I am about to maybe buy this boat / Hi guys I am new to boating / please help

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

factory81

I am about to maybe buy this boat / Hi guys I am new to boating / updated w/ engine

Hello my name is Ryan, and I am a 22 year old finishing up his associates degree.

I have never been behind the wheel of a boat really. Putting it on the trailer, pulling it out of the water. All foreign stuff to me. Although I really do want a fun boat to bring friends out on. For partying, for pulling people with tubes, and generally enjoying the water.

I need you guys to help me appraise this boat I am going to look at today.
How many people will this boat hold legally? Is it fast enough to tow people on a raft with?

These pictures are from last night during the dark and after it had rained.

Questions

1) Gas mileage - what will this boat cost me in terms of gas?

2) Cost of owning the boat - what costs are involved in realistically owning a boat so that I know I am not biting off more than I can chew

3) Is this boat a good deal?

4) What should I be asking him as a used boat buyer?

5) What should I know before buying a boat?

I see on eBay that these older 1996-1998ish smaller Sea-Doo boats run anywhere from $3200-5000 for a "good deal". I am thinking of low balling him $3,000 for the boat, but realistically I will spend $3,200-3,500 (with trailer of course)

Here are pictures of the boat, please guys help me out
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/kicker15L7/DSC03733.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/kicker15L7/DSC03734.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/kicker15L7/DSC03735.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/kicker15L7/DSC03736.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/kicker15L7/DSC03737.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/kicker15L7/DSC03738.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/kicker15L7/DSC03739.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/kicker15L7/DSC03740.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/kicker15L7/DSC03741.jpg

I am going to see him at 6:30 tonight with the boat. I am going to ask him things like how long has it been since it has been in the water, when was the last time it was licensed and insured, etc.

Also what kind of insurance / license costs will I be looking at?

I am a newbie on the sea guys. Help me not make a poor decision.

Thanks guys,
-Ryan

Last edited by a moderator:
Check for...

Unfortunately you didnt include any photos of the engine compartment or underside of the hull.

Your biggest risk is that the engine is on its last legs. Without an inspection, you cant be sure. You cant run it on dry land to check this because it wont rev to full RPM on dry land due to the electronics.

The sign says he is asking $ 4500 if I read it right. That is a tad high. You could easily get a twin engine Sea Doo for that.
However if the Challenger is very very clean it might fall into the rare category of premium price for a very exceptional condition boat - like mine ! Most older boats are beaters.

$ 3000 is not a low ball price, it is a reasonable price for a good condition boat.
$ 2000 would be low ball because thats what would cover a bad engine. If you have to put a new engine in a $ 3000 boat, you are at $ 4500 or more total.
I would go for a ride before purchase.

Gas consumption will be about 5 gallons per hour at reasonable cruise speeds.
That is not bad for a jet boat.

You are in Michigan ? No danger of salt water I assume.

It is a good and very fun boat, basically. But dont rush into it.

Further

I noticed you mentioned using it as a friends out on the water boat. You might be happier with a regular bow rider type boat - Sea Doos are sport boats. Because of the 3-across seating they are uncomfortable and no room to move around. You cant ride anyone in the bow seat.

However, as a 'learner boat' they are good - easy to launch, trailer etc. Lots of fun lightly loaded, not so much fun in choppy water or heavily loaded.

Make sure the engine compartment has not been flooded with water form standing out in the rain. That is fatal to engines.

They look like sporty party boats if you ask me. The bright colors and etc...plus the cost.

So these boats aren't really the best for going out and partying even if you drop anchor? I have looked at bowrider style boats and they seem to cost a bit more. I am trying to get a boat for under $5 grand.

Also how many people can I legally fit on this boat? Like 6-7...8?

Can people ride up front?

Also how many people can I legally fit on this boat? Like 6-7...8?

Can people ride up front?

My 96 Speedster is rated for 640lbs carrying capacity - if you went over that not sure what the legal ramifications are. However, you would at least need life jackets for all riders. Trust me 6-7 people is there is gonna suck huge.

I drive mine with 4 people at the most (taking it easy) - front seat is for show and "sun bathing" not for riding.

Don't people just sunbathe on the back?

I thought the front row was another "couch seat" that you could fit maybe one or two girls.

I might have to consider a different boat than won't I? Like someone said a bowrider?

Maybe a 18 or 23 foot Challenger?

The new boats on sea-doo.com have awesome amounts of space it looks like. As the years progressed it looks like sea-doo has tried to increase the seating capacity on their boats.

