-- Help -- Rope Caught in Intake -- Help --

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

L3GiiTCookie

Hello everyone, im an idiot! So yesterday I was out on the water for the second day after buying my brand new 2012 GTI SE 155 Jet Ski. My friends and I were out on the water and I told my friend that was spotting for the other while tubing to watch out for the rope so it doesn't go under the boat. I was informed when we were getting the run down of the machine that that was the biggest problem most people had when starting off. So my friend wasn't watching and we were in idol and the rope got under the Jet Ski and I thought I have to shut this off so it doesn't go in the intake. So as im going to shut off the Jet Ski the engine shuts off. We have to get towed to the ramp and we take it out of the water, and sure enough the rope is in the intake. I thought it just went up the intake and down until we brought the Jet Ski home. When I looked under it I saw that the rope kept looping over a bar (which I figured out later was the Impeller). My dad wants to take it to the shop but im pretty confident (after reading online) that I could do it myself. People have said to take the spark plugs out to release the pressure, Im not sure where the spark plugs are nor how to remove them. I was wondering if I could cut the rope and start pulling it out. I don't want to damage anything on the actual jet ski. My dad is worried because someone told him the while removing it that the jet ski might start up accidently, which i thought was stupid (but im not sure). I have some pictures of what the jet ski looks like and the intake and impeller. Any help would be awesome! Do you think I should take it to the store or try to get it out, and if get it out how should I go by doing so. Thanks for all your help,

Jason.
------------------
Pictures
------------------
375.jpg

376.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good grief.....lol

Ah well...ain't seen one that bad before...heh.

Pull the pump....then get under the ski with a box cutter......have fun!

First, you need to get the lingo straight. A Jet Ski is made by Kawasaki. You don't own one of those, you own a Sea Doo, made by BRP. It's a Sea Doo, not a Jet Ski.

Start cutting and pulling. You'll get it. I would definitely get your spotter buddy to help if he ever expects to ride again, though.

Sorry about the lingo, im new to this. I'm going to try this in the morning thanks for all the answers.

And also how do I pull the pump sorry about this still learning >.>

Take the pump out, it'll go sooo much easier and faster once the pump is pulled off the hull! It takes about 30 minutes to remove the jetpump your 1st time... it's not hard, next time you'll only need about 15 minutes to pull it off (and put it back on). You might as well learn how to do it, this won't be the 1st time this sort of thing will happen I promise!

And don't beat yourself up about it, everybody sucks in a ski rope at some point or other there's no getting around it. I've even sucked up a rope that wasn't mine, somebody had left the danged thing out in the lake and I ran over it and spent the next 3 hours paddling back to the docks (couldn't flag down any help, dangit)!

You are hearby initiated into the Jet Propelled Watercraft Club! Welcome! :)

- Michael

ps. Don't worry about the spark plugs, you can figure out where they are later. For this mess, just pull the pump off the back and then slip the rope off the driveshaft (which will stay firmly in the pump tunnel).

pps. Read your owner's manual, you do know that if you tow this watercraft above 5mph it will fill the engine with water right? There are some important things in the owner's manual you need to read! Trust me, it's worth the read!

Regards!

- Michael

Last edited by a moderator:
And also how do I pull the pump sorry about this still learning >.>

There are some linkages on the nozzle, they take a 10mm socket and end-wrench... unbolt them so nothing is connected to the nozzle. You may have a hose at the top of the pump with a hose clamp undo the clamp if so and twist the hose a little so it's loose.... there are then 4 large brass nuts that hold the pump onto the hull (I do not remember the socket size, but you need a deep-well socket and a LONG extension to undo them). Once those 4 bolts are removed the pump should just pull right out. Remove the rope from your driveshaft which will remain in the pump tunnel. Re-install the pump in the reverse order, if the shaft splines don't line up just right turn the pump a little either way till the shaft splines go in right then push the pump back onto the 4 studs that hold it to the hull. Hand tighten all the nuts and re-connect the linkages to the steering nozzle and you should be good to go!

Note that the linkages to the steering nozzle are not tightened down tight, the nuts are self locking and you only snug them down lightly otherwise your steering nozzle will bind.

If you have further questions come back and ask. It's not a difficult procedure, it should take about 30 minutes coming out and 30 minutes going back in the 1st time, much less next time (and there will be a next time!).

- Michael

I have the same rig but it's a 2010. I've sucked up the tow rope twice. I don't think there is any need to pull the pump. It took me no more than 3 minutes with a long serated knife to cut and remove the rope. Just be careful to not cut into the rubber sleeve on your shaft.

Hey, when you said if you tow this watercraft above 5mph it fills the engine with water, does that mean if someone was towing me like 8 mph that my engine is filled with water?

Hey, when you said if you tow this watercraft above 5mph it fills the engine with water, does that mean if someone was towing me like 8 mph that my engine is filled with water?

It's possible. But assuming you have a 4 stroke, IDK the possibility of it happening as in a 2 stroke.
After you remove the rope, remove the plugs and crank it and see if water comes out.

I've always just removed the grate and unwind the rope in one piece...no cutting is usually necessary.....3 times on my nephews Yamaha.

It can, yes. Check your owner's manual but most all the SeaDoo PWC's will start to pump water into the exhaust manifold if you tow them faster than ~5mp... once the exhaust manifold has so much water in it the water will start to pour over into whichever exhaust valve is open in the head, from there it fills up the cylinder and starts seeping slowly down thru the rings into the crankcase. There is a waterline you are supposed to clamp-off if you intend to tow at anything above a crawl.

Again, check your owner's manual for towing instructions it will explain this among other things.

- Michael

But assuming you have a 4 stroke...

It's a 2012 SeaDoo GTI SE... what are the odds it's not a 4-stroke??? LOL!

2-stroke or 4-stroke it doesn't matter once you are pulling it above ~5mph the jetpump will be scooping up water and water pressure will build in the pump forcing the water to start flowing into the exhaust system... but with no exhaust gases to blow the water out of the exhaust manifold it will start to fill with water, then the water will pour into the engine thru the exhaust valves, seeping down past the piston rings into the crankcase. The piston rings are not water-tight, it will seep down thru them so days later there may not be any water left on top of the piston... but it's always safer to remove the plugs and spin the engine over with the starter if in doubt. If the oil on the dipstick turns milky looking then water did make it into the crankcase and it needs an oil and filter change at that point.

- Michael

The newer Sea Doos can be towed up to 15mph and some don't need any hoses pinched off. OP, check your operator's guide for the info for your boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back