High performance or Premium Gear Oil.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

UKGlenn

Hi. I have been following SO annual service who asks for High performance gear oil but I went and bought Premium Gear oil as it is in the Mercury specs.
What do you use?
Thanks.

Hi. I have been following Sj's annual service who asks for High performance gear oil but I went and bought Premium Gear oil as it is in the Mercury specs.
What do you use? Does it matter if I've taken High out and put premium in?
Thanks.

The Merc spec for the Sportjet is the High Performance. (not the premium) You can use what you want... and I generally don't push a particular oil over another... but the Mercury oil will keep any water that gets past the seals in suspension better than a regular gear oil. AND... the "Premium" oil doesn't have the shear strength that the sportjet needs.

SO... with the engine oil... I say "Any good TC-w3". For the Rotax... I say... "any good API-tc oil"... but in this case... I haven't found anything equivalent to the "Premium". Yes, it's expensive... but you only need a little more than a quart... so it's not a big deal to buy the right thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back