I am not going to deny it. Some of my friends and I wouldn't mind a pontoon (party barge). A 28 foot open deck with rails for all we care.
We do want something that is a little more appealing to the eye, comfortable, and allows us to pull people on a tube and stuff like that.

I can't afford a Sea-Ray here, and when I start wandering around eBay I get kind of lost.

Plus we don't want to spend $200 a day in gasoline to have it out (even though we could spend a lot of time just tied up next to other boats)

That boat is the same as the one I've got... 14.5 feet and 4 person capacity is the official number, and some parts of the country can give you a fine for having too many aboard. You need at least an 18 footer, but you can get those for not too much too... Check out craigslist for your area.

Since the economy is doing so poorly there are a lot of people selling their boats cheap. I'm in Vegas where it is even worse, but just today I saw an '88 glastron with a new interior for only $2000. (here).

Look around and you can find a good boat that'll work for what you want for your price... $5000 is pretty much the point where you can get an excellent boat that needs nothing.

$4000 or make offer. I told him $3200, but I didn't even ask him any questions about the boat. If he agrees to $3200 I will see if I get a boat cover, life jackets, tubes, and check the engine over.

Than if things turn out worse than expected I try and talk him down.

I have the 97 version, single 110 hp motor. I am pretty big, and my family is pretty big. I am 210 lbs, not telling you what the wife weighs (it IS less than me), and my dad is similar, mom a little less.

I state this because with the four of us in the boat, it takes FOREVER to get out of the hole. We had a great time cruising around at 45 mph at 3/4 throttle, but when I stopped and tried to take off again, I was looking at about 10-20 seconds to get it planed.

With the wife and myself, it takes 5-10 seconds to plane, but is a very fun boat.

I fill it up, and can ride the entire weekend on one tank, about 20 gallons. That is about 4 hours each day of 3/4 throttle, 45 mph-ish cruising around. So it is very good on gas.

Make sure the engine has good compression. And be prepared to work on it. I bought mine from KustomKarl, who took very good care of it and mine was in almost pristine shape with low hours, but since then I have had to put about $300 worth of parts into it (a little over a month). This is not Karl's fault, it was just 10 year old parts finally wearing out. Typical when you buy a machine that is this old.

So honestly, with your idea of hauling a bunch of chicks around (and I respect deeply that idea :cheers:), I would go with a prop-driven outboard for price, or if you have the dough, get a twin engine newer and bigger jet boat.

You may want to look into big-block older jet boats. They usually only carry four passengers, but you cannot beat 300-400 HP, open headers, and the sheer power and prestige gotten from one of those beasts! I have seen several locally in the 5K range.

every old boat wil have problems. my bro bought a 24 foot cuddy cabin for $4K and eneded up spending as much in repairs. its still not worth to take out on water so he gave up on it. make sure its not gonna be a big problem, and if you can wait till winter and buy one off season then maybe you can get a bigger boat for cheaper. you can get new boats these days for good price. but for a party boat, yeah you aint gonna get a small boat for that. you need to go over 20 feet to get a nice size party boat. or just get a pontoon boat, those can hold a lot more and are cheaper. but they are so damn slow too! HA!

Well the guy called back and said him and his wife would be willing to work with me on the $3200 price limit I set. He said he would be more than happy to take it out on the water and we can drive around.

How can I look over the engine better to make sure the engine is sound and in good condition?

Compression tester

They are about $15 at any auto parts store. Then read the forum for instructions on how to use it correctly. Takes about 10 minutes to check, and the results are the best estimate on how good a shape the engine is.

Other than that, just look at things. Any rusted cables, does everything move without squeaking or grinding. And of course, take him up on the ride.

Good luck, hope it works out for you :cheers:

Here is some info on a compression check;
The compression gage, will screw in the cylinder head in place of the spark plugs. To test compression, remove both spark plugs. Place spark plug caps on the plug cap studs near the cylinder head to ground the empty caps. This completes the circuit of the ignition electrical system and prevents any electrical problems from the caps being un grounded. Using the correct adapter for the threaded end of the tester,( same length of the spark plug threads length)screw in the tester in one plug hole. Hold the throttle wide open. Push the start button. Watch the compression gauge, when it peaks out at the most compression, let go the start button. Read the psi number. I would do it 3 times to be sure it is accurate. Check both cylinders the same way. The ideal compression is 150 psi per cylinder. If it is less, it's not a problem as long as they are close to being the same. If the psi is less than 90 it might need be time for a tear down and a rebuild. If the psi in 1 cylinder is say 140 psi and the other is 80 psi you need to tear down and repair. This difference is a lot and there is a problem. I hope this helps you.

