Hull Question - GTI vs S3 for lake riding

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

itBurns46

Hello everyone, new to the forum and have been away from PWC's for about 10 years now, but looking to come back probably next Spring.

I recently sold my motorcycle, so now being "toy-less", my wife and I have been talking about getting something fun for us to do together during the summer months, and we both have enjoyed watercrafts so this is the route we are expecting to go.

I've been doing some looking on Sea-Doo's website, and seem to be gearing towards either the GTI SE or the GTR 230, but after reading about the different hulls, I'm wondering if I should be looking at the GTX 155?

Basically, we'll mainly be riding on Sacandaga Lake here in New York. It's a pretty busy lake on weekends, so the water is usually a bit rough, which is when we'd primarily be riding.

I read that the S3 hull is designed more for carving rough wake, and can't help but wonder if we wouldn't be satisfied with the GTI hull design that both the GTI SE and the GTR 230 use:willy_nilly:

My concern stems from past experiences, and I know that hulls have changed, but I also know a hull would determine whether or not I enjoy riding.

I had a 1998 Sea-Doo GTX back then, and loved the way it rode. My uncle then bought a, I believe 2002 Sea-Doo GTI (as pictured) which must've had a different newer hull, and it was terrible. Any slight wave that you hit would send water spraying over the front into the riders face, making riding very unpleasant in anything but calm water.
27864_128470887171839_2080067_n.jpg

And so for that reason, I was looking for some opinions on the current GTI hull and how well it does in rougher water, and opinions on the S3 hull compared to the GTI hull and what you personally think we'd enjoy more.

Thank you!

I have a 2011 GTI LTD 155. I ride on Lakes, as well. A number of guys in our ride group have the GTX, with Suspension, without Suspension, supercharged and not. Here's what I know: the GTX "carves", the GTI slides; think drifting in a car, but not so drastic. If I nose down with the VTS in 1 to, maybe, 2 foot chop, I can stay seated and maintain 35 mph. Higher speeds or bigger chop, I think the S3 handles it better without knocking you around. Lower than that, the GTI seems to ride more on plane and it is extremely comfortable. I never get wet unless you are into a quartering wind and the waves / chop start showing white caps.

i never rode a newer gtx 155 but do own a 2015 gti130, use to own a 97 and 98 gsx and the lake i ride at is fairly busy and has moderate/heavy chop. on those busy days my gsx would beat the heck out of me and was hard to ride above 35 mph, with the gti 130 i can blaze through no problem as long as i read the boaters wakes all is well, one of the reasons i opted for the gti is because i wanted a more playful ride and be able to slide and do spins. it does carve really well but to get it to loose grip and spin requires body language which to me makes it fun. it all depends on water conditions and what you want in a ride. if you don't care to play around just like to mostly cruise, then the gtx may be the one. the gtx has a deeper v hull and is made to cut though chop = cushy ride. the gti hull is a good ride too but the gtx is better at it in chop

I cannot give an educated opinion on the S3 hull due to very little experience on one. However, my 2016 GTR215 uses the GTI hull and I've got 25 hours with it. I ride on everything from a lake with calm water to West Bay in Panama City and about two hours in the Gulf.

West Bay would likely be the experience I've had that you would find on your busy lake. Moderate chop due to traffic and wind as well as multiple wakes created by everything from other ski's to small, 19-24' Bayliners to 50+ foot cabin cruisers and recreational fishing vessels on up to commercial shrimp/fishing trawlers to tugs pushing barges.

As mentioned above, if you have a quartering headwind with heavy chop, you will get a small amount of spray coming over the front at irregular times. Just slightly changing my heading and trimming to bow up a little with the VTS cures that. Below 30mph, the ride isn't very comfortable in such water. Above 40mph and you will get a work out and you wife likely won't like it as much as you do. With two people on, my wife and I, ranging between 30-40mph is fairly comfortable as long as I either avoid large wakes or, doing 32-35, hit them at a 45° angle. Any slower with two people and you're likely to experience one or both of you coming off the machine. Much faster and you're likely to get some good air and a pissed off wife. LOL! Don't bother asking me how I know THAT!

The VTS makes this GTR215 SO much better to ride than the last ski I had back 10 years ago. I have literally traveled over 50 miles either single riding or 2 up with my wife and neither one of us have a drop of water get on us. But if we get hot, then I can do a couple of quick, hard turns with my wife hugging onto me at 30mph and get us both drenched and cooled off. Time on the GTI hull is going to give you the experience you need to adjust your riding style to your desired result. You can stay completely dry or, get yourself drenched all with great stability. This GTR 215 handles moderate chop very well without beating you up too much. With two people on, it's an even more comfortable ride in those conditions. However, be warned. Quick turns at speeds below 28-ish MPH with two people can be tricky. If you both lean too hard into the turn, you'll both be swimming. Never had that happen with my wife and I on, me (245lbs) and her (130), but with me and my son (240ish) as well with my friends son (180ish), doing a hard turn at around 27mph with both of us leaning caused the ski to wallow so hard in the turn, both of us were dumped off the ski.

West Bay would likely be the experience I've had that you would find on your busy lake. Moderate chop due to traffic and wind as well as multiple wakes created by everything from other ski's to small, 19-24' Bayliners to 50+ foot cabin cruisers and recreational fishing vessels.

Thank you Hawk, that is exactly what the lake is like.

Sounds like the GTI hull is similar to how I remember my late-90s GTX, and is exactly what I'm looking for. I feel the GTX 155 is a bit more than what I am looking to spend, and am more inclined to stick with either the GTI SE, or, if the wife allows it, go with the GTR 230.

It sucks that we don't have any place around here that we can actually get a feel for each watercraft so it's kind of like a guessing game on which would fit our needs and wants the most, so I appreciate the help to all the above posters.

Thank you Hawk, that is exactly what the lake is like.

Sounds like the GTI hull is similar to how I remember my late-90s GTX, and is exactly what I'm looking for. I feel the GTX 155 is a bit more than what I am looking to spend, and am more inclined to stick with either the GTI SE, or, if the wife allows it, go with the GTR 230.

It sucks that we don't have any place around here that we can actually get a feel for each watercraft so it's kind of like a guessing game on which would fit our needs and wants the most, so I appreciate the help to all the above posters.

You're welcome my jet-ski brother! I'm going out to St. Andrews State Park tomorrow to hit the Gulf and do some jumping. Ill let you know how that goes. The last time I was out there, it made me pretty miserable. But that was with Hurricane Hermine approaching. Too much traffic with people not obeying the "rules of the road" for me to have fun. I take meticulous care of my things. Not everyone does and it shows in the near lake area.

Not going out today. I'm sick. Dammit! Allergies have made me miserable today. I WILL be going out there at some point this week and using my GoPro to show how little water gets on you even when in the Gulf with tidal waves.

I just got a 2009 RXT 255 IS off of ebay for $4050. Sellers rep was a little less to be desired but amazingly the ski has zero issues and even recently had the supercharger rebuilt etc... So I was lucky. I mainly ride on the Chesapeake Bay and I was amazed how well this ski went through the rough water and how fast I was able to travel. I was so far ahead of my friends that were getting pounded by the waves. The best part was I was also dry. No spray coming up at me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back