1998 xp limited missing at low rpm

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Dogbite

I've owned this ski for a couple years now, it is in incredible condition and ran great until the tempo fuel lines clogged the carb filters. I replaced all the lines and filters and now it is missing at low rpms. Runs great over 4300 rpm and goes 60 mph but under 4000 it sounds like it's popping out of the exhaust. It will take off from a dead stop like a rocket but not if trying to increase speed slowly. I also tried new spark plugs, any advice?

Have you rebuilt the carbs using genuine Mikuni Parts and verified the accelerator pump is squirting?

No I only changed the filters and didn't want to screw up the carbs. How do I check the accelerator pump?

So I pulled the carbs off, took them apart and they are as clean as can be. No corrosion or anything plugged, pop off is 22 and 24. Low speed adjusters were about a 1/2 turn off from each other. Mikuni kits are on the way.

Carb kits arrived and I think I found the problem. The o ring on the needle seat was leaking on the PTO carb. I am having a heck of a time getting the grommets in on the fuel pump check valves, are there any tricks to this as I have already ruined four of them.

Carb kits arrived and I think I found the problem. The o ring on the needle seat was leaking on the PTO carb. I am having a heck of a time getting the grommets in on the fuel pump check valves, are there any tricks to this as I have already ruined four of them.
They are a real pain, Ive ruined at least one trying to push them through, I found the dental floss trick worked better, it’s still not easy but at least you can get them in without damaging them. If you can find a helper it would help as you really could use 3 or 4 hands. Apply a very small amount of grease or injection oil to the fuel block instead of the grommet, wrap Dental floss around the grommet leaving enough floss for you to get a grip on, don’t tie the floss on but leave 2 ends of the floss, 1 end in each side of the grommet so it will pull through more evenly, once you have pulled it through as far as you can take a small pick and gently and slowly pry it through the rest of the way. You could try heating the grommet with a hair dryer once you have the floss on it, I haven’t tried that yet but might next time. It’s still a pain in the ass but at least they can be installed this way without damaging them.

That sounds like a good ideal. As soon as I receive the replacement grommets I'll let you know how it went. Thanks!

Back