Hydro-Turf or Black Tip??

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup same exact thing happened to 3 sets I bought. The corners start to peel up slowly and then the rest will pull right off. I am very disguisted with them.

How long did you have them on? Assuming cleaned with acetone, used a roller for pressure and let sit for 12-24 hours? Hope my set does not start to peel as well!

They were on for about 6 months, they came off the very first time that they saw the water. The seadoo was covered when not in use. I of course had cleaned the area with acetone. If you check out my build threads you will see I go a little over board.

So now I am going to buy the good brand, I am ordering some 2-toned mats tonight.

Good thing I decided to with HydroTurf with the 3M option... Really hope this doesn't happen to me!

I installed my Black Tip mats a few weeks ago and have had the ski out about 6 times. I do not have any peeling yet and will post if it does happen. I do dry the ski and footwell after every trip though so there is no sitting water on the mats so not sure if that will make a difference or not.

my bt has been on almost 1 1/2 years, only issue i had is when i fill ski up with fuel, and it kicked back gas, well, it only took seconds to dissolve glue, flushed at gas station with water, took out all day that day and the left one, peeled back like 8 inches or so, so, re cleaned and reglued with contact cement -- it has happened before with me on another ski, and that ski had hydro on it, so, now when i fill up with gas, i pour about a gallon of water in footwell and fill it slow with a rag under nozzle, -- no more issues, btw, ive done it like 3 times before.... gas is not traction mats friend at all -- either brand --- also, the old way of installing mats -- with a can of pressure sensitive adhesive is the best, a little harder to work with, but, when you apply adhesive to mats and the hull and let partially dry as instructions say, its on there, like putting on a Formica counter top -- lol

I've had my Black Tip mats on since last spring (2012.) No peeling except I did lose one of the oval shaped Black Tip logos. It wasn't the adhesive that gave out. There was a very thin part of the logo still stuck to the footwell. Kinda like it pealed off the rest of the oval shaped logo. I called and WCSS sent me out a pair of new ones.

Other than that, I've been happy with the BTs.

I was wondering if anyone knew why blacktip has such a strangely limited color selection. It's like they just picked 15 random colors and thats all they offer?! I was leaning toward blacktip until I saw this. Now I'm pretty sure I'm getting the 2 tone HT mats even though they warned that the colors i want have a tendency to fade...any feedback on that statement would be helpful

Thanks

I've had my Black Tip mats on since last spring (2012.) No peeling except I did lose one of the oval shaped Black Tip logos. It wasn't the adhesive that gave out. There was a very thin part of the logo still stuck to the footwell. Kinda like it pealed off the rest of the oval shaped logo. I called and WCSS sent me out a pair of new ones.

Other than that, I've been happy with the BTs.

thanks for this tip ! when I installed mine, the garage ate the oval disk, I have no clue what happened to it, i'm going to call WCSS now.

ps.. I haven't forgotten about your cover, i'm riding saturday with the guy and i'll inspect it and take it home if it looks good then get in contact with you. We have a new boat in the family so the ski's have been resting in the garage for the last two weeks so I haven't had a chance to get together with him.

back on track, surprised people have had issues with the BT adhesive not holding, I installed mine roughly in August, they get very wet on every ride, i've put 50 hours on the ski in 3 months, they and also sit submerged in water for stretches due to the hull design, and i've had ZERO peeling.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of mine on the XP lifted, I called wcss and three tries later I got the right one and it's been spot on ever since. I'll probably try the ht 2 tones on the next build. Guess I got some extras now.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

For you guys that had issues with your BT mats, did you call them about the lifting issues? What was their response? Just wondering if they are standing behind their product, or just putting blame to the installation.

Yep, called, not issue whatsoever. They were very nice about it. The one girl must not have understood which piece I wanted so I ended up with 2 shipments of the wrong side, then the second girl got it right, she emailed me a pic, I circled the one i wanted and shipped it out. All free of charge. I even posted pics of my finished turf on PWCtoday for a free Tshirt from Btip, which never came to fruition, well while I had the second girl on the phone I asked about it. She said they were no longer running that promo, but since I have had some issues with getting the correct replacement piece she would throw one in the box. They did question it and to be honest I think it was leftover buffing compound in the footwell that sunk mine. Before I put it back on I wire brushed the footwell, then it it again with my PPG wax and grease remover and installed it in the blazing summer sun.

Ive always used Hydroturf on my personal skis, and Ive always been a fan of using contact adhesive vs. the PSA backed stuff. It does take a heck of alot longer putting down masking tape, tracing with a knife, etc but mine havent budged or needed repairs going on 6 years.

Saying that, I have been buying the BT black friday deals for flipper skis the past 2 years. Here are my thoughts...

The only ones worth buying from them is the ribbed style. All the other ones are hard and hardly give you any grip.

Their color selection is lacking.

Their logo backing blows.

The 2 HX sets im doing the back piece wasnt even close to cut right. Took 30 mins to trim to make it look correct.

But when price is the priority and they are 50% off, they are alright.

The seat covers arent all that great either; god do they suck at getting that logo on there at the right angle and matching on both sides?? Not a chance.

For you guys that had issues with your BT mats, did you call them about the lifting issues? What was their response? Just wondering if they are standing behind their product, or just putting blame to the installation.

actually SBT/WCSS at least, whether it be BT products, or one of their many other items, has always been excellent about return/exhange/product issues, whats funny is the frequency of the issues. I just shared an email with a friend that order's a ton of stuff from them and he specifically mentioned that 1) they are great at resolving issues, and 2) they have far too many issues. (but at least they are great about it) LOL. sad but true, but at least they ARE backing up their product.

I called them about my missing logo and it took literally 15 seconds on the phone, gave them account #, and they said they'll immediately send them out, no questions, comments or complaints. So I can't fault them for that in any way.

I'm glad to hear that at very least they are standing behind their product and they seem to be looking after their customers that have had issues. As far as the mats go, it seems to me they are catering to a slightly cheaper market with a product to suit that market. In this scenario, in most cases, customer service and support also suffers.

Agreed....there has been two problems that SBT ever turned their backs on I have read about and would not admit a problem.

Their oil shaft for the 787 motors...they were notorious for sheering off the tabs and failing. They never admitted a problem and claimed they were OEM even though people had posted pictures showing they werent.

Their claim that 8 and 9 tooth starters for the 787s are the same. The problem there is the flywheel is the same, but is worn in a certain way with its starter. When you use the other one, they grind and pop out for a while as they are remeshing. You add to that the soft cheap chinese metal shafts, and they would frequently break off.

I have seen all sorts of issues with motors too, they will resleeve a bad nikasil cylinder with an iron one, ports not lining up, etc. I guess a customer always has the option of paying more and getting it done somewhere else though...

ok so I like the turf but my oval that has the blacktip logo in it has already come up so I guess I will be calling to get another one

ok so I like the turf but my oval that has the blacktip logo in it has already come up so I guess I will be calling to get another one

Like I posted last summer, mine came off and I called Watercraft Superstore and they sent out a pair of new ones. I only needed one but I've got a spare in case another one comes off. Hopefully these new ones are better than the originals that came with our mats.

Like I posted last summer, mine came off and I called Watercraft Superstore and they sent out a pair of new ones. I only needed one but I've got a spare in case another one comes off. Hopefully these new ones are better than the originals that came with our mats.

Ya I'm gonna call them Monday to get one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back