NEW to 2000 challenger M2 v6 240 help pulling motor?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

tonytek

Hello everyone from the sunshine state Florida,
ok so here is my story, im not a mechanic but have done engine swaps on car and motorcycles
with that in mind I just got my FIRST BOAT!!! wooooop woooop lol
it's a 2000 seadoo challenger 2000. engine sticker says 2001 240 M2 (i think it was replaced)
the boat looks great just needed some cleaning. The guys said it would need an engine rebuild because he purchased the boat
took it to the lake to run it and 15 mins later the engine shut off and would not start.
he said that a car mechanic briefly looked at it and pulled a plug and it had water.
it's been sitting for a year till I go it.

I got it at a good price and after looking at the motor I figured it looked straight forward to work on it and I can get it fixed in my garage.
The first thing I checked was the flywheel, it won't move!!! I got a socket to get a little leverage to see if I can get it to move a little but no luck.
I then pulled all plugs and did not see and water. i'm now about to pull one of the heads to see how the cylinders look.
I was also thinking that I could find a complete motor on eBay or fb market but that has not been the case, well I did find one for like $6000 and I said no thanks.
from what im reading to replace the headgasket (i hope that's the issue) you need to pull the motor? or was that for a another type of boat?

can you guy share tips, what to look for...
I wish there was a diy video on this motor but was not able to find one.
any links with videos, parts website please post them below.

greatly appreciate your feedback and advice

Tony, Clermont FL USA

Attachments

• IMG_7992.png
    IMG_7992.png
    2 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7993.png
    IMG_7993.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7994.png
    IMG_7994.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 10
and here we go, 1st update.
I took both covers off to see the piston and they don't look bad (i think) no type of debris one had a little surface rust but came off. I will continue later.
for some reason I thought this had a metal bracket but its only a rubber winning gasket hummmm.

Attachments

• IMG_8019 2.png
    IMG_8019 2.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 10
can someone please confirm that at this point I will have to take the entire motor off the boat to get to the pistons and rods?????
thanks

can someone please confirm that at this point I will have to take the entire motor off the boat to get to the pistons and rods?????
thanks
I have the exact same boat and only around the corner from you in FL. LOL

I just went through this same issue. I pulled the heads the block and pistons looked good from the top but I still could not get the engine to move. I ended up pulling the engine out of the boat and found out that the engine had water sitting in the lower end and that had rusted/seized the rods to the crank and did some minor damage to cylinder 6.

I recommend getting a flywheel puller with the eye bolt hook and pull the engine out of the boat.

Rich

I have the exact same boat and only around the corner from you in FL. LOL

I just went through this same issue. I pulled the heads the block and pistons looked good from the top but I still could not get the engine to move. I ended up pulling the engine out of the boat and found out that the engine had water sitting in the lower end and that had rusted/seized the rods to the crank and did some minor damage to cylinder 6.

I recommend getting a flywheel puller with the eye bolt hook and pull the engine out of the boat.

Rich
Good info thanks, I just need to find out how to pull the engine,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back