How do you get to these?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

H€PHÆ$TU$

How on Earth do you get to the back side of these for repair / replacement?

Attachments

• 20191017_233003.jpg
    20191017_233003.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 58
So on my Challenger 1800 I just unscrewed them from the top of the boat. I think there is a threaded collar or a backing that is glassed in. I took mine out and painted them and re-inserted them no problem; except the paint I used quickly flaked off.

I've replaced my cleats. (The PO of my boat removed the factory ones and glassed over them for some reason.) I just used togglers to fasten them.

Now my main issue is the light. Mine is completely corroded. All 3 screws are basically dust. I think I may have to drill through them and use togglers there as well.

So the way they tended to do the 90s ones from what I have seen is they would glue a piece of aluminum to the underside of the hull, drill mounting holes through the hull and aluminum, and there's your mount.
On my parts boat a lot of these metal backing plates have come unglued, this happened with the bow light backing plate as well. Yes you can thread things like this into fiberglass ok but there's a reason they don't do this from the factory so I try not to do it. I sure would not trust a cleat threaded into fiberglass only!

Don't remember for sure about the bow light but the cleats don't have nuts on them. I think mine were fairly large Allen screws.... and they were really in there. Let me know if you need a couple I'm sure I have some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back