How much grease do you put in your hubs?

How much grease in your hubs?

• Total voters
Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

scooper77515

freebie fixer
Premium Member
When you do a hub overhaul on your trailer, how much grease do you typically use? This is for use with dust caps, not bearing buddies. If you use a different amount with bearing buddies and wish to share, post in thread, please.

You don't want any air space in the hubs. If they are full... it's harder for water to get into them.

I pump a little more in every once in a while to make sure its full.
Somehow whatever you put in disappears (see the thread below "What happens to the grease").
Grease gun is real easy to use but bearings are much harder to replace.

Usually once a year Ill pull down the hubs and clean, repack bearings, reinstall and then fit my bearing buddies on and pump them up and depending on the amount of travel maybe refill bearing buddies once every 3 months. It ends up with grease right through from outer bearing to the inner and then on long trips where the grease heats up it oozes out and gets flicked up on the underside of the hull but thats not a problem.

Just make sure you pack the bearings properly on refitment, there is a very easy way by hand to get it full. I know you can also buy bearing packing things that you put your grease gun on to acheive the same as hand packing.

I used to work in a machine shop. We hand packed bearings up to 12" in diameter. We repaired big centrifugal vacuum pumps and compressors.

I've seen to many people blow out the grease seals using bearing buddies. I just pack them like normal bearing and check them periodically. While it is true that filled hubs won't let in water but they also don't let the heat out on long trips. It's a personal choice as to what your comfortable with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back