Help identifying year Sea-Doo GS

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

SunseekerWishes

I'm trying to identify this Sea-Doo GS. Can anyone tell me what model year it is? Also, looking to get LOA and width specs. The photo is the ski in the garage on my boat, and trying to see what other models will fit in there. I know a 1996 XP will, but trying to see what other options I might have.

Sea Doo GS.jpg

Last two digits of the HIN (Hull Identification Number) will be the model year.

253.jpg

Unfortunately, I have no opportunity to get the HIN. The attached photo is from an old classified listing of my same boat, listed in Europe. It's the only image of the boat I can find with a jet ski, other than a 1996 XP.

I agree on the 2001 GS after looking closely. Which seems to be 106" long, 46" wide. The 2014 Spark is 110" long, and that extra 4" might be a deal breaker....ugh. I guess I won't know until I can try to load one on.

Is there an easy way to remove some trim from a Spark to make it a couple inches shorter?

Looks definitely like a GTI. Even seems to have the same color as mine which may make it a 2003. Are you saying that the Spark won't fit in there?

Benji.

The 2001 GS is 106" long, 46" wide, and 39" tall. This is verified to fit in the garage.

The 1996 XP is 100" long, 41.3" wide, 36.2" tall. This is also verified to fit (but smaller in every dimension).

The 2014 Spark 2up is 110" long, 46" wide, 41" tall. This is not verified to fit.

I'm looking to use the ski I purchase as tender/entertainment for our larger boat, out in fresh water. The ski will always be stored inside the boat (so not easy to perform maintenance more than once monthly or so). It will be used by both amateurs and experienced riders. The amateurs on the 1996 XP I am looking at scares me a bit. Also, I'll probably be the one using it the most, and I'm sorta a big dude (6'3" 220lbs). The XP looks like a ton of fun, but wondering if the combination of maintenance, rider ability, and my size makes it a poor fit. We won't be using the ski for long cruises much, mostly just around the shallows where the main boat is anchored, or quick 10 mile runs up and down the river.

Or is the Spark 2up a better idea, to be more comfortable for two riders (mostly for beach landing/transport), more maintenance friendly, because it's newer, and better gas mileage.

My third option is buying both. The XP is said to be recently overhauled, and in great shape, for $1200 with a trailer. The Spark is freshwater only, and looking to get $3800 without a trailer. I'd sell whichever one I don't like, or keep it in the water (not ideal) next to the boats. I'd prefer not to be out $5000 on this whole endeavor though.

Let me know what you guys think makes the most sense. Just nervous as the season approachs, and I get to test fit the Spark, the XP will be sold.

If it will fit and with your intended use I would go for the spark. I think you will be much happier.

My second choice would be any of the GS family skis, GS, GSI, GSX and GSX Limited. They are easier to board in deep water for 2 people or one larger person are stable and better in rough water and have a 15 Gal gas tank. For ease of maintenance I would go 720 engine it the GS & GSI.

The XP would be my last choice. They are almost impossible to load in deep water with 2 people or 1 large one, are rough in rough water and only have a 9 gal tank. But very fun with 1 person.

The XP would be my last choice. They are almost impossible to load in deep water with 2 people or 1 large one, are rough in rough water and only have a 9 gal tank. But very fun with 1 person.

I never understood why people say that. XPs are super easy to reboard... I've let tons of beginners ride 2 up on my old XP and the only person to EVER have issues reboarding was a complete fatass. He was fat as hell and couldn't balance to save his life hah. I guess thats why they started making skis so big

Thanks for the help guys. My current thinking is to scoop up the 1996 XP with the double trailer it's on for $1200, assuming it's as mint as the guy states it is (looks like it from the pictures), and have a friend that's more mechanically inclined check out the motor to see if it's close to needing a rebuild.

Then, once boat is in the water in April or so, test fit a 2up Spark, if it doesn't fit, try to find the most desirable GS model I can, if the XP proves to be too difficult (or I just want to keep it out of the water and take it around for shenanigans).

So, let's assume Spark doesn't fit, what GS do I want? I'm assuming the 717, 718, and 720 are all materially different. I want the one that will start up easiest and be best for two people to ride for the novice riders.

Nice boat!! For ocean riding I would go with a 96-99 GSX that has a carbed 787 or 951. You'll probably get more hours out of the 787 motor. If you're riding in the ocean with a ski that has an open loop cooling system, make sure you flush all the salt water out before putting the ski up

Nice boat!! For ocean riding I would go with a 96-99 GSX that has a carbed 787 or 951. You'll probably get more hours out of the 787 motor. If you're riding in the ocean with a ski that has an open loop cooling system, make sure you flush all the salt water out before putting the ski up

There's no salt water here in Buffalo, NY. We're all fresh water, and it realistically won't be back in salt water for probably 5+ years (and I might get bored and get a different boat by then). So is a GSX with a 951 ideal in that situation (I like to go fast)?

I never understood why people say that. XPs are super easy to reboard... I've let tons of beginners ride 2 up on my old XP and the only person to EVER have issues reboarding was a complete fatass. He was fat as hell and couldn't balance to save his life hah. I guess thats why they started making skis so big

I have never had a problem at 6'3" 200lbs but have seen lots of beginners and friends struggle on the XP. If you are athletic and have good balance they are fine but I have seen lots of novices roll them over and over. Depends on the rider.

Your best bet is search tempest and Craig's list. Also doesn't hurt to drive around and look for skis left out in the cold and ask if they thought of selling them.
717 718 720 are the same engine just call it a 720. Probably the most reliable engine seadoo made. 787 in the GSX is good compromise for speed and reliability. GSX limited has the 951 is fast but not the highest reputation for reliability.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back