Help First time Poster 96 GTX runs rough/missing

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

paqnelly88

Hello Everyone!!im very new to this forum however,Ive searched all around for information on this and came to a few conclusions on steps to take...

sorry if this problem has been posted...

OK.. I have a 96 Seadoo GTX the that a got from a family friend about 1-2 years ago. Last month is the first time i started messing with it for the first time meaning in was sitting for 1-2 years. Before i got it i was in running condition. My family used to go to the lake where it was kept and ride it every summer. the first order on business was to get a new key programmed since the family who gave it to me lost it a while ago.
So after getting a new battery and new plugs, its started up. However it acted like it was missing a bit.
I soon put in in the water nearby to get a test run and kinda lagged a bit before acceleration but got up to speed at a decent 30-40 mph. Since I knew it was running in the water, i then took it out back to trailer and filled half tank with gas at nearby gas station and went and dropped it back in. It never was the same. so when i returned less then 30 mins later, i could not get passed 5 mph i would rev but go no where then ultimately bogg down and smoke seemed to be coming out of exhaust. I went ahead pulled it out and went home.

So far I have
Changed all the fuel lines to 1/4 fuel lines

clean inline fuel filter that sits near the selector valve

cleaned the selector valve.... sprayed carb cleaner through all ports and seems to be coming out ok

siphoned fuel and replaced it with premium

siphoned about 90% of the oil i could get to and replaced with BBR synthetic blend

i took carbs out and sprayed all down with carb cleaned the 2 little thumbnail filters were clogged big time but got those cleaned out

i re used all the carb gaskets since they seemed ok but i guess i couldn't be sure

replaced the plugs again (i keep seeing oil on them btw when i take them out)

felt a little shock while touched plug wires while engine was running, so i replaced both wires since they seemed cracked and arching out

I then put it back in the water and no change still boggs down and goes no where at WOT and at about 5 mph

I then read that the rectifier could give some of the problems stated above so I disconnected the red wire but seen no differ(only on trailer haven't tried it in the water yet disconnected)

I also took out the Raves Valves and cleaned then up. They were very dirty i used carb cleaner and 400 grit sand paper

Since the rectifier troubleshooting and rave valve cleaning i haven't tried it again in the water since i really cant tell any difference while running on trailer. it still sounds like its missing and jumping around at idle

I just need to know where to look at next if anyone can help me i was thinking of maybe replacing the coil that the plug wires go in. I didn't know it that affects anything. Also does it matter which wire goes on which plug i am wondering if i got them switched even i tried them both ways and didn't notice any difference.

I also did a compression test and both cylinders are at 110psi

Thanks in advance for anyone with any type of help i really appreciate it
David

If 110 is an accurate compression reading, that engine is tired. Grab another gauge and test it again. fuel off, plugs grounded, cold engine, throttle wide open. Take a few reading per cylinder

110 psi per hole is very low compression and a sign that the top end needs rebuilding.

Now 150 psi per hole is more of what you want to see.

Use Adam's advice and report back...

ok just did another comp check with gas off engine cold and tried a different tool and got 140 psi in each cylinder

Try in water with new rectifier or red wire disconnected before doing anything else is what I suggest.

Rob

Give the rectifier a test by unhooking the red wire, I re read your post and saw you said it will rev but not go anywhere: Take a look at your wear ring and your impeller. Also look to see if your reverse gate is going all the way up when you put it into forward and its not hanging down

Bought a new one today already installed and ski is back together gonna take it in water tomorrow morning and see what happens

My 1996 GTX had a trashed wear ring like that too. Ran great otherwise. Replaced the ring and WOW, what a ride. Good year Seadoo to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back