Help 1998 Sportster 1800 throttle cables

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ejc1234

Hey all
So the latest event to have happened. The throttle cable both left and right are sticking and I can't find the parts. Has anyone bypassed the low idle steering cables and just used a single throttle cable (control handle to carbs).
Or if anyone knows who can rebuild the throttle cables. give me a reply please.

Thanks

OBTW

If they are in South Florida even better!

Repairs...?

Hey all
So the latest event to have happened. The throttle cable both left and right are sticking and I can't find the parts. Has anyone bypassed the low idle steering cables and just used a single throttle cable (control handle to carbs).

Thanks

OBTW

Have you done anything to see if it's binding up somewhere. These cables are suppose to be maintenance free. You would have to have a fray in it or some other issue to cause it to bind. Since you say it's both, seems to me it's going to be in your off power steering system.

When you talk about just using a direct cable, I don't know if thats a smart idea or not. You might find yourself in a jam, backing or just turning and when you tighten the turn and it's not enough, that little bit where your steering picks up response from the motors by goosing the gas, might be all you need to avoid a sticky situation.

I think you should want to keep it the way it is. Have you looked in the SeadooWarehouse to find one? I thought we had this item for sale..... Ouch, I just looked it up. These cables are expensive. Right around $450 bucks for both. That's not counting taxes. Yeah, I'd be looking into seeing if it can be fixed. I guess I can see why your asking about just going direct from the throttle to the carbs.........:(

Hey all

Thanks

OBTW

using the "search" tab, found this thread. Could be very useful for other members as well, that are in your situation.:cheers:

http://seadooforum.com/showthread.php?t=13494&highlight=cables

Where is Hi-Lex? I have the same problem and need to get at Left throttle cable. Still can't find it anywhere. I live in FL panhandle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi lex

Where is Hi-Lex? I have the same problem and need to get at Left throttle cable. Still can't find it anywhere. I live in FL panhandle.

The guy who you need to contact is Paul Byers (269) 441 7324 he is the lead engineer in the lab at Hi lex I asked for a little extra length on mine to let them lay in nice and loose. hope this helped

Took a shot in the dark from this old forum post, and called paul byers for a 1999 speedster right throttle cable. HE IS STILL THERE! Able to get the part#204-390-077, im thinking what they made for this will work! I hope its not too good to be true, will update for anyone that is looking for a cheaper throttle cable made when it comes in next week.

Last edited:
Part came in today, looks like it should work. Will update in a week or so to confirm throttle cable is right replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back