How well is That M2 wear ring Jbweld Holding up??? Wear Ring suggestions

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

koby6587

Hey im looking for some tools or will be making the 1 13/16 socket tool for impeller nut. I see that the tool is expensive and my local mercury marina does not have one. I checked it out because of a little sluggish on starts with boat half loaded. And regular maintenance.. i have some pictures i dont mean to double post but im thinking of doing the jb weld and doing the impeller at impros.com but wanted to see how the people that have done jb weld how it has held up? thanks
seadoo.jpg2012-04-06_19-00-56_533.jpg2012-04-06_19-01-16_952.jpg2012-04-06_19-01-35_463.jpg

p.s there were never any good photos of finished product filling the voids in with jb weld i searched the forum hardcore.... also not any follow ups to see if it worked or worked for a little while and just fell apart. thanks the replace ment parts are sky high for these m2 sportjet components

thanks for your time

Last edited by a moderator:
MORE PICTURES

38.jpg

39.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good job with the photos. I have seen other threads indicating the JB Weld worked just fine. Give it a search and good luck.

so this is what i found

PROCESS
Here is what I did...
Posted on May 6,2010 7:06:58 AM GMT Mercury - Maintenance
rlhartman
# of posts:1547

I didn't sand off the paint. I was only interested in fixing the areas that had been worn away, so if the paint was still present there wasn't much dimensional change to worry about.

I used standard JBWeld, not JBKwik, so I'd have more time to work with the material.

I mixed up the JBWeld, they applied it with the popsicle-stick-like things that you can get from an auto body supply store. Actually, they're more like tongue depressors - wider than popsicle sticks. They have straight edges and won't scratch the existing wear ring nor its paint.

I applied the JBWeld in doses large enough to cover the affected patches. I then spread it into a thin layer, working the stick in several directions. Nevertheless, when it cured I had some "waves" in the repair material. So I took some 600 grit emery paper and smoothed the JBWelded spots until they looked and felt smooth and consistent with the surrounding wear ring surfaces. This resulted in very minor scratching in what had earlier been a perfectly smooth and flat surface, but the paint smoothed everything out nicely.

I then cleaned the entire wear ring surface with brake cleaner (no residue) and painted it with Mercury's OEM enamel paint. Lots and lots of very light coats.

I'm pretty happy with the result. The enamel is not as glossy as the original paint; I don't care about the appearance but thought it was the same as the original paint. I was really careful not to apply the coats too thickly so I'm confident it's not an indication of improper curing.

INTEGRITY

I, like smokingcrator, added jbweld to my wear ring during the off season. It worked incredibly. I had several deep gouges and many scratches. A whole season later, i am happy to report is still intact. I noticed better holeshot throughout the season, even at the end of the season. The real difference was noticed when loaded up with 6 adults plus kids (fully loaded 9 capacity). The year prior getting on plane was noticably slow (probably 10 seconds). Much improved now.

Such a cheap and easy fix. DO IT. You wont regret it.

MESSAGE FROM IMPROS ON WHAT THEY DO!!!

RECIEVED TODAY ON POSTED DATE

Hi Koby,
Yes we can repair the impeller, and sleeve the wear ring with a stainless steel insert. This is a much better option than going to another OEM wear ring with the aluminum liner. That one would simply become damaged again, where the stainless is much more durable.
Cost to machine your pump and insert wear ring is $450.00.
Typical repair on an M2 impeller is approx.. $100.00

Thank you

David

Impros

I'd do the JB weld on your wear ring first and maybe take a dremel and smooth up the fins on your stator veins. Your impeller doesn't look that bad to me. If the JB and grinding doesn't improve performance enough, then send your impeller to Impros. I think I've read their stainless insert just wears out the impeller faster. Let us know how it turns out.

I agree...i am cheap and would try it myself first...i think those stator veins really need some work too.

I'd do the JB weld on your wear ring first and maybe take a dremel and smooth up the fins on your stator veins. Your impeller doesn't look that bad to me. If the JB and grinding doesn't improve performance enough, then send your impeller to Impros. I think I've read their stainless insert just wears out the impeller faster. Let us know how it turns out.

i missed your post sorry yeah i have a dremel i was going to send it out i dont know if i wanna pay the starting out at $105.00 if you guys think it only needs to get touched up. what do i do? just smooth them out or try to make them equal as i can?? thanks the impeller doesnt look that bad im going to finish the socket tomorrow i went to lowes and bought a 20 dollar 1-13/16 socket so ill have that off tomorrow and see what it looks and feels like.

I think your wear ring turned out good. You may lose a little paint where the impeller rubs down any high spots. I would just use the dremel to smooth out the leading edges of the stator veins.

I think your wear ring turned out good. You may lose a little paint where the impeller rubs down any high spots. I would just use the dremel to smooth out the leading edges of the stator veins.

ok cool thanks for the suggestions i will do that today the impeller does look fine to me to so after i do that ill put back together and refill the fluids and it hopefully should be close enough to new(lol). thanks again for your input i appreciate it!

Koby, have you had a chance to get it back in the water for testing? What kind of resutls did you see?

I had it out once since and i still am not through my first 50/1 fuel mix for my break in period on my boat, so i havent gunned it out right. But it does feel cleaner more responsive and it looks to be holding up just fine, had it out for about 30 mins of run time so far. Got pump and stator fluids changed out with fresh rebuilt motor and wear ring i should be in good shape(knock on wood)

Good to hear the test drive went well. I didn't realize you had rebuilt the motor also. Were you a victim of the oil pump gear failure? Did you just rework the bad cylinder or did you have to do a full top and/or bottom end rebuild. I'm always interested to hear details about people rebuilding their 2.5L Merc motors since I have one. Thanks.

I'm just curious.... And theres probably a logical anwser.... But why are all your progress pics inside a car? Lol.

Good to hear the test drive went well. I didn't realize you had rebuilt the motor also. Were you a victim of the oil pump gear failure? Did you just rework the bad cylinder or did you have to do a full top and/or bottom end rebuild. I'm always interested to hear details about people rebuilding their 2.5L Merc motors since I have one. Thanks.

Hey yes the plastic drive gear wore out I bored one cylinder. 15 over and oversize piston all new rings gaskets and needlebearings with every bit of fluid changed and serviced running strong 3 tanks in now.....

And lol just happened to have camera in the car.:hurray:

Did you measure your clearance between the impeller and wear ring with a feeler gauge before reinstalling? Just curious to see if you did and what you got. I'm redoing my wear ring right now. Nice work by the way.

Did you measure your clearance between the impeller and wear ring with a feeler gauge before reinstalling? Just curious to see if you did and what you got. I'm redoing my wear ring right now. Nice work by the way.

no i had not retested but still performing well im going faster than ever 52mph

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back