How to build a wood PWC stand. It's that time or the year

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've built quite a few wooden dolleys using those plans. Works great. Buy the casters online or at harbor freight to save money.

just bought my materials and am starting the cuts. one one picture it says to space evenly does anyone know what's best here?

Having a simple (and cheap) mind I am trying this one.

Upside: cheap (furniture carts regularly on sale at HF in 2 sizes), simple, quick, CG low so less tippy

downside: may be too low to work on ski comfortably, load/unload to/from trailer may be a little difficult

safety/embarrassment note: tie ski to cart before moving or move with rope attached to cart (not to admit I ever have had a ski slip off a cart)

to be more elegant, angle cut the 4x4 to match hull

LowCart2a.jpgLowCart4a.jpg

I have seen a few like that on eBay for about same price up to $200+ but I think to do it for under $75 saving about $100 with shipping is good savings!

I wish I had seen this before starting mine.. this looks a little narrow though.

This one is on the smaller furniture mover, forgot to mention that; with the larger base you have several more widths depending on how you mount your 4x4s.

Seems to me that each cart is rated for 1000 pounds so just the cost of wheels more than justifies the cost of the 4-wheel cart.

If you go this route, I recommend squirting the spray can of lithium grease into the bearings and working it in, the default grease is kinda lacking.

Last edited by a moderator:
somewhere i once saw plans for building a stand out of pvc. Seemed like an inexpensive route to go, not sure on stability, i remember people saying they had to fill their pipes with Expand-a-foam.

Pvc will cost more than wood.

Google twinturbomustang bomb proof stand. It's the one and only stand you'll need. They cost me roughly $45 to build. I have 3 or 4 of them. The harbor freight casters are the most expensive part of the build. You'll find a cut list pdf. I can cut and assemble one in under an hour.

Here is mine:

http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?86415-I-hope-this-will-do-the-job-(Sea-Doo-stand)

Tested it last week week with a 2-stroke and even with a 4 tec RXT 260 2015. I made the RXT one one foot longer than the 2 stroke one (instead of purchasing 8 feet 4x4 I took the 10 feet ones). Make sure your coasters can withstand the total weight. I also strongly recommend four coasters with brakes (not only two) because if you use a winch to pull the ski onto the stand, brakes help greatly.

Benji.

I want to have 3 ski's. With two of the wooden stands. I can put the running one on a stand. Then transfer the dead one to a stand. Then place the good one on the 2 place trailer. Now I have two runners to take to the Lake! No more whining! get a single trailer and all 3 runners can go with another tow vehicle. If all are good to play!

I have two skis on a trailer in the driveway and want to put them on dollies. I haven't got a crane and I haven't got 3 strong men. In order to get them off the trailer, I might have to construct a frame and lift them up with a come-along, and then pull the trailer out, and then set them down on dollies. Both in the air at the same time.

What are the lifting/anchor points for Seadoos? Or do they use cargo straps? Is there anywhere on the body that is better or worse to lift from? They're about 550 lbs., I think, and that's a lot of weight to focus on a weak spot on the fiberglass/plastic body. So I'm wondering how the option of lifting them works.

three 2x4x8's, four home depot locking casters, costs around $40 to make.The first ones I made a few years ago, still as strong as the day I made them.
A pic of the cart I made.. (I've actually got about 20 of them currently)
20150416_100337.jpg

And the cart holding an 800lb ski (I dont own a Sea Doo that heavy)
IMG_0133.jpg

The bunks are 5' long, the base is 4' long, 6" uprights cut at 22.5 degrees, and I think about 20" wide.

not to derail the wood/build portion of the thread but i'll parachute in real quick.

Back in the day I had a wooden one, was a little flimsy but my ski's were small, then upgraded to an aquacart and eventually sold that when I sold my xp.

My absolutely favorite stand is sbt's shop cart, it doesn't cost much more than a wood build, takes about 15 minutes to assemble, is lighter, stackable, and sturdy as hell. I had 3 of these at one time but people that come to my garage to buy other stuff keep buying them off me so now i'm down to 1 sbt cart and 1 heavy duty. < access to discounts doesn't hurt either.

61.jpg

I made a transfer to cart test last week using the winch from my ATV:

1. ATV in the back.
2. In front of the ATV is the cart with the wheels locked.
3. In front of the cart is my trailer with the ski on (and trailer locked in place by car).
4. Then I simply winch the ski backwards until it slide on the cart.

Took me 15 minutes total. So a back winch is adequate. No need for a ceiling winch.

Benji.

I made a transfer to cart test last week using the winch from my ATV:

1. ATV in the back.
2. In front of the ATV is the cart with the wheels locked.
3. In front of the cart is my trailer with the ski on (and trailer locked in place by car).
4. Then I simply winch the ski backwards until it slide on the cart.

Took me 15 minutes total. So a back winch is adequate. No need for a ceiling winch.

Benji.

I do the same with a wall winch, its a little slow but does the trick, one of these day's i'll rig a ceiling pully for lifting engines, dam near busted a nut lifting a yamaha 1200 out over the weekend.

I get carts, I will get a hoist. Double one of my 2 x 6 joists in the garage and I am good to go. I have seen straps that hook on the edges of ski's to pick them up. An electric hoist should not be real expensive. My son and I do enough auto repairs. The first guy that year will buy our hoist. Then we can use it for engine changes too! I have a few broken off shovel handles. Bet, they would make great tongues for carts. To move them around.

About width, mine is 24 inch wide. Since it is made of 4x4 (3.5 inches), this means that the inside of the cart is 17 inches. Plenty and not tipping. If you make it larger, you have to make it deeper because the keel will be deeper inside the stand.

Benji.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back