DIY Adding a drain plug to Seadoo HX on the port (left) side

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

JPX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Hello everyone.:seeya: It has been a long time since I cruised this most awesome seadooforum on the internet. So I figured including a useful bit of advice seemed appropriate penance for my lack of participation.

Today's adventure is adding a second drain plug to the HX hull. This applies to the 1995-1997 HXs which only had a starboard side drain plug.

I wanted to include the second drain plug for years. The GTX and GS(X) hulls have dual drain plugs. But when I am cleaning out the HX, I have to do some additional work to drain the water on the rear left (port aft) side of the hull. A second drain plug takes care of that.

And yes - it requires drilling a hole in a perfectly good fiberglass hull. I already got over this fear when I installed the bilge pump and outlet on the HX.

Steps:
1. Obtain the drain plug assembly. There is no shortage of part sources on the web for this assembly. Part# 292000187 + rubber gasket part#293250030.
2. The assembly won't include stainless steel screws - I used oval head 10x3/4s from a local hardware store. The BRP part number is #211000021 for a 10x7/8.
3. Mark location on the port side to match the starboard side
4. Drill a pilot hole in the center of the drain plug location - this makes centering the big hole saw easier
5. Whip out the hole saw. These come in kits from cheapo places like HarborFreight.

6. Carefully drill out the hole - make sure you are drilling perpendicular to the hull face. Note that the drill bit will crash into the ride plates's stainless steel bolt on the other side when it punching through the fiberglass.
7. Dry fit the drain plug assembly in the new hole.
8. Drill pilot holes of the screws using the drain plug assembly as the template
9. Apply waterproof silicone sealant

10. Screw the drain plug assembly to the hull, wipe up excess sealant and let dry for 24 hours.

Now you can drain your HX thoroughly like the other Seadoos!:)

JPX! Great to see you around again. Been almost 2 years since your last post. As always great post with pictures. For those who don't know JPX he was one of our first moderators back in 07!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back