Hawk Eye Depth Gauge Install with pic.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, that is correct. Use the tranducer that is supplied and epoxy( 2 part epoxy) it in the inside of the hull.

Karl

Hey Karl,Did you install the depth finder in your speedster yet? I want to put one on my sportster but theres no room for the guage on my dash.Is there room on yours? I was looking at their surface mount but it looks so tiny.

Lee, my speedster came supplied with a blank in the dash to add the guage, and the wiring was ready to just plug in.

Karl

I ordered one for my speedster too, so you'll have to look for more horse power elsewhere. I might want to replace my clarion CD/AM/FM in the speedster for one that has a remote controller I can install on driver side. The stereo is on the passenger dash. Would you be interested? I haven't used it yet it is model 255,/ with detachable face. Let me know.

are you going to get another clarion? i have a wired remote that i just took out i'd sell ya dirt cheep.

Karl

Is that the DF1000D that you have installed in my boat? I need to download the instructions to figure out what the buttons are for, and maybe make it not beep so often. I assume it is warning me of shallow water:confused:

Works great, by the way. Saved me once in Key West. Thought we were in the channel at 8 and 10 feet and all of a sudden 3.2 feet and I threw it in reverse and got the heck out of there!!!

Scott, I have the instruction booklet here...forgot to give it to you ...I'll send it in the mail. You can't shut off the beeps..I called the mfg...that's the only things that drives me nuts. PM me your address...its done...

Karl

Wow, I just joined this forum and had just recieved my hawkeye depth gauge from ebay yesterday and now see this on install in my 97 sppedster-can't ask for more than that-oh, don't worry I will as I have lots more ?? :)

Scott, I have the instruction booklet here...forgot to give it to you ...I'll send it in the mail. You can't shut off the beeps..I called the mfg...that's the only things that drives me nuts. PM me your address...its done...

Karl
just fill the holle on the back with black permatex. Quiets it down to a light beep and so much more tolerable.

I have one on my 200 speedster too, and it beeps with the same rhythm of the DESS...I keep doing a double take of all the beeps every time, thinking it is going to throw a code. :ack:

Karl

it beeps with the same rhythm of the DESS...I keep doing a double take of all the beeps every time, thinking it is going to throw a code

EXACTLY!!! That is what bothers me.

It is nice when it beeps to warn you of shallow water, but it is the startup beeping that irritates me.

But, I can live with it. The functionality of this gauge FAR outweighs the irritation of the beep.:cheers:

Thats too much...go to e-bay...it sells for like 54.00 plus shipping comes to like 62.00 delivered. The company is in Orlando Florida, NorCross Marine Products. It retails from them direct for like $106.00 go to E-Bay...
I have one in my 200 speedster too...I love it.

Karl

if you get it from the company you get a niftey beer....uh... pop coozie too:cheers:

The e-bay store is cheaper..I paid like $60.00 to my door...retails 109.00 plus tax and frt.:ack:

Karl

:rant:dang! i cant find the site anymore where i got it. it came right from norcross along with the coozie and a bunch of coupons like 25% off my next purchase and i payed $65 plus shipping. did you get that stuff too?

found it. >>>

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, from e-bay I have bought 2 in the past 4 months. I bet like 20 people have got them because of me.

Challenger question

Karl, great post and thanks for all of the information. I have wanted to install a finder this since I got my boat last year. I have an 07 Challenger 180......my question is about the transducer location in the engine compartment....any suggestions?

Thanks,
Chris

I would look for the cleanest area that is in front of or besides the jet pump. The easiest way to find a good spot is to install the guage, and have the transducer sitting in the hull of the doo, where you think you want to mount it. Use 80 grit sandpaper and scuff the fiberglass of the hull location so it is smooth. Then fill the boat with water till the transducer is under the water while setting in location. See if it shoots through the Hull in that location. The water acts as a seal between the transducer and the fiberglass Hull. If it doesn't shoot through the Hull try another spot. When it picks up real good, clean the spot and dry it real good and apply the 2 part slow cure, clear epoxy.
Every model seadoo is different.

Karl

Since we are talking about depths, what is the shallowest I can drive in?

A couple weeks ago, the local bayou was a little low, and most of it was at 4-6', and at one point, at about 35 mph, I hit a spot that said 2.5'. I turned it around and slowly got out of that area toward deeper water.

Not sure if it was a shallow spot, or a sunken tree or something, but 2.5' was a little to close for comfort for me.

Muddy silt bottom, few rocks. Nothing got sucked up.

Anyway, I am very happy with the quick response the Hawkeye gives me. I think it takes 2 readings a second :confused:

We have a 12" draught, right? So piloting in water over solid concrete (i'm thinking of a canal) we could go through about 13 or 14" of water?

I'm also interested in scooper's question about a good depth to avoid sucking up muck :)

If your at an idle it is a safe depth to be at least 18 inches deep. If your at speed you should be ok at least 24 inches. Anything less than that, you be suckin yuck!

Karl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back