HELP!!! 96xP won't turn on in water but runs fine on trailer.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasonguti

I recently bought a 96 xp seadoo. It ran really slow in water. I took it got a tune up and it turns on the trailer with the water hose connected and stays on. I take it to the water and I'd don't want to start. Sounds like it backfires... Any help is really appreciated. Thank you

First thing to do is a compression test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never done this. I've read that I should check compressions with a cold motor. But do I have to be at full iddle or just have it on.??

I have never done this. I've read that I should check compressions with a cold motor. But do I have to be at full iddle or just have it on.??

Cold engine, spark plugs removes, spark wires grounded, full throttle..

I did the compressions and one cylinder it gave me 110 and the second one gave me 120..????? Is that good or bad.??

I did the compressions and one cylinder it gave me 110 and the second one gave me 120..????? Is that good or bad.??

Most engines very good is around 150. Close to needing rebuilt is 120.

There is one Seadoo engine where 120 is good, but I don't recall which it where I read that. Lou or Tony will know for sure but I'm pretty sure that is your issue.

just my assumption that the 951, 120 may be still good, cuse i recall reading good/brand new compression on that is 135

if compression is the issue (def needs to be addressed, but I don't know if that will stop it from turning over in water), i'm thinking you will need to redo the top end, also, when is the last time you had your carbs looked at?

4 months ago it was running slow at full throttle on the water, took it to a mechanic and he redid the fuel lines and the carbs. Since then it won't turn on in the water, I put it in the trailer and it turns on really quick

he said a 96 xp, so its a 800 motor, and that compression says "help me !!!!" when they are hard to start in the water, its usually a compression problem, or a rotary valve clearance issue on a 800

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back