with an electric motor(shop vac)Sparks and fuel vapour don't go well together.If you do,I may well be picking you up from down here.

Or if you do, make sure someone is taking video for one of the Dumbest things I've ever done shows! Might make a couple of bucks from it!!!

First up - I'd try filling the tank with fuel (provided the plastic cap floats and will rise to the surface), then a spot of fishing carefully with a wire coat hanger.

I haven't tried removing my tank, but it might not be too difficult with the quick release straps...?

i'd guess you'll end up fishing for the thing for a few hours, get a couple a nibbles but end up "fishless". Personally, i'd just leave it there. and if it's one of those damn eco-friendly nozzles be glad you lost it!

And we could add it to the Darwin Awards

i'm definitely on borrowed time. according to Darwin, I should have been dead years ago.

I'll be offline for a while today. the gas tank on my truck is dripping, I was going to weld a patch over it today.

BJ, make sure the tank is full of gas before welding, this way you can see the holes much better.

if i see what looks like a sunspot coming from the Pittsburgh area then I know it's you just working.....

i m gonna take the easy way out and go with mikemor and just leave it there. any body else out there who has left something like this in the gas tank, problems? no problems? thanks

i'm definitely on borrowed time. according to Darwin, I should have been dead years ago.

I'll be offline for a while today. the gas tank on my truck is dripping, I was going to weld a patch over it today.

It would actually be safer welding it full than empty... It's the fumes that ignite, not the gas. Throw a lit cig into a puddle of gas and it will go out. I know it's hard to believe but it's true. I'll still watch for the fireball though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back