how much do the gas tanks hold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed T

Just bought my 96 GTX about 8 months ago and took it out 4 times. it seems to burn a lot of gas. I don't know how much it holds or how much is in reserve if I was to turn it on. it burns about 7 gal. in 2 hours. I was going to buy a 2 gal can and carry it also. all the cans I can find have spouts that need to have a spring compressed to put the gas in. is this possible as the filler neck seems to go in horizontally for a ways? it seems you cannot buy a regular gas can anymore. the lake is big and marinas are many miles apart. so my questions are how much does the tanks hold and can you buy a gas can without the spring thing? I really don't want to run out of gas.

15 gallons. not sure what the reserve is. depending how it is ridden 7 gal for 2 hrs is about right.
i think it eats around 10 gal an hr wot. yep the new gas can nozzles suck big time. get one from a power sports place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I think we started the "Clean Air" gas can thing here. Thank CARB for that.

BTW: I have spilled more gas since those damn clean air cans came out than I ever did with the old ones.

What we do is buy a "Utility" jug from Scribner or VP racing fuel and add a clear hose and 1/2" cap to transport our "Utility" fluids from the "Store" to our "Toys".:cool:

I thought I was the only one who hated those freaking things. I spill gas EVERYWHERE now.

Half the time on purpose I get so pissed. Anyway, if i had the time I'm sure I could rig them.

I ended up spilling gas all over the back of my freaking car and it smells so bad.

Anyways the 951 burns 15 GPH wide open. But I usually get 4 hours of good riding from a 15 gallon tank.

Which works out to just over 60 miles of range. Always safe to fill the tank before you head out. Not like a car where you pull over to the shoulder!

correct, the 96 GTX holds 15 gallons....about 13 on reg and about 2 on the reserve setting.

According to seadoosource.com it uses 11.7 gal per hr at WOT, therefore it's about 1.28 hrs on a tank at Wide Open Throttle (WOT).......

....is there any other speed than WOT :) ?

yip, my largest complaint about riding PWC's has always been fuel economy and range issues, however over the years I have learned to coordinate the ride plans around whoever has the most limited range in my group, I used to have the shortest range but now I have one of the longest because I switched to 4 stroke, but I remember how my buddies used to be understanding of my needs when I had the smallest tank.

a small handheld GPS, and some seat time will help you determine how far and long you can go and still have a comfortable amount of fuel left for the return to the ramp, I personally prefer to get back to the ramp with at least a couple gallons left so I know i had a little wiggle room, but i've definitely been 5 miles away and beeping...(not the most comfortable feeling)

every rider seems to have a little bit different maximum range due to ride style, water conditions, rider weight etc, but there is really only so much you can do. If you want to maximize your range avoid long WOT pulls and pegging the throttle WOT from a stand still. You can also hook up a gas/cooler rack for the back of the ski to carry 2 or 5 gallons and add a few miles to your range.

re: the dam new fuel nozzles, I hate them too, fortunately I saved all my old fuel tanks and just swapped the nozzles over, one suggestion is to keep an eye out at local garage sales for $1 gas cans, I stumbled across a couple and bought them just for the nozzles....

Last edited by a moderator:
Look at yard sales or flea markets for old gas cans or you can search "Eagle 5 gallon metal gas can" which is also available at lowes. They work good for me.

Just had to deal with one of those new cans a couple of weeks ago, when I didn't listen to my car dinging at me. I really really, really hate those things. I was just lucky to have another older style nozzle when I got home. I still have the new one and was thinking that there has to be a way to remove that spring. Been too cold out to mess with it, but we're supposed to be in the 40s tomorrow, so might try it tomorrow.

The range on a Seadoo always seems a bit short to me, well, unless you're out in the 45 degree October air, trying to run that last 1/2 gallon out of the tank so you can work on it over the winter. THEN, it seems to have an endless reserve tank. lol

Just had to deal with one of those new cans a couple of weeks ago, when I didn't listen to my car dinging at me. I really really, really hate those things. I was just lucky to have another older style nozzle when I got home. I still have the new one and was thinking that there has to be a way to remove that spring. Been too cold out to mess with it, but we're supposed to be in the 40s tomorrow, so might try it tomorrow.

The range on a Seadoo always seems a bit short to me, well, unless you're out in the 45 degree October air, trying to run that last 1/2 gallon out of the tank so you can work on it over the winter. THEN, it seems to have an endless reserve tank. lol

lmao....I have to agree with you there, back in mid December I knew due to a planned trip and some scheduling conflicts which were going to keep me off the water for 3 weeks, so I wanted to drain both of my tanks as far as possible. I ran a 3 mile stretch back and forth for what seemed like an eternity trying to get to the bottom. I wish I had my gps with me that day since it was my best opportunity to see just how far I could go in an extreme distance situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back