Karl

Oh man you guys rule with helping me out here. Now all I need to do is figure out how to maintain the boat :)

So for that boat...if the engine tests good with compression...how much would you spend on it?
$3200 a fair price or should I try and aim for some $2700?

I think the boat is plenty big enough to bring groups of friends out on the boat, park and party. The gas mileage on these boats seems to be very good as well.

My grandma died and left me 20k but thats in the stock market, my mom passed away earlier this year and I had to pay for funeral costs. I have managed to save up enough working at an internet service provider in the call center to get a boat and I think its time I reward myself a little.

So have about 140psi compression?

I am thinking we go for the test ride and find out if everything is truly up to snuff there. Than I will go to Auto Zone and to do the compression test. So I can haggle him on the price before we do the compression test. If the compression test shows me that the engine isn't up to snuff than the real bargaining begins.....
Basically how much can I bargain with the guy :)

Bring the compression test equipment to the test drive. Follow Karl's instructions, and make it look like you know what you are doing (practice on your car, lawn mower, or something else you have with spark plugs. The tester will come with 3 (?) or 4 fittings that will fit just about anything with a piston). You may be able to get the price down if you look like a pro, and start pointing rusty and sticky connections out to him.

"You know, I hear that steering wheel grinding a bit, I bet I will have to swap out the steering cable" (save $300 bucks). "The VTS seems a little sticky too" (save $200), "The throttle linkage at the carburetors looks pretty corroded"...etc.

Best of all, if something doesn't turn out right, you get a chance to walk away without spending the big bucks. You are out $15 for the compression tester and your time, but you won't have a piece of crap on your hands...

Oh, yeah...the boat will be bogged down with 4 people. PERIOD. It is probably rated for 600 lbs...so start subtracting how light those chickie-babes are, and then your own weight, and figure out how many people you can haul. It gets pretty slow pretty quickly on only 110 hp.

Well I am going to bring 2 people with me, so 3 people will be looking at the boat with me today, and than the guy himself. So when we test ride it we will have 4 people on the thing.

Good idea, and then kick two of them out halfway through the test drive, and see how it would be with just you and a friend.

Good idea, and then kick two of them out halfway through the test drive, and see how it would be with just you and a friend.

How reliable are Sea-Doo boats? This is hearsay, but this lady who owns a Sea-Ray at work said her friend who knew this squirrel (just kidding), but a friend of hers said sea-doo's are in the boat repair shop all the time.

Is there any sort of agreement that sea-doo boats are less reliable than others?

I would say the older 2 stroke one are less reliable ten the 4 strokes, but reliablity has alot to do with how you drive and maintain it. ALL boat are HIGH maintinence PERIOD, Also look at the competition, you have sugarsands, yamaha I think thoughs are the only two and i would say seadoo is a better boat...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/kicker15L7/DSC03746.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/kicker15L7/DSC03747.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/kicker15L7/DSC03748.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/kicker15L7/DSC03749.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/kicker15L7/DSC03750.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/kicker15L7/DSC03751.jpg

I rode the boat with myself and than 2 friends and the guy. I drove the boat and it steered one way better than the other but he said this was normal. I think it turned to the right better. It turned from left to right with ease.
We got it going top speed no problems, the boat handles and sounds fine. There was no hesitation, stutter, smoke. You see what the engine looks like in the pics above.

There is no stereo in the boat :/

There are some imperfections in the boat in the vinyl from point to point, but all in all it looks fine.

I didn't do the compression test, but it sounds great. Thats probably a highlight for you guys right there "yeaahh I didn't do a scientific test...but the bitch sounded good".

He dropped the price to $3000, and said he would write $2000 on the title so my taxes would be less. Trailer is included, 3 cheap life jackets, some cheap top (not a bamimi top), a pretty crappy anchor. New battery in the boat this year.

It started up both times we went out no problems.

I got to play with the trim and all that and the boat seems really fun but I realize how quick they can get "small".

SHOULD I BUY IT GUYS?!?!?! IM EXCITED

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/kicker15L7/?action=view&current=MOV03752.flv

Here is a video of it.....

3k....dude,...JUMP ALL OVER IT...had 4 people in it, no problem, boat had no problem, seats can be fixed later........BUY IT...:cheers:

If it started fine and you liked the way it rode, 3K is a decent price. I would still put the $15 compression tester on it before I bought it. But saying this, I didn't do that when I bought mine...:ack:

If you like it and you think the price is reasonable, anything else can be worked out later...